This game's story is vastly underrated *spoilers*

#21Astute_Edge(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 9:09:29 PM
Except there comes a point where you can't just say "lol opinion" to defend yourself on quality.

Quality does have a degree of subjectivity associated with it. Objectivity should be used, but even it has its limits.

And Suikoden's stories are NOT their strong suits. They never were.

Really? The only Suikoden game that I've played was Suikoden V, but I thought its strong suit WAS the story. The gameplay mechanics were subpar, the loading time was ridiculous, and the graphics were not that great at all. What kept me through the game was the captivating storyline, which I thought was one of the best on the PS2. I don't know about other Suikoden games, but Suikoden V featured one heck of a storyline.
#22LuminozeroPosted 7/9/2013 11:01:48 PM
I liked the story. I've seen better, I've seen worse, but I enjoyed it.

I don't think it was because of the story itself, but how on my first play through the story seemed so wound around MU and her family. It just made it feel real and engrossing, and I ask for nothing more in a video game story then to be engrossed and absorbed by it.
---
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Bill Watterson
#23MalcolmMasherPosted 7/10/2013 12:20:52 AM
Scenes such as Emmeryn's death, Basilio's "near-death", Lucina pointing her sword at MU (if MU is the husband/mother), Basilio's return, and so on, really did have quite an emotional impact.

I'm going to single out Basilio here, and say that while I like Basilio as a character, I think that the story handles his death-and-return poorly. The idea that Basilio fakes his own death, and then takes advantage of the opportunity to play Nick Fury and screw up Validar's plans, is fine and completely appropriate to Basilio's character. But how's it work? Basilio says that the Avatar realized they couldn't bring the real gems to Plegia after Chrom got Basilio's stone. Which means Basilio was already faking his own death at the time the Avatar came up with the plan. And while Validar wasn't watching Basilio, he was certainly watching the Avatar. For that matter, the idea that Validar was watching the entirety of Team Chrom but not the Fire Emblem itself is pretty silly. And on top of that, I think the "Accept Lucina's Judgment?" scene takes a hit if we consider that apparently, the entire time, the Avatar knew about the presence of Plan Basilio. But no, can't tell Lucina about that, it'd spoil the surprise for the player.

And ultimately, that's the problem. The events concerning Basilio's revival aren't shaped by in-universe circumstances, they're shaped by the desire to provoke the desired reactions from the player. And they are effective in that role, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the scene where Basilio returns. But I don't think it makes the story better.

The Feroxi arc is silly -- why doesn't Chrom understand the customs of a border nation? why do they waste time and risk their lives fighting in a tournament? why not simply negotiate? why does the Feroxi border patrol believe that strength is a sign that the group must be Ylisseans instead of a strong group of assassins or mercenaries? why does the border patrol let so many soldiers die for no reason?

The Feroxi are silly. I would go so far as to say "stupid", on the whole (Basilio is an exception). But the Feroxi arc is fine; stupid people are behaving stupidly, but our heroes need their help, to which end they put up and shut up. (Chrom knowing next to nothing about the Feroxi is poor writing, mind; clearly done so that they can explain it to the player, but it'd be better if Lissa or the amnesiac Avatar were asking the questions instead.)
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#24Bronze_StuffPosted 7/10/2013 2:15:00 AM
Quality does have a degree of subjectivity associated with it. Objectivity should be used, but even it has its limits.

Yes, but "I liked it" doesn't make it good.

Really? The only Suikoden game that I've played was Suikoden V, but I thought its strong suit WAS the story. The gameplay mechanics were subpar, the loading time was ridiculous, and the graphics were not that great at all. What kept me through the game was the captivating storyline, which I thought was one of the best on the PS2. I don't know about other Suikoden games, but Suikoden V featured one heck of a storyline.

Suikoden V's story is actually pretty decent, Suikoden III has a decent one as well. The other ones like Tactics, or the DS one (I forgot its name) aren't too great. I'd say 2 out of 7 is enough to say that they aren't known.

I'm going to single out Basilio here, and say that while I like Basilio as a character, I think that the story handles his death-and-return poorly. The idea that Basilio fakes his own death, and then takes advantage of the opportunity to play Nick Fury and screw up Validar's plans, is fine and completely appropriate to Basilio's character. But how's it work? Basilio says that the Avatar realized they couldn't bring the real gems to Plegia after Chrom got Basilio's stone. Which means Basilio was already faking his own death at the time the Avatar came up with the plan. And while Validar wasn't watching Basilio, he was certainly watching the Avatar. For that matter, the idea that Validar was watching the entirety of Team Chrom but not the Fire Emblem itself is pretty silly. And on top of that, I think the "Accept Lucina's Judgment?" scene takes a hit if we consider that apparently, the entire time, the Avatar knew about the presence of Plan Basilio. But no, can't tell Lucina about that, it'd spoil the surprise for the player.

I can agree with this. It's more of a surprise! We got you. And it literally isn't right because if you are supposed to be the Avatar, you should know what's going on since the character is supposed to be "you." If you were Validar, the lack of explanation would work. But you aren't.

And ultimately, that's the problem. The events concerning Basilio's revival aren't shaped by in-universe circumstances, they're shaped by the desire to provoke the desired reactions from the player. And they are effective in that role, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the scene where Basilio returns. But I don't think it makes the story better.

Yeah. Overall, I'm kinda fine with it because it makes some sense though. Especially when compared to a lot of other things that happen in the game.
---
Jimbo.
#25Strawberry_EggsPosted 7/10/2013 5:12:25 AM
Don't get me wrong, I do like the story, especially when the Avatar is married to Chrom. I recognize that the overall plot is on the poor side and could have been better, but I still enjoyed it.
---
"I bought a ward against [logic] off a traveling fortune-teller. It lets me add two 'n' two and get a pickle."
#26spamamdorfPosted 7/10/2013 7:01:17 AM
It's not the best story, but it serves it's purpose well enough and is helped along by all the great characters in it so I usually let it go