This game's story is vastly underrated *spoilers*

#1Astute_EdgePosted 7/8/2013 11:34:06 PM
First, and foremost, I should introduce myself as one who loves jrpgs with engrossing storylines. Although many people play video games for "the gameplay" (exploration, action, strategy, etc.), to me, storyline is one of the most important aspects of a game. Thus, I often find myself playing through a game just to advance the storyline.

Ahem, now, where to begin? I've read that many people felt the storyline of this game was "meh" at best. I'd have to strongly disagree. Scenes such as Emmeryn's death, Basilio's "near-death", Lucina pointing her sword at MU (if MU is the husband/mother), Basilio's return, and so on, really did have quite an emotional impact. I thought the characters were wonderful -- great personalities which really do help drive the storyline.

I've always love Fire Emblem storylines. My favorite is fe7's (haven't completed fe4 though). Many fans didn't like Sacred Stones (too easy, too short, etc.), but I still felt it had an excellent storyline. It definitely had the darkest atmosphere (even at the beginning, everyone is dying and war has begun), and the ending was really tragic. I particularly liked how Eirika vs. Ephraim's path revealed two different sides of Lyon's personality. The only fe story I felt I tad bit disappointed in was Radiant Dawn's. The conflicts present in the story seemed rather contrived to say the least.

Anyhow, just wanted to say I view Fire Emblem as a series that has great storylines, and this installment did not disappoint! Thanks for reading!
#2DemiseEndPosted 7/8/2013 11:45:48 PM
Astute_Edge posted...

Ahem, now, where to begin? I've read that many people felt the storyline of this game was "meh" at best. I'd have to strongly disagree.

Scenes such as Emmeryn's death

Pre chapter 11 is solid in general

Basilio's "near-death"

I admit, I cheered when he's dead. About damn time

Lucina pointing her sword at MU (if MU is the husband/mother)

I need to point out this scene only make Chrom looks stupid

Basilio's return

And then I booed at this cheap Bullcrap

and so on, really did have quite an emotional impact. I thought the characters were wonderful -- great personalities which really do help drive the storyline.

Yes, there are emotional impact, such as deeply sucking IS's terrible sense at making a storyline that can fall off from the quality of the first eleven chapters into this bullcrap

I've always love Fire Emblem storylines. My favorite is fe7's (haven't completed fe4 though). Many fans didn't like Sacred Stones (too easy, too short, etc.), but I still felt it had an excellent storyline.

We can agree on this one

It definitely had the darkest atmosphere (even at the beginning, everyone is dying and war has begun), and the ending was really tragic.

I disagree. The atmosphere of SS REALLY feels lighthearted. The story is good become they develop their main core of the cast well enough, and their core of the casts are enjoyable in their own rights(Innes, Eirika, Ephraim, L'Arachel to be exact). The whole time you are give the feeling that you entire cast are awesome, and they are.

I think SS is basically Awakening that actually does things correctly. The core cast is awesome, but that they did not become a joke by second half except.... for a certain person

I particularly liked how Eirika vs. Ephraim's path revealed two different sides of Lyon's personality.

I love how Eirika gives major implication that she will become evil. Other than that I preffered manipulative Eph!Lyon than loverboy Eir!Lyon. Both competes on the same side of his issue on a different side, and interesting in their own rights tho

The only fe story I felt I tad bit disappointed in was Radiant Dawn's. The conflicts present in the story seemed rather contrived to say the least.

But Micaiah is downright one of the most entertaining Lords. From the fact that she tried to kill Sanaki in a sadistic ways, and the fact that she is essentially a Seliphified version of FE5!Leif. She is flawed, while everyone else think she is not, which present a rather interesting view on her own rights IMHO.

That being said, leif is still my favorite <3

\

---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#3Neosephiroth666Posted 7/8/2013 11:56:46 PM
I enjoyed the game, but the only scene I particularly felt moved by was Emm's fall. That being said, scenes alone do not make a plot, as any author will tell you. In my opinion, the story was drawn out much more than it should have been, and the time travel mechanic, while neat, was a mess. There is no plot to speak of; prevent war, defeat evil king to end war, defeat some random dude who somehow managed to conquer most of the world behind everyone's back, slay dragon. Done. That's not exactly what I'd call a plot. FE games have never been big on plots, as that has never been their focal point. Strategy, the battles, and the individual characters have mostly. However Awakening lacks this. There is no strategy required unless you impose challenges on yourself, and even then it's minimal at best. While some of the characters are good, the majority of them are simple anime stereotypes.

Being an author(I'm not published yet unfortunately), I too love story and I adore games that focus on it and do it well. A well written plot that forces me to take a step back after I beat the game is incredible. This game did not do that, and I effortlessly figured out the 'twists' well before they occurred. If you want an example of a real plot, and some real beautiful games to boot, here are some of my favorites: the Older FF series(X and before), the Tales_Of series(some are better than others), the Ys series, the Legend of Heroes series, and Growlanser are all great games. I've heard God Eater is an excellent game as well.
---
Every man alive wants to be Adol Christin. Why? He has more women than Bond, can go wherever he damn well pleases, and gods **** their pants when he speaks.
#4Taboo_NekuPosted 7/9/2013 12:00:07 AM
FE: Awakening had an okay plot. I found it very cliche'd. It did have a dark atmosphere compared to other RPG games, but I never felt it during the game. I guess it's just the exposure to SMT games.
---
PSN: NoobKnight
#5SazukeEXPosted 7/9/2013 12:00:53 AM
I would have rather had the game set in a ruined future and you ending up saving it despite everything than Time Travel.
---
Master of all things Fire Emblem Canon.
#6WestbrickVIIPosted 7/9/2013 1:56:16 AM
We've been over the plot's predictability, cheap twists, horrid pacing, and underdeveloped antagonists plenty of times in the past -- what many people still cling to is the idea that the first arc of Awakening is pretty good.

It isn't. The Feroxi arc is silly -- why doesn't Chrom understand the customs of a border nation? why do they waste time and risk their lives fighting in a tournament? why not simply negotiate? why does the Feroxi border patrol believe that strength is a sign that the group must be Ylisseans instead of a strong group of assassins or mercenaries? why does the border patrol let so many soldiers die for no reason? Emmeryn's death would have had more impact if she'd been given time to develop; as-is, we know nothing about her and have little reason to care for her.
---
I prefer ignorance. -- MetaFalconPunch
#7KryptikVersesPosted 7/9/2013 6:13:39 AM
i coulda wrote a better story with a bag of doobie snacks, a number 2 pencil, and a notebook
#8OrangeCrush980Posted 7/9/2013 6:36:07 AM
In before someone bashes FE7's story without citing any reasons
---
How to fix GameFAQs:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/?throwback=1
#9Flamingace18Posted 7/9/2013 6:53:41 AM
7's is alright, but is inferior to 4, 6, and 9's.
---
Texas Rangers fan since 2002, OKC fan since 2008, STL Rams fan since 2010. Oklahoma Sooners fan since 1999. Proud RSU and OU student.
#10arvilinoPosted 7/9/2013 7:21:20 AM
WestbrickVII posted...

It isn't. The Feroxi arc is silly -- why doesn't Chrom understand the customs of a border nation? why do they waste time and risk their lives fighting in a tournament? why not simply negotiate? why does the Feroxi border patrol believe that strength is a sign that the group must be Ylisseans instead of a strong group of assassins or mercenaries? why does the border patrol let so many soldiers die for no reason?

If they didn't fight in the tournament negotiations potentially wouldn't work, if they appealed to one Kahn who decided to help and the other didn't they would have wasted their time if the only one who wanted to help lost the tournament. Plus if they refused to risk their lives in the arena that wouldn't exactly make a compelling reason for the Feroxi want to risk their lives helping a country that refuses to do the same.

Is there any evidence the border patrol your characters fought actually died? Raimi survived. The whole believing thing is just to set up the Feroxi's honoring strength the most, which is another reason negotiations would have failed.

Technically Chrom could have approached Basilio first as he was the current ruling Kahn, but it would be fair to suggest he'd only help if Chrom ensured his place as Kahn that which means Chrom would have to beat his representatives and then fight any representatives Flavia would have giving Chrom's party two battles rather than just the one.

It sounds like you've just got a problem with the Feroxi characters being portrayed consistently rather than the quality of the arc. Do you just have a problem with accepting the concept of it being a warrior nation that favours strength? Since there's not really any outstanding issues with it when you accept that.