Does this game have canon pairings?

#21americancheezePosted 10/22/2013 8:02:26 PM
Not really any canon pairings, but there is (at least IMO) very strong evidence to make two things very canon (not including Chrom x Sumia, which is strongly hinted):

1 - FemAvatar x Chrom is NOT canon, as the Lucina - Morgan siblings dialogue is the generic Lucina sibling one, which causes Morgan to act like he has his memories when the post-game mentions he never gets his memory back.

2- The parent of Morgan is likely one of the people from the future, as he is theorized to come from an alternate timeline (the new future and not the original), and the amnesia being born from a time paradox and getting yanked back in time makes a lot of sense, And it keeps Morgan from having siblings, which is a smoother fit considering most of the future group acts like they just met Morgan.
---
Real cheeze taste, zero calories.
"Remember, friends don't let friends get pulled up to the ceiling by horrid mutant beetle creatures."
#22TheRPGKeyPosted 10/22/2013 8:14:30 PM
SlashReturns posted...
Sea_Wyvern posted...
Silvrestorm is referring to Inigo's philandering ways, which make a lot more sense if he learned from Virion's example.

I'm aware, and my point is still correct. He even TELLS Olivia flat out it's because of her. His father has nothing to do with it, so the Virion!Inigo theory makes zero sense if you actually read.

yeah dosnt he say something along the lines of she told him to chase girls so he would stop being nervous
#23renuacPosted 10/23/2013 11:50:47 AM
americancheeze posted...
1 - FemAvatar x Chrom is NOT canon, as the Lucina - Morgan siblings dialogue is the generic Lucina sibling one, which causes Morgan to act like he has his memories when the post-game mentions he never gets his memory back.

While it doesn't make FeMUxChrom any more or less canon, it is worth noting that this is actually a translation error. In the Japanese version, Morgan's line about Lucina keeping Falchion by her side is different from that of her other potential siblings - while the others say that she always kept the sword by her side in the future, Morgan says that she usually/normally keeps the sword with her, talking about their present.
#24Strawberry_EggsPosted 10/23/2013 12:13:02 PM
Hmm, that's actually rather interesting. I figured Morgan remembering Lucina was a case of him regaining a few vague memories of his sister, much like he regains a vague memory of his father. The line about her always carrying it in the future was just a slightly clumsy handling. Well, there goes that idea.

This isn't the first case where 8-4 Ltd. mixed up the tenses. In Owain's Paralogue, when Lissa asks Lucina if she is still alive in the future, Lucina spoke about her in the past tense in the Japanese version rather than the present tense in the English. This is why for the longest time, people thought Lissa was still alive in the future.
---
"What good is having friends if they don't put you in mortal peril every once in a while?" - Melody Muns, The Rithmatist
#25americancheezePosted 10/23/2013 12:27:11 PM
renuac posted...
americancheeze posted...

While it doesn't make FeMUxChrom any more or less canon, it is worth noting that this is actually a translation error. In the Japanese version, Morgan's line about Lucina keeping Falchion by her side is different from that of her other potential siblings - while the others say that she always kept the sword by her side in the future, Morgan says that she usually/normally keeps the sword with her, talking about their present.

That's not even the line I was mainly referring to. I was talking about how he talks about recalling how Chrom acted as a father in detail, when Morgan by default remembers pretty much nothing about the non-Avatar parent and only remembers an expression at the end of their own thing.
---
"Remember, friends don't let friends get pulled up to the ceiling by horrid mutant beetle creatures."
#26renuacPosted 10/23/2013 2:20:30 PM

americancheeze posted...
That's not even the line I was mainly referring to. I was talking about how he talks about recalling how Chrom acted as a father in detail, when Morgan by default remembers pretty much nothing about the non-Avatar parent and only remembers an expression at the end of their own thing.

Ah, my mistake then. Although I always took that part as Morgan thinking that being scolded like that felt like a family-kind of interaction, rather than outright remembering similar past interactions with his father and sister. Actually, that's pretty much how I read that situation for all the generic sibling supports, given how little any of Lucina's siblings actually seem to remember about their father.
#27Strawberry_EggsPosted 10/23/2013 3:38:53 PM
americancheeze posted...

Um, no he doesn't The most he ever says about his father in those supports is this:

-Morgan: Aw, are you still down about that? I actually rather enjoyed it. I can't remember the two of us ever getting in trouble like that before. It felt...strangely familiar somehow. Kind of a happy, nostalgic feeling.

If anything, those last two sentences reinforces the idea that he has no memories of Chrom or Lucina, just a possible nostalgic feeling. It's kind of odd for him to say "I can't remember the two of us ever getting in trouble like that before," considering he has spent anywhere from a few days to a month or so with his forgotten sister and father, but it's the truth. He doesn't remember the two of them getting into trouble, even if it did happen before.

Looking over their sibling supports, I think it's more than just a tense mix up. Morgan says " In the future, you always kept it by your side." Not just "you always kept it by your side." He also says, "And since we've been back here," rather than just saying " I've maybe moved it from tent to tent once or twice." If the original Japanese had him saying "you always keep it by your side," then either 8-4 or NoA deliberately changed it. Perhaps they wanted to better reinforce the idea that Morgan has recovered a few vague memories.

This is pure conjecture on my part, though. Maybe it is an honest (if odd) mistake.
---
"What good is having friends if they don't put you in mortal peril every once in a while?" - Melody Muns, The Rithmatist
#28americancheezePosted 10/23/2013 4:05:05 PM
Strawberry_Eggs posted...
americancheeze posted...

Um, no he doesn't The most he ever says about his father in those supports is this:

-Morgan: Aw, are you still down about that? I actually rather enjoyed it. I can't remember the two of us ever getting in trouble like that before. It felt...strangely familiar somehow. Kind of a happy, nostalgic feeling.

If anything, those last two sentences reinforces the idea that he has no memories of Chrom or Lucina, just a possible nostalgic feeling. It's kind of odd for him to say "I can't remember the two of us ever getting in trouble like that before," considering he has spent anywhere from a few days to a month or so with his forgotten sister and father, but it's the truth. He doesn't remember the two of them getting into trouble, even if it did happen before.

Looking over their sibling supports, I think it's more than just a tense mix up. Morgan says " In the future, you always kept it by your side." Not just "you always kept it by your side." He also says, "And since we've been back here," rather than just saying " I've maybe moved it from tent to tent once or twice." If the original Japanese had him saying "you always keep it by your side," then either 8-4 or NoA deliberately changed it. Perhaps they wanted to better reinforce the idea that Morgan has recovered a few vague memories.

This is pure conjecture on my part, though. Maybe it is an honest (if odd) mistake.

Huh, I remembered wrong, I apologize. It's been a bit.
---
#29GalwenPosted 10/23/2013 5:26:35 PM
americancheeze posted...
2- The parent of Morgan is likely one of the people from the future, as he is theorized to come from an alternate timeline (the new future and not the original), and the amnesia being born from a time paradox and getting yanked back in time makes a lot of sense, And it keeps Morgan from having siblings, which is a smoother fit considering most of the future group acts like they just met Morgan.

Or the Morgan you recruit could be one of the Morgans from the Future Past.
#30renuacPosted 10/24/2013 4:15:20 AM
Strawberry_Eggs posted...

I'd guess it's a mistake: it looks like for that part at least, they just used the generic sibling support without checking for differences between possible siblings. As you mentioned, there seem to be a few slip ups here and there, such as the mix up about Lissa being alive or not in the future.