Why do people hate Lyn?

#31ArtiRockPosted 8/16/2013 9:58:01 PM
Fargus is too hard without Florina? I don't understand. You can just walk around the entire map.

As for Lyn, saying she has Lyn mode really does not mean much. Unless you go out of your way to make sure that Lyn gains a ton of levels, it just helps her to be on par with the lords when she rejoins later. Level 4 (non-tutorial mode Lyn) is far too low in level for that to be an honest level. 7-9 is more realistic.

Regardless, Lyn hatred is a knee-jerk response to all of the people the love Lyn used to get when people would say "she dodges everything and criticals everything." The reality is that she was just a so-so unit. Not terrible, not great.
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
#32Misha-HeartPosted 8/16/2013 10:59:04 PM
ArtiRock posted...
Fargus is too hard without Florina? I don't understand. You can just walk around the entire map.

As for Lyn, saying she has Lyn mode really does not mean much. Unless you go out of your way to make sure that Lyn gains a ton of levels, it just helps her to be on par with the lords when she rejoins later. Level 4 (non-tutorial mode Lyn) is far too low in level for that to be an honest level. 7-9 is more realistic.

Regardless, Lyn hatred is a knee-jerk response to all of the people the love Lyn used to get when people would say "she dodges everything and criticals everything." The reality is that she was just a so-so unit. Not terrible, not great.

Florina can reach Fargus a lot faster than your other units can because she can fly. She can also go past the trigger line that causes the middle group to start moving.

Lyn is really only good in Lyn Mode because it's relatively short, the competition is fairly small(The only units better than Lyn are Kent, Sain and Florina. Everyone else is either about the same or worse) and she has a good prof weapon. In Eliwood/Hector mode, she is literally Guy but with no benefits post-promotion in exchange for the Mani Katti.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#33DemiseEndPosted 8/16/2013 11:05:51 PM
Florina - Drops Marcus - Get one of SS or LR

If I don't want to train Bartre, I would gladly use this to beat the damn thing
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it
#34anondumPosted 8/16/2013 11:11:51 PM
avoid actually works in FE7 so lyn with 20+ speed is durable enough. lyn mode levels and her manni katti make her at a minimum "good"
#35ArtiRockPosted 8/16/2013 11:26:58 PM
Misha-Heart posted...
ArtiRock posted...

Florina can reach Fargus a lot faster than your other units can because she can fly. She can also go past the trigger line that causes the middle group to start moving.

Lyn is really only good in Lyn Mode because it's relatively short, the competition is fairly small(The only units better than Lyn are Kent, Sain and Florina. Everyone else is either about the same or worse) and she has a good prof weapon. In Eliwood/Hector mode, she is literally Guy but with no benefits post-promotion in exchange for the Mani Katti.

No, I get that, that does not explain how it is "too hard without Florina skip."
---
This is the duty of the Grim Angels.
#36Misha-HeartPosted 8/16/2013 11:56:51 PM
anondum posted...
avoid actually works in FE7 so lyn with 20+ speed is durable enough. lyn mode levels and her manni katti make her at a minimum "good"

It isn't Axe-land forever and Lyn's avoid isn't that good without weapon triangle support. Later on, the Mani Katti loses worth since mounts become less common and Lyn doesn't one-round without a critical.

ArtiRock posted...
No, I get that, that does not explain how it is "too hard without Florina skip."

You'd have to walk all the way around, fighting a bunch of Pirates and Damian's guys right behind. It's much quicker and easier to just do it with Florina since she won't get hit by anything.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Oh Poor soul who has lost their love, I will make your heart race once more!
#37anondumPosted 8/17/2013 12:05:19 AM
yeah, and? the harder maps show up earlier on when you don't have your really good units yet. not saying the later maps are easy, but when you get your full team set up things calm down a little. that's why erk is so highly rated in HHM despite not being used in the end game. he's got a solid 10 chapters of being your best and probably only mage. lyn's ability to dominate early on with her manni katti makes her a lot better than she normally would be.
#38The Fir CoatPosted 8/17/2013 12:50:13 AM
Swordlocked before promotion. Never gets a mount or 1-2 Range. Takes EXP from better units (Broken ass Cavaliers). I still think she's better than Eliwood on the strength of the Mani Katti alone though.
---
======,-' . . . . \###/ . . . .__. . . . ,'======= Auto Phoenix?!?
=====,-' . . . . . . . . . ./###\ . . ,'======== I'm boned!!
#39LuminozeroPosted 8/17/2013 1:39:35 AM
I liked Eliwood as a character, as a unit he never came out good for me. He was slow for much of the game, with decent strength, but not reliable doubles. Lyn was a quicker promote, used the same kinds of weapons, had similar strength, and enough speed/skill to actually double/dodge consistently.

Hector, as expected, usually wound up being my Lord power hitter. Problem with Lyn was that she didn't have the raw attack power for me to do much more then minion sweep. Eliwood was slightly better, but got doubled by everyone and their cousin in the end game.

Hector would usually get doubled as well, but he was such a beast he'd usually be ok and still able to kill something if I give him a Brave Axe. They all had their weaknesses, but Eliwood's was certainly the hardest for me to work around.
---
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Bill Watterson
#40DemiseEndPosted 8/17/2013 2:58:32 AM
Fargus is pretty hard when you need to bring and train a deadweight on the map, and you tried to fight everything to get both the Sleep Staff and Lancereaver >_>

Those level 15 Mages are pretty annoying because they can kill Marcus, which is annoying
---
Real Metal bounces their breast. Deal with it