As someone who has never played a Fire Emblem game

#1BlindKenshi326Posted 8/20/2013 7:51:08 AM
Would this be an ideal game to pick up and start off with?

I'm getting a 3DS soon to prepare for Pokemon Y and I was wondering on other games to pick up and the title has always interested me. I've just never had a chance to play one before now.
---
"Welcome to the Gamefaqs message boards. Where QQ is the battle cry and logic and sanity are banned." - BlackSpiral
Black 2 FC: 0906-1130-8170
#2EndgamePosted 8/20/2013 7:55:21 AM
this is not a real Fire Emblem, so no
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#3JarOfGunzPosted 8/20/2013 7:56:09 AM
It depends. What genres do you like in general?
#4BlindKenshi326(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 7:56:37 AM
Endgame posted...
this is not a real Fire Emblem, so no

Can you elaborate on that? I'm completely devoid of any knowledge on the Fire Emblem series as a whole and I'd really like to know if the game is worth it or not.
---
"Welcome to the Gamefaqs message boards. Where QQ is the battle cry and logic and sanity are banned." - BlackSpiral
#5BlindKenshi326(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 7:58:36 AM
JarOfGunz posted...

Don't really have a specific one that I like. I'll play any game as long as it keeps me entertained.
---
#6Strawberry_EggsPosted 8/20/2013 8:03:06 AM
Ignore Endgame. Seriously. -_-;

Awakening is arguable the best game in the series to serve as an introduction to it and the sub-genre in general. It's very newbie friendly and difficulties to adjust as need be for your level of experience and expertise.
---
"What good is having friends if they don't put you in mortal peril every once in a while?" - Melody Muns, The Rithmatist
#7JarOfGunzPosted 8/20/2013 8:04:53 AM
BlindKenshi326 posted...
JarOfGunz posted...

Don't really have a specific one that I like. I'll play any game as long as it keeps me entertained.

In that case I would recommend this game. I have invested over eighty hours (a little excessive, I know xD) on my first save file. It's a really great game and arguably one of the best 3DS games to date. There's also animal crossing new leaf which garnered positive reviews as well.
#8BlindKenshi326(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 8:05:06 AM
Strawberry_Eggs posted...

Awakening is arguable the best game in the series to serve as an introduction to it and the sub-genre in general. It's very newbie friendly and difficulties to adjust as need be for your level of experience and expertise.

So overall it's a good game to start with even if I've never played any of the other Fire Emblem games? I won't be lost on story or background or whatever?
---
#9fawful_XPosted 8/20/2013 8:10:10 AM
BlindKenshi326 posted...
Strawberry_Eggs posted...

So overall it's a good game to start with even if I've never played any of the other Fire Emblem games? I won't be lost on story or background or whatever?

There are a few references to a past game, namely Marth, which has an in-game explanation. You may also be a little lost on some of the DLC and bonus box units, though that's not important to the plot. Tiki also returns from Marth's games, but requires no real story explanation (other than growing up) to justify her appearance.

If you were to start on, say, Radiant Dawn, you could likely get lost since it's a sequel to Path of Radiance.
---
RNG can mean "Random Nonsense Generator."
To find out what the X means, think of any number other than an imaginary one, for the X is a variable.
#10Strawberry_EggsPosted 8/20/2013 8:11:14 AM
Oh no, definitely not on story. While Awakening does take place in the same universe as several earlier games in the series, the story is quite stand-alone. You will only miss a few references, but they aren't to the main plot and it's easy to follow without having played previous games.
---
"What good is having friends if they don't put you in mortal peril every once in a while?" - Melody Muns, The Rithmatist