How would you feel if the magic triangle returned...

#1ClassyCanadianPosted 7/18/2013 11:05:04 AM
...but now, your magic affinity and class actually meant something?

-Monks/Bishops have the highest SPD and SKL of the mages and can double most enemies and hit accurately, and also can crit easily as well. However, they have the lowest MAG, DEF, and RES so they struggle to kill high-RES classes and can be easily killed if left vulnerable. Similar to the Thief and Pegasus Knight classes statistically, maybe even Myrmidon.

-Shamans/Druids have the highest MAG, DEF, and RES classes, which makes them the tankiest and most reliable to throw in the middle of the action. They can deal great damage even against enemies with high RES. However, they have the lowest SPD and SKL and struggle to double enemies and may be double themselves, and rarely have high hit rates. Essentially a combination of the Knight and Fighter classes statistically.

-Mages/Sages are a balance, with decent stats across the board, similar to the Cavalier class. They can't tank like Shamans are double as reliably as Monks, but they don't have any glaring flaws either.

-War Clerics are now anti-mage units. They have the highest RES of all classes and can target the mage's lower DEF stats thanks to their use of axes.
---
http://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/39773762.jpg
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, My OTP: http://i.imgur.com/669f2Lv.jpg
#2Misha-HeartPosted 7/18/2013 11:07:32 AM
yawn.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#3ClassyCanadian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 11:28:21 AM
nobody likes serious topics?

bump
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, My OTP: http://i.imgur.com/669f2Lv.jpg
#4juanyiyiPosted 7/18/2013 11:31:57 AM
Good post.

10/10
---
FE7 Circlejerk Go!
http://i.picasion.com/resize70/21b4a890d274c1039d80ec0efe87746a.gif
#5Metal Gear RaxisPosted 7/18/2013 11:39:54 AM
ClassyCanadian posted...

-Monks/Bishops have the highest SPD and SKL of the mages and can double most enemies and hit accurately, and also can crit easily as well. However, they have the lowest MAG, DEF, and RES so they struggle to kill high-RES classes and can be easily killed if left vulnerable. Similar to the Thief and Pegasus Knight classes statistically, maybe even Myrmidon.

-Shamans/Druids have the highest MAG, DEF, and RES classes, which makes them the tankiest and most reliable to throw in the middle of the action. They can deal great damage even against enemies with high RES. However, they have the lowest SPD and SKL and struggle to double enemies and may be double themselves, and rarely have high hit rates. Essentially a combination of the Knight and Fighter classes statistically.

-Mages/Sages are a balance, with decent stats across the board, similar to the Cavalier class. They can't tank like Shamans are double as reliably as Monks, but they don't have any glaring flaws either.

-War Clerics are now anti-mage units. They have the highest RES of all classes and can target the mage's lower DEF stats thanks to their use of axes.

Weren't the first three pretty much like that?
---
The Nanoha that you've always admired is an invincible Ace who will not lose to anybody.
#6JariuPosted 7/18/2013 11:42:58 AM
Sound nice.
---
I finally fixed my PS2 and my TotA disk is to scratched for it to read, yeah f*** you too PS2.
Massive grinding is still full of shenanigans.
#7Misha-HeartPosted 7/18/2013 11:44:45 AM
Metal Gear Raxis posted...

Monks did have high Resistance, but all three have relatively low defense. Plus, most of them are foot units anyway, so they're all roughly the same.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#8Strawberry_EggsPosted 7/18/2013 11:46:10 AM
With more pronounced differences in Resistances, then I would care about the magic circle. I found that the damage never made much of a difference as magic users tend to have high Resistance.
---
"I bought a ward against [logic] off a traveling fortune-teller. It lets me add two 'n' two and get a pickle."
#9IlluminaZer0Posted 7/18/2013 12:08:31 PM(edited)
Strawberry_Eggs posted...
With more pronounced differences in Resistances, then I would care about the magic circle. I found that the damage never made much of a difference as magic users tend to have high Resistance.

This.

Nosferatu also needs to be unpurchaseable or gone. The only reason it's so obviously OP now is:

1) We have a Dark Mage candidate that isn't mediocre or just bad. Namely MU. Tharja's accuracy is a big problem in harder difficulties, and Henry joins pretty late and can't double many enemies. Even the better Nosferatu candidates (such as Linde) were so fragile as to make Nosferatu tanking a gamble.

2) Nosferatu can be easily and cheaply purchased.
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#10ClassyCanadian(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 12:11:34 PM
Metal Gear Raxis posted...
ClassyCanadian posted...

In theory, yes. In practice, heck no.

Go and play FE7 and FE8. Playable Monks have high enough RES that they never have to worry about weapon triangle disadvantage against Mages. Playable Shamans have high enough SKL and SPD that they don't have to ever worry about missing against enemies or being doubled. I think IS intended for the magic system to work this way but ended up giving all the playable mages the exact same stats so there was pretty much no reason to use one magic class over another.
---