Binding Blade handled Base Archers/Snipers/Etc. better than various other FEs.

#1GalwenPosted 11/2/2013 11:53:04 PM
Klein and Igrene are among the better members of their class. Wolt and Dorothy really help out in a handful of earlygame maps. It's really one of the better FEs without reclassing when it comes to Archers/Snipers/Etc.

With reclassing counted, clearly New Mystery is the best.
#2MalcolmMasherPosted 11/3/2013 12:40:20 AM(edited)
I'm not seeing it. Among other things, FE6 features Nomads, and as I don't recall any noteworthy ballista moments and FE6 Longbows are universal, there's really no reason to use an Archer when you can substitute a Nomad. Since Sue joins all of two or three turns after Dorothy, but has comparable/better base stats and a clearly superior class, Dorothy hits obsolescence rather quickly, and Wolt's even worse. FE6 Archers manage to be useful early on while you have no real alternative, but that's true of Archers like Virion or Leonardo, too. On the other hand, things like the Renown Longbow or Leo's Lughsathingy mean that the other games' Archers might actually be useful after the early game, with a stiff tailwind. FE6 Archers? Not so much.

Klein is intolerable outside of HM. (Take FE6 Bartre; subtract 20 HP, 10 Strength, and axes. You now have a rough approximation of NM Klein.) HM Klein is useful at first, downgrading to viable filler as the game goes on, and Igrene more or less jumps straight to viable filler. But, frankly, a brief flirtation with competence (followed by a lengthy existence as a "bows could be useful here maybe" pinch hitter) is exactly what I expect to get out of a textbook Sniper. FE11 Jeorge does it, Innes does it, even Louise and FE9 Shinon kinda pull it off (although Louise is more for the +3 Def/Res to Pent than the bow rank, and Shinon's really hoping you weigh his early performance heavily.) I can't see why you're arguing FE6 handles the class well. FE12, now... I haven't played it, but certainly FE11 H5 made Sniper (if not Archer) an option worth considering. That's more plausible.
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#3Cheesepower5Posted 11/3/2013 1:07:31 AM
MalcolmMasher posted...
I'm not seeing it. Among other things, FE6 features Nomads, and as I don't recall any noteworthy ballista moments and FE6 Longbows are universal, there's really no reason to use an Archer when you can substitute a Nomad. Since Sue joins all of two or three turns after Dorothy, but has comparable/better base stats and a clearly superior class, Dorothy hits obsolescence rather quickly, and Wolt's even worse. FE6 Archers manage to be useful early on while you have no real alternative, but that's true of Archers like Virion or Leonardo, too. On the other hand, things like the Renown Longbow or Leo's Lughsathingy mean that the other games' Archers might actually be useful after the early game, with a stiff tailwind. FE6 Archers? Not so much.

Klein is intolerable outside of HM. (Take FE6 Bartre; subtract 20 HP, 10 Strength, and axes. You now have a rough approximation of NM Klein.) HM Klein is useful at first, downgrading to viable filler as the game goes on, and Igrene more or less jumps straight to viable filler. But, frankly, a brief flirtation with competence (followed by a lengthy existence as a "bows could be useful here maybe" pinch hitter) is exactly what I expect to get out of a textbook Sniper. FE11 Jeorge does it, Innes does it, even Louise and FE9 Shinon kinda pull it off (although Louise is more for the +3 Def/Res to Pent than the bow rank, and Shinon's really hoping you weigh his early performance heavily.) I can't see why you're arguing FE6 handles the class well. FE12, now... I haven't played it, but certainly FE11 H5 made Sniper (if not Archer) an option worth considering. That's more plausible.

Lughnasadh. It's an Irish holiday.

Also, mention Nomads but don't mention Sin. Fail.
---
Etrian Odyssey; The only series where hardened warriors have to graduate from killing squirrels, armadillos and grasshoppers to still get stomped by a baboon.