How to play the game "properly"?

#1Mister_KittyPosted 8/19/2013 4:41:27 PM
I completed my first playthough last night. I played on normal with the permanent deaths on, and I want to try a run on hard mode but I don't think I'd be able to do it with the amount of trouble normal gave me (at least not the way I played the first time).

I didn't grind whatsoever. I didn't use second seals or w/e they're called, everyone was their default class until lvl 20 and then I promoted them. I hardly built relationships; I only got 2 marriages (Tharja/Virion and Avatar/Kellam) because they happened to be next to each other a lot. 10 units died. I just wanted to play through the story.

I tried hard mode for a while and it was pretty obvious that it ain't gonna happen unless I change the way I play. This is where I need help.

1. Are there any units that are not worth using? The only one that stood out to me as "bad" was Panne, she was good at first but near the end she was pretty weak and enemies seemed to target her a lot.

2. When is the best time to promote/change class? I waited until level 20 to promote, but would it be better to do it at level 10 so they become more powerful sooner? Secondly, I'll be using a lot of second seals (lol getit) this time so I can change the units I dont like into the units I do like. Do I do this before or after promoting?

3. I only paired units a few times. Should I do this more often or should I stick to just placing units next to each other?

If there's anything else I missed, please let me know.
#2Huff n puff 20Posted 8/19/2013 4:48:10 PM
1. Donnel -_-''
2. Promote at 20. Second Seal at earliest even level your willing to (Or as a guide: 10 Unpromoted, 15/16 promoted; 10 Promoted if you don't care for the L15 Skill of that class; and 30 for Special Classes, except Villager, which should be SS'd at 10 unless you want Underdog, in which case SS at 16.)
3. Pair Up is a main mechanic of game. Use it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/vSQXpF4.jpg (Cutest Giant Robot ever)
http://i.imgur.com/rc9CO0c.jpg
#3Wandering__HeroPosted 8/19/2013 4:49:42 PM
Actually if you've lost a lot of peeps and bothered raising him at all, I highly recomend Donnel. Change him to a mercenary, of course.
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#4MagnemightPosted 8/19/2013 4:50:36 PM
Pair-up is the biggest difference between survival in Normal mode and Hard mode. It feels like you're only using half your army, at first, but it quickly becomes obvious that having one super-unit is better than two weaker ones. Just look at what stats each unit gives in a Pair-Up situation and pick optimal pairings.

And while nearly every unit can be useful, you want to avoid raising too many units. You want to raise around 12, maximum, so you've got to be choosy about who you decide to raise and who you don't. Keeping the entire army around the same level doesn't work outside of Normal mode, and even then (as you've experienced) doing so is hard.
---
Magikoopa Security Force: Defend against a Shy Guy onslaught!
Download the demo (offsite topic): http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14596
#5DlordflashPosted 8/19/2013 4:54:25 PM
Mister_Kitty posted...
I completed my first playthough last night. I played on normal with the permanent deaths on, and I want to try a run on hard mode but I don't think I'd be able to do it with the amount of trouble normal gave me (at least not the way I played the first time).

I didn't grind whatsoever. I didn't use second seals or w/e they're called, everyone was their default class until lvl 20 and then I promoted them. I hardly built relationships; I only got 2 marriages (Tharja/Virion and Avatar/Kellam) because they happened to be next to each other a lot. 10 units died. I just wanted to play through the story.

I tried hard mode for a while and it was pretty obvious that it ain't gonna happen unless I change the way I play. This is where I need help.

1. Are there any units that are not worth using? The only one that stood out to me as "bad" was Panne, she was good at first but near the end she was pretty weak and enemies seemed to target her a lot.

2. When is the best time to promote/change class? I waited until level 20 to promote, but would it be better to do it at level 10 so they become more powerful sooner? Secondly, I'll be using a lot of second seals (lol getit) this time so I can change the units I dont like into the units I do like. Do I do this before or after promoting?

3. I only paired units a few times. Should I do this more often or should I stick to just placing units next to each other?

If there's anything else I missed, please let me know.

1. I never use panne but I hear she's a good wyvern rider when reclassed, I would typically stay away from ricken unless your grinding too he was never good for me. Also typically whatever you did in your previous run can be done again only in harder difficulties your gonna have to limit the number of characters you use to less, you typically gain less exp in higher difficulties and enemy units have higher numbers and higher stats so you need to feed your exp to a smaller group.

2. depends on what you want. I don't typically go straight to an advance class until i reach level 20, unless I plan on reclassing that character then I'll reclass at 10 to get some skills. waiting till your promoted to reclass is your choice but just know that an advance class cannot promote to an advance class unless they reach lvl 10 first in the advance class their currently in. otherwise they only have the base classes as reclass options.

3. Pairing is always nice, just don't over use it to the point where units you plan on using lose out on possible exp and lag behind everyone else.
---
3DS FC: 4897-6258-8667
#6rpgking2006Posted 8/19/2013 4:56:22 PM
The first time I completed hard mode I didn't use second seals because I didn't really understand how they worked. They definately make the mode, much, much easier.

Avoid Fred and Say'ri. maybe watch out giving two much experience to units that you won't end up using, especially early game with Fred (I tend to immediately de-equip him and make him a pair-up unit in the back in chapter 1).

having marriages is pretty useful, so i'd just recommend making sure you maximise the amount of support you build wherever possible (for instance a pair can only get a max of 27 points per chapter, so after this is met, you might want to swap your units around so everyone is still getting support points), more detailed info on support is available on serenesforest.net
---
"Should I divorce my wife if she turns out unable to pass galeforce onto my child?" - N7Paladin
#7Huff n puff 20Posted 8/19/2013 4:57:40 PM
Magnemight posted...
but it quickly becomes obvious that having one super-unit is better than two weaker ones.

QFT.
ALWAYS.
*Glares*
---
http://i.imgur.com/vSQXpF4.jpg (Cutest Giant Robot ever)
http://i.imgur.com/rc9CO0c.jpg
#8RDS1Posted 8/19/2013 5:09:00 PM(edited)
1. It really depends what you mean by "using". For example, Frederick isn't a very good character to bring along later in the game, but his Pair Up bonuses, high Move, and defenses make him very helpful in the early chapters, especially if you unequip his weapon so he won't steal kills from your weaker units. On the other hand, you have Donnel, who's almost completely useless when he joins you, but if you can be bothered to train him to level 15 and reclass him, he'll quickly become one of your stronger characters (one might not consider this a worthwhile investment, though). In your case, Panne is "bad" mostly as a result of her starting class not being particularly great.

2. I've heard that the best time to promote is at level 20, and the best time to reclass is level 10 for unpromoted units and level 15-16 for promoted units. Generally, it's better to use a Second Seal before promotion if you have an unpromoted class with skills you want, but otherwise I think it's better to promote first and then just Second Seal to another promoted class later.

3. Yes. You should pair up a lot, especially later on when you have more units and can handle shrinking your army better (I find myself using Pair Up less in the early chapters, because I find having "extra" units to make a wall around my weaker units (or more ranged attackers to gang up on a single unit) is generally more helpful than a marginal stat boost in the short term).

Edit: Also, I've been hearing stuff about "don't use Say'ri" a lot lately, and I still don't understand it. Say'ri is a perfectly useable character in Hard mode and she's been a helpful contributor to my team every time I've played the game.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#9VascelaPosted 8/19/2013 5:22:13 PM
Huff n puff 20 posted...
Magnemight posted...
but it quickly becomes obvious that having one super-unit is better than two weaker ones.

QFT.
ALWAYS.
*Glares*

I'll disagree. You can't really rely on dual strike; thus, you lose out a bit on damage. You lose out on mass of the army as well (just taking up space enemies can't occupy).

Really minor boons to not pairing up. Still, pairing up has way more perks to simply ignore.
#10EndgamePosted 8/19/2013 5:56:46 PM
how to play Awakening properly?

simply put: you don't
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert