CYOA: Out of Darkness IV-2

#1OsrangerPosted 7/19/2013 7:24:43 PM
... =|... I came back onto this board today and found that my topic closed. Well, I found some apologies which is nice, but it doesn't exactly lighten my mood. I will continue this story, and I will leave where I left off. Not now, I am on vacation and I am quite serious about taking a break from this. I have begun designing the possible sequel, and did a good chunk of it, and I have severely limited access to the Internet. Just getting on here to type this has cost me close to 10% of my battery life and I can only charge my phone for about 3 hours a day. I will be back tomorrow to continue, but until then, I will leave this here.
---
The surest way not to lose is to not play, but where's the fun in that?
If words are power, you'd think that dictionaries would be more interesting.
#2Neosephiroth666Posted 7/19/2013 11:26:47 PM(edited)
Don't worry Os, I'll make sure to Bump this when it needs to be, at least until you get back. I'm really sorry I didn't notice before, the last week flew by without me noticing. I'll do a bump every day until you get back. Sound good?

Edit: I'm exhausted and didn't see in your OP you'll be back tomorrow. If you still wish me to bump from time to time, let me know all right?
---
Every man alive wants to be Adol Christin. Why? He has more women than Bond, can go wherever he damn well pleases, and gods **** their pants when he speaks.
#3odessyfoxPosted 7/20/2013 3:14:14 PM
I just wanted to say sorry the old topic got archived D: I'm still interesting in reading and voting in your cyoa and hope this doesn't get you down :3
#4Neosephiroth666Posted 7/21/2013 4:13:50 AM
Paranoid Preservation Bump. And the Wizard is coming back today! Yay. Now, me sleep... Me exhausted from farming stupid Pink Rathians all night...
---
Every man alive wants to be Adol Christin. Why? He has more women than Bond, can go wherever he damn well pleases, and gods **** their pants when he speaks.
#5Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 4:35:13 PM
ASTOR
---------

You drift in dreamless sleep is at an end. Slowly, you are drawn back into light, back into the world. You awaken in tent, made of a coarse blue fabric. You had fought to get put in here ever since the remaining healers dragged you to the sick tent. There were plenty of men and women there worse than you, and you hated to be surrounded by the dead and dying, in the same tent as the lost causes.

Now you can only think of this place as a prison. Your look down and examine yourself. Angry res scar tissue decorates your body, a remnant of what the healers could not repair. As a fire dragon, you are able to withstand most blazes, but you are not impenetrable, and on your final flight from the tower, you were able to keep Regina shielded, but you could not escape unscathed. You did not realize the extent of the damage done until you set her down.

That was over a week ago. Now, you focus on rehabilitation. You slide out of your cot and use your crutches to stand. You carefully put on a red robe and turn around to find King Zairthe sitting on the single stool in your room.

"Good morning, Astor, I hope you have healed well."

"Your Majesty," you incline your head, "I did not hear you come in."

"Don't bother, Astor. I am much too tired for this." He sighs, and draws his sword, black as night and razor sharp. "Why have you followed me this far, Astor? During these long millennia I have put us through war and death. Even now we have no home, nothing to return to, to win back. I have failed everyone, and yet you, my most faithful subject. Why do you still follow me?"

"Duty, your Majesty. I serve you, because it is my duty to serve Altnoir, and as long as you support Altnoir, I serve you."

"Is that all?" King Zairthe asks you. "Of course it is. You never had the passion Melara had."

"I am not a traitor either, your Majesty." You feel a flash of anger at the mention of her name, but you do not let it show on your face.

"No, you are not. You have followed me into an age of shadows, an age of darkness, one that I brought upon myself. I overextended my hand, in my arrogance, I thought that I should be the caretaker of all south of the Spine. Now I am punished for it. Now, I can only hope that you, Melara, and Thio can bring us out. I am glad that you, at least, are still with me."

He gets up, and you bow as he leaves the tent.
---
If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still have an affect on your life since you saw this question?
#6Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 10:37:27 PM
You hobble out of your tent, on leaning on your crutch, with infuriating slowness. When you are healed, you vow, you will burn it to cinders. You are greeted by daylight as you make your way through the camp, full of soldiers, dejected and weary. The sick tent dominates the camp, and beyond it, the dead. Nero will pay for what was done here.

You turn your attention back to your destination, the sick tent. You brace yourself for the stench of death as you steadily work your way toward it. You must visit Regina this morning. Her leg was burnt much more severely than you were, and has still not been released. Since she was one of the reasons that you ran back into the blaze, you have felt obligated to make sure that she recovers. The other reason, You still have the papers, tucked away in your pack. When you landed a few weeks ago, you were able to stuff them in your rucksack. Zairthe was nowhere in sight, and you had to be sure that they remained safe. Even with Thane captured, there could still be traitors about. They are still there, you checked yesterday, but you have not been able to thouroughly check them yet.

You make it to the sick tent and maneuver your way around the sick and sleeping everywhere. Some had beds, some had straw, but most had nothing but the floor. He had to carefully navigate these ones, confined by your crutch, it takes you a good deal of time to reach the bed you want.
---
If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it still have an affect on your life since you saw this question?
#7Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 9:10:41 AM
You find Regina lying on her back, leg in a cast, arguing with a healer.

"I don't care how bad it is, I want this cast off. You healed by burns weeks ago."

"Forgive me, Lady Regina," the healer replies, "but I cannot release you from our care until you are fully healed. If I let you run off sooner, the wound may get worse. You must understand-"

"I understand that my leg stopped hurting two nights ago, and I was able to walk better than Astor could before you put me in this stupid cast, but you let him walk away, and keep me here instead! Now get me out of this cast, or I will get out of it myself, and when I do, I will find you and beat you over the head with it!" The doctor scurries off, glancing at you pleadingly. You sigh and hobble forward, into Regina's range of vision.

"So much energy, you have there. Do you really have to take it out on him?"

"I don't like to be confined, not when I can be out there doing something, do you have a problem with that?"

"Sometimes we need cages. Cages are not just for keeping people confined. They also keep people safe."

"Who, the people on the inside, or the people on the outside?"

"Both, or sometimes neither."

"You speak rubbish."

"Do I?" You ask, fire in your eyes.

"Yes. No one would want to be caged when they can fly."

"Even the birds have cages, though you would not see them, flying south from beyond the spine to settle on the shores of the Summer Sea, flying north once more when the heat becomes too hot for them to stay. They must do this to survive. It keeps them safe, but it confines them. Without their migrations, if they just decided to stay north too long, they would die."

"The birds still have the choice. I don't! I just want to leave."

"The door is right over there," you say gesturing to the tent flap, "You can leave whenever you want to." You turn back toward the door and begin maneuvering your way back through the tent, back into fresh air.

"Wait! I can't with this cast on! At least help me out of it!"

"If you really want to leave, you will find a way!" You call without looking back. Regina grunts in frustration, but you ignore it. You came to see whether or not she was okay, and you have confirmed that she is just as pleasant as ever.

Her anger, it was not about the cast. There is something else she is angry about, something else she doesn't want to feel trapped by. Perhaps you will find out what.
---
#8Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 7:59:29 PM
On your way out, you brush by Steven.

"Oh, hello Astor," he says, changing direction to walk next to you. "So you saw Regina this morning?"

You give an affirming nod and try and continue on your way. You are not sure where you wish to go, but you have talked to enough people this morning. Your body is aching, and as loathe as you are to admit it, you want to lie down. Perhaps you will examine those notes that you obtained.

"Oh, of course. You have been talking to her an awful lot lately. I just, I just..."

"Spit it out," you demand, annoyed. "If you wish to tell me something, then say it."

"Did she ask after me?" He blurts out blushing.

"I don't know, ask her yourself."

"How don't you know?" Steven asks incredulously, "Er, sorry, but you were the one who talked to her."

"Women, and men, don't always say what they mean, or mean what they say. She was angry about something this morning, I don't know what, but it might have had something to do with you."

Steven's face reddens as you talk, but you continue. "Then again, it could have been about nothing to do with you at all, but you won't know unless you get your act together and ask her yourself."

Steven snaps to attention, "I will be right on that sir." He tells you, before heading off to the sick tent with a purpose. Finally you can retreat to your tent in peace and begin to go over your notes.
---
#9Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 11:37:53 PM
REGINA
---------

You are still simmering at what Astor said to you when you are greeted by Steven. You almost nearly snapped at him as he walked up to your side. You managed to stop yourself just in time. If he is going to ask you, if he ever will ask you, snapping at the big fellow will probably make him think you were mad at him, and might make him never ask at all. He hasn't asked you yet, maybe he never will. The bloody oaf wouldn't know she wanted him to do it even if she told it to his face! You push all of that inward conversation aside, as Steven starts to speak.

"Um, good morning Regina. How are you this morning?"

"Wonderful. I am confined to this bed and no one will let me leave." and the man I love won't buck up and say he loves me

"I am sorry about that. I am sure that you will be better soon." He looks around the tent nervously, before settling on his shoes, as the most captivating presence in the room."

"I just wanted to make sure you were well."

"Is there anything else you came in for?" You ask. He must have noticed the irritation in his voice, because he seems to become more intent on his feet. You only wish that he would ask you already. If you could, you would ask the oaf yourself and this would be over with.

"No," he mumbles, and he begins to walk away, and as he does, your hopes begin to deflate, as they have every day for the past year, ever since you first had a crush on him. Thinking the conversation done, you turn on your side, away from him, so you don't have to see him walk out on you for yet another day.

"Do you love me?" The question takes you by surprise. You sit straight up, and stare at Steven mouth agape, Yes! Of course I love you! you are so excited that you don't realize you haven't actually answered his question to caught up in his own thoughts.

Steven, needing an answer, presses you once more, coming to the bedside, "Well do you, Regina? Some days you seem to try and melt my heart and other days, you break it to pieces! I need to know! Do you-"

"Yes!" You manage to splutter. "Of course I love you, you big dummy, I thought that you would never ask!" You wrap your arms around him and try make to leap into his arms, but the fire that shoots up your leg at the effort dissuades you.

"Well then," Steven says, face red. "There is something else I must ask you. His face is the color of beets, and you begin to wonder if you look the same way, but you push the thought from your mind. This is much too exciting.

"Regina," he says, getting down on one knee, "would you marry me?" He presents you a golden ring. Silver horses are engraved along the length of the golden band, and two golden horses rise up to nestle an emerald, the color of the rolling plains of the fields of Iocas, between their snouts.

"Of course!" You giggle in delight. If your leg were up to it, you feel like you could pick up Steven and dance. He gently places the ring on your finger. It was not made for his large hands, but seemingly, just for yours, as the ring fits perfectly.

"I love you!" You tell Steven once more, trapping him in the largest hug which you could muster. You think that you can just make out his sigh of relief.
---
#10Osranger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2013 12:35:14 AM
????
------

"I have told you to stay away from them! You must not interfere!"

"I have not gone near any of them, great Weaver."

"Be quiet Solos. You have thought about it, the thought has occurred to you, and if you so much as appear to him, it may alter what is."

"I thought you knew everything, oh Great Weaver."

"You know that we lie seperate from the pattern, and our interference interrupts it. Now we have known each other too long for that."

"Have we now? Why all of the pleasantries now, Occulance? They whisper behind my back. You, who used to be a implacable wall to me has opened up. I thought I could never make the stoic watcher smile, but I have. Why? Is... Is he returning?"

"I always knew of your end, just as I have known of your beginning. What I didn't I so is how... fond, I would grow of you."

"What is that supposed to mean!"

"You are going to die soon, and I will be sad to see you go."

"... Tell me, how will it happen?"

"I cannot. I am sorry."

"Give me something! For our friendship, there must be something you can do!"

"If he fails, you will surely die."

"Then you can guide them!"

"I cannot, and neither can you.

"Why not? Do you not know If they will succeed, what path they will take to get there?"

"I-I cannot. I once saw the way clearly, but now all I see is darkness. Their wills are far too strong. The threads weave to accomadate them. The way forward is no longer clear to me."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. There must be something you can see."

"Heh, there is one danger, one that looks far above the others."

"Nero?"

"No, not Nero, but Nero's most dangerous servant. In more threads than any other have they fallen to his blade."

"This is very dramatic. Whose blade is it exactly?"

"The Lion of Altnoir the common folk call him. He calls himself Solomon."

"Perhaps he thought it was funny."

"Maybe. He is more or less a mercenary."

"Perhaps he can be turned toward his cause."

"Maybe."

"Why maybe."

"Solomon is dangerous. You have not see what he can do."

"Then show me."

"He will dream it then, there is no escaping that. It is one thing to see, it is another to show. He will see what I show you in his dreams as if it is his own."

"Dreams have never hurt anyone."

"I have warned you. Take my hand."

"Let's take a look at this Lion of yours."
---