First Fire Emblem game.. Am I playing it right?

#1GoonerByronPosted 7/2/2013 5:41:44 AM
Hey..

I'm completely new to the Fire Emblem series and this is my first game... I'm really enjoying it so far but am starting to get worried that I'm going to find out I'm playing it wrong eventually..

So far I'm about 18 hours in, up to around the main chapter 14. I've been taking my time, levelling everybody, doing all the sidequests that pop up etc. The only problem I think I might have is I haven't really put any/much thought into who to pair with who, have mostly just been doing optimized equipment and haven't looked at the skills pretty much at all. When the characters have become maxed I just use a Master Seal and choose whatever class I think looks good/haven't got one of yet.

So as an example, a few of my pairings are my male char/Miriel, Donnel/Panne, Lissa/Stahl, Sully/Fredrik, Lon'qu/Olivia, Tharja/Ricken, Cordelia/Libra, Cherche/Kellam among a lot more. Are these pairings ok or am I going to find out that I've messed up? I haven't experienced any difficulties yet and go through chapters pretty easily so far.

Any advice would be good! Love the game but don't want to think I'm playing it completely wrong!
#2fawful_XPosted 7/2/2013 6:45:19 AM
Pairings don't really matter much unless you're doing Min/Max.

The only pairings that are irredeemably terrible are Gregor/Olivia and Donnel/Inigo, for they don't give anything but caps (and Villager in Donnel's case, but Villager sucks).

Even then, pair whoever you want, but try not to overuse Frederick and the Avatar or grind too much if you want a challenge.
---
RNG can mean "Random Nonsense Generator."
Or it can be used as a synonym for a female merchant with red hair, with no negative connotations.
#3GoonerByron(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 8:03:31 AM
What about changing the class of characters? As I said, so far I've just let them get to Level 20 and then used a master seal so I have Donnel as a hero, Sully as a Paladin etc.. I haven't reclassed anyone, including Nowi and Olivia who are level 30 in their starting classes. Should I be reclassing them?
#4heavylobsterguyPosted 7/2/2013 8:10:35 AM
You should reclass Nowi into a Griffon Knight for a Deliverer since it's a great skill if you use pair-up a lot. As for Olivia, you should just reclass her back to a level 1 Dancer so she can get more stats. You could technically turn her into a Dark Flier for Galeforce, but that really doesn't matter unless you plan to do Apotheosis (the one DLC where it is preferable to have a lot of Galeforce and use children over parents.)
---
The official Slime of the Super Smash Bros Wii U Boards
You know what they say, the more the merrier!
#5OrihimePosted 7/2/2013 10:30:27 PM
If you're not experiencing difficulties in the main game, then you're doing just fine. Just one thing is you didn't mention if Sumia got married. Did she marry Chrom? Sumia has VERY limited choices for husbands and one of her choices, Frederick, was already taken by Sully. So if she didn't marry Chrom in Ch 11, her only other choices are Henry and Gaius , so if you don't want her to be screwed out of getting Cynthia , you might want to keep that in mind.
#6Czar_YoshiPosted 7/3/2013 12:25:47 AM
fawful_X posted...
Pairings don't really matter much unless you're doing Min/Max.

The only pairings that are irredeemably terrible are Gregor/Olivia and Donnel/Inigo, for they don't give anything but caps (and Villager in Donnel's case, but Villager sucks).

Even then, pair whoever you want, but try not to overuse Frederick and the Avatar or grind too much if you want a challenge.

I think you mean Donnel/Olivia there...

Reclass Nowi into a Griffon Rider for Deliverer and then put her back into Manakete. Feel free to chuck around Second Seals as much as you like, you can buy more after cht.16. If this is your first playthrough, there is no "wrong" (except for Maiden!Lucina and missing Gaius) so go with what looks good.
---
"it's that game that is so great it makes you want to destroy your Toilet." -Throwback2780
See how my mustache moves in the wind!