New Advance Wars battle system

#1Sick_HappyPosted 9/3/2013 12:21:02 PM
Just finished the main story in FE:A. Need them to announce the next Advance Wars already!

I was thinking though, how likely is it they will use a similar battle system where your units automatically support/enhance adjacent units? I think it would work quite well for Advance Wars. What do you think?
#2I_eat_tablesPosted 9/3/2013 4:12:57 PM
I don't really see how it would work for Advance Wars. That's a tactical game, units are built and die and more are built. There's no real connection between units, and no motive for supports. It would likely be a net negative effect gameplay wise - it encourages keeping units together which makes defensive strategies stronger - being aggressive requires separating at least the first unit from the group, and likely making multiple attacks with lone units, while the defender has all their units with two-three neighbours, getting bonuses for turtling. And defensive strategies are generally boring and often OP - look at Grit AW1, AW2 and AWBW, in the broken tier because of his strong tanking. Only AWDS changed that, and only because infantry got broken in that one.

The main thing that makes supports work is that you have units who form bonds over multiple battles, and it makes sense - you care about the characters and the characters care about each other. In AW, units are just faceless... well, units. They could get adjacency bonuses, but it wouldn't really be supports, and it wouldn't be a good mechanic.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#3businessman999Posted 9/3/2013 4:20:26 PM
The CO could support the units around him
---
Platinum [4941 4097 8342] Black [1034 0817 0882] White 2 [4170 2373 8416]
Use my white 2 fc
#4Wandering__HeroPosted 9/3/2013 4:25:29 PM
Try Battle for Wesnoth, thats as close as you'll get to a FE/AW hack, and it is a free game. A bit of a learning curve and more like than FE (theirs no true hit. Deal with it), but awesome when you get around that
---
Click the sites these contain to donate to charity for free http://www.thenonprofits.com/
#5Lylat_CruiserPosted 9/3/2013 4:31:19 PM
*Comes in*
Advance Wars? Somebody said Advance Wars?
*Sees that there are no news for a new Advance Wars*
*Leaves*
---
Fire Emblem. It's in my genes! >=D
"I'm respecting your privacy by knocking but asserting my authority by coming in anyway!"
#6fawful_XPosted 9/3/2013 5:22:21 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
*Comes in*
*Leaves*

---
I-it's the muscle lords!
Suffers from spontaneous drowsiness.
#7rpgking2006Posted 9/4/2013 12:39:52 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
*Comes in*
*Leaves*

---
"Should I divorce my wife if she turns out unable to pass galeforce onto my child?" - N7Paladin
#8Rideps1Posted 9/4/2013 12:57:12 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
*Comes in*
*Leaves*

---
I could use some readers for my CYOA. /shamelessplug. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/66148986
Saxon/Palazzo 2016
#9CrunchSlamchestPosted 9/4/2013 2:05:34 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
*Comes in*
*Leaves*

---
http://i.imgur.com/1aW2iRC.gif
#10ZarkaiPosted 9/4/2013 2:24:09 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
*Comes in*
*Leaves*

---
Brawl FC: 2535-8433-3957
Pokemon White: 5414-9704-6624