Let's Optimize: Child 10: Laurent

#1Dragonboy86Posted 7/11/2013 3:45:54 PM
Hello and welcome to a series on optimization. This topic was inspired by this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66104587

The purpose of this topic is the following:
1) To investigate new potential pairings
2 To explore old ones and see if there are more variants of builds
3) Debate older ones in an intelligent and polite manner (At least I hope so)
4) To create a directory for newer players who want to min/max or want to play around with pairings.

So how this is going to work is that I list and analyze at least 3 of his possible Fathers and list his father's most desired skills/classes/mods.

So without further ado, I present the mage of practicality, Laurent

Gregor!Laurent
For the most part, this is the go to Laurent pairing and it's easy to why. First off, the mods sort of conflict, but they work themselves out nicely. He still retains a +3 MAG with a respectable +4 SKL. He also gets a usable +1 STR (though he looks weird in a physical class because of the hat...dat freaking hat). In terms of classes, there is Barbarian overlap, but he gets Mercenary and Myrmidon, which is all the he needs for the most part. He gets the infamous Armsthrift Sorcerer set and he even gets a complete VVW set. There isn't much else to say other than this is a powerful set.

Armsthrift Sorcerer
Sol
Vantage
Armsthrift
Tomefaire
Limit Break

VVW Sorcerer/Sage
Vengeance
Vantage
Wrath
Tomefaire/Gamble/Anathema
Limit Break

Ricken!Laurent
Before you all chew me out for the overlap, hear me out. This is was my pairing for my first playthrough and it's really effective at what he does. For the mods, the only mod that matters in this pairing is the +6 MAG. Why? because this is most likely the most powerful magical support character in the game. Access to Dual Guard+ and Dual Support+ is pretty good and thanks to innate access to Tomefaire and Aggressor, his Dual Strikes will hurt pretty damn hard. Sucks he doesn't have a chance to frontline since he only has access to Aegis (if he had Pavise, he would have a chance). Many would argue that this a waste of Ricken, but if he is played to his strengths, you won't be disappointed.

Support Sage/Dread Fighter
Dual Guard+
Dual Support+/All Stats+2
Tomefaire
Aggressor
Limit Break

Stahl!Laurent
It seems like we are wasting a lot of the GK fathers, but for all pretenses sake, this is essentially Ricken!Laurent except he trades in Mage for Myrmidon. Even though the mods are sort of meh (+1 STR and +3 STR), he can pull off a Frontline roll since he gets a complete VVW Sorcerer set. The reason I recommend this set over Ricken!Laurent is that Laurent now has a chance to do the same set, but on a physical class. Not a bad pairing in theory IMO.

Assassin/Berserker Support
Dual Guard+
Dual Support+/All Stats+2
Bowfaire/Axefaire
Aggressor
Limit Break

VVW Sorcerer/Sage
Vengeance
Vantage
Wrath
Gamble/Tomefaire/Anathema
Limit Break

Lon'qu!Laurent
Lon'qu is popular among Magical kids because he doesn't screw their Magic. The mods speak for themselves since Laurent gets a nice +4 MAG and +5 SPD to compliment his VVW set. He also gets the Wyvern Rider tree so he can use Deliverer to some extent. Not much else to say since it's just a really solid pairing.

VVW Sorcerer
Vengeance
Vantage
Wrath
Deliverer/Tomefaire
Limit Break

Do not post yet
---
Now Playing: UMVC3, FE: Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV, TF2
MUDA! x infinity
#2Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 3:46:32 PM
Overall: While Laurent is repetitive in what he does in most sets, it's a reminder that he can play true to most of his strengths.

There are other pairings, but let's start out with these guys so we can have a discussion. See something you don't like? Debate it. See something that can be improved upon? Post it. Found an underrated/good pairing that no one else knows about want to talk about it? Tell us. As long as you need it's about the character in the topic title.

Let's have a good discussion.

References:

TSON enemy Data (Thank MichaelXC for this one):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66034255

Serenes Forest Links:
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/char_max_all.html (Maximum Stats Calculator)
http://serenesforest.net/fe13/skills.html (Skills List)

The weapons lists is too big so just head to the serenes forest site for that and other goodies.

So let's have a good discussion about Laurent

The next topic will be about Lucina since we are out of females to vote for. I'm sort of contemplating on not doing it, but for consistency's sake, I must.
---
MUDA! x infinity
#3guedesbrawlPosted 7/11/2013 3:59:47 PM
Even though from a team standpoint it might be bad, Gaius!Laurent can work very similarly to Lon'qu!Laurent, the major change being trading Delivere... for Sol. Which is nice considering he has Sorceror and Vantage.

Kellam and Frederick can work well with him too, even though he loses Speed with both.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#4TheUltimator25Posted 7/11/2013 4:03:31 PM
Stahl, Gregor, and Lon'qu are pretty much his best fathers. Everyone else is kind of mediocre or bleh for him IMO.
#5Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 7:39:21 PM
dat influx of topics. Bump.
---
MUDA! x infinity
#6HanierPosted 7/11/2013 7:51:29 PM
TheUltimator25 posted...
Stahl, Gregor, and Lon'qu are pretty much his best fathers. Everyone else is kind of mediocre or bleh for him IMO.

I'd put Gaius!Laurent over Lon'qu!Laurent.
#7HeoandReoPosted 7/11/2013 8:13:24 PM
I personally have a soft spot for Lon'qu!Laurent, partly because I enjoy Miriel/Lon'qu from a characterization standpoint and partly because he creates quite possibly the most powerful magical third generation Morgan you can get. With +Magic/-Defense, you can get something ridiculous like 8 magic, 5 skill, and 7 speed on your Morgan. (And Lon'qu makes Laurent's stat mods ridiculous anyway. 4 magic, 5 skill/speed is nothing to sneeze at.) Vantage access even if it doesn't have much else also lets him work well as a Sorcerer since he can run Vantage/Vengeance and it can serve as a bit of insurance against strong things. He also tends to fix a lot of pairing issues that come up with me. (Gregor, Gaius and Stahl are usually needed elsewhere, so Lon'qu is usually around to fill in, since the other kids get other fathers anyway.) I also sometimes use Lon'qu!Laurent as a physical support as an Assassin/Wyvern and he gets to do some fun things like Movement+1/Deliverer to make up for the lack of Galeforce.

Standard
Vantage
Astra
Deliverer
Limit Break
Filler (Tomefaire, Movement+1, Anathema, etc.)

Critical Abuser
Vantage
Vengeance
Tomefaire
Wrath/Anathema/Hex/Dual Support+
Limit Break

Support Role
Tomefaire/Swordfaire/Axefaire
Aggressor
Deliverer
Anathema/Hex/Wrath/Gamble/Dual Support+
Limit Break

On the support side of things, I've also recently found myself favouring Kellam!Laurent over Ricken!Laurent, although I'd say this is mostly because Ricken doesn't really offer that much, skill-wise. Laurent's stat mods are still quite respectable with Kellam as a father, (4 magic, 3 skill, positive defenses) he gets Pavise instead of Aegis which is probably more useful to him as a Sage, and he also gets another interesting class option to work with as a War Monk, since he automatically starts with Axefaire so he can Bolt Axe things all day if he wants to.

Standard
Luna
Pavise
Tomefaire/Axefaire
Dual Guard+
Limit Break

Support
Aggressor
Dual Guard+
Tomefaire/Axefaire
Limit Break
Filler (Dual Support+/Anathema/Movement+1)

Tank/Pseudo Pavise/Aegis
Pavise
Resistance+10
Luna
Limit Break
Filler (Tomefaire, Miracle, etc.)
---
http://hnrs-ff6-sccs.blogspot.ca/
#8duckstalkerPosted 7/11/2013 8:27:16 PM
How about Kellam!Laurent? Kellam and Libra are 2 options if you want to pass down the priest class to Laurent.

My intention is for Laurent's final class to be a Sage, and the primary healer of my group. Thus, he will be alone for the most part. Hence, I'd like for him to get both Renewal and Dual Support+. Since Miriel can only pass on one of the two skills, my best option was to take a father who has the priest class. Libra!Laurent seems a little wasted due to the overlap of the Mage & Dark Mage trees, although the +5 mod to Mag seems a little tempting. Kellam!Laurent may have slightly less Mag, but Kellam also offers Pavise which further adds to my defensive/supportive build for Laurent.

Eventually, his skillset would most probably include Dual Support+ from Miriel, Pavise from Kellam, Renewal from War Monk, Tomefaire from Sage & Dual Guard+ from Great Knight,
#9Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 11:42:37 AM
I almost forgot about this topic. Bump.
---
MUDA! x infinity
#10Dragonboy86(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 1:49:42 PM
I'll give this one more bump.
---
MUDA! x infinity