Another noob questions about the game

#1Tatsuya12Posted 12/20/2013 3:54:07 AM
so i got a few question about the game, i just got to chapter six

1.is number of marriage limited? because it seem quite a few of female character not included like Tiki/Anna-although i guess those char can only marry MU but i never seen any recommendation of marriage for them, are they just bad candidate or what? cause i want manaket but not nowi.

2. how do you earn gold? only through selling pickup weapon and items? i am at chapter six but i still haven't pick up a single gold

3. can you grind without DLC? cause a shop replace any place i fought before

4. should i pair up character? because i want to raise Donnell but when pair up he hardly ever attack so no exp, but is it alright to assume as support lvl increase he will attack a lot more frequently?

5. whats up with Frederick ? he is lvl one on chapter 5 but he still one hit most enemy but gain super low amount of experience.

6. does it matter what weapon a character use? i mean weapon proficiency is at zero for every weapon right?
#2Airship_CanonPosted 12/20/2013 5:04:34 AM
1. The unlisted can indeed only marry MU. People don't recommend marrying these characters because they're not good.

2. Selling Bullions. Gold as a drop only exists in the DLC map "golden gaffe".

3. Reeking Boxes/Bonus Teams. Beware though that Reeking Boxes are very expensive on Hard. Risen encounters on Lunatic(+) are extremely hard in game-- and Bonus Teams don't yield EXP on those modes.

4. If you're trying to raise Donnel, pair him up, and have him lead. Once supports are made they do get more common, but if you're going for EXP, Leading is the way to go.

5. Frederick is what's known as a Jeigan. They're high power units that you start with. He's actually promoted, and isn't level 1, he's level 21.

6. Beyond Weapon Ranks/WEXP, there's no much reason to not be adaptable. Just use the right tool [weapon] for the job.
---
Do you Remember these Mechanized Memories? For the Spirit of the Mother Will Comes Again.
#3I_eat_tablesPosted 12/20/2013 9:22:33 AM
I feel like I'm going to parrot Airship a lot here, but that's because his answers are good. Oh well, there's some detail I'd like to add.

1) I wouldn't recommend looking at guides before playing the game. You spoil a lot of the fun and surprise about characters and what's going to happen. But it's your game, so whatever. No, those characters can only marry Avatar. There's nothing really wrong with marrying them, although they tend to be somewhat less practical choices than others due to joining late, having mediocre stats or other issues.

2) Mostly selling stuff you get. I think you get given money every now and again but really from about where you are (maybe chapter 7 or 8) you'll start getting regular Bullion drops in chapters, which sell for 1-10K gold each.
Some DLC also gives huge wads of money. But using DLC isn't recommended on your first playthrough.

3) Risen spawn periodically, you can fight them. You can also use Spotpass to summon bonus teams (these give minimal EXP on Lunatic - although I doubt you're crazy enough to play Lunatic on your first playthrough :P). You can make Risen spawn by buying and using a Reeking Box. IIRC Reeking Boxes are sold at the Longfort (chapter 3).

4) Absolutely. Pair up increases stats considerably, helps build supports, gives permanent access to Dual Strike and Dual Guard and gives a way to 'rescue' damage units by having them switch with their partner.
Donnel is a pain to train. Pair him up - ideally with someone like Frederick - and have him attack weakened enemies. He'll get a lot of EXP that way. While he can gain EXP being the back unit, it's really limited (you gain half the EXP of hitting an enemy, IF you manage to trigger a dual strike in the first place). Once his stats get... not terrible, pair him with someone else, such as one of his listed support partners. Once he reaches either level 10 or level 15, use a Second Seal so that he can become another class and start training properly (I recommend Mercenary)

5) Partway through the game you'll learn about promotion. Effectively promoted units are 20 levels higher than unpromoted ones, and so at similar levels have much stronger stats, higher movement - but gain far less EXP because, well, they're higher levels. Jeigan in particular has pretty terrible stats for his level, but his main purpose is to help you through the earlygame (especially on Lunatic). He's best used either sparingly, or as a support partner for someone who wants STR+DEF (like Donnel, or Sumia)

6) I'm... not entirely sure what your asking here. If you mean weapon TYPE: There's something called the weapon triangle, which Fred told you about in chapter 2 (you can check the tutorials for a reminder). Swords have bonuses against Axes. Axes have bonuses against Lances. Lances have bonuses against Swords. Early on those bonuses are really small (like 5% hit) but as your weapon rank increases, they become much bigger. Therefore maintaining weapon triangle control is valuable. On top of that different weapons have different focuses. Swords are accurate but weak, Axes are powerful but inaccurate, Lances are balanced, Bows have 2 range, Tomes are magic and Staves heal.
If you mean actual weapons, then yes: Each weapon - except Falchion and perhaps others later - has durability. If a weapons durability runs out, it breaks. Since weapons cost different amounts, and some are rarer than others, using cheaper weapons is desirable - as it's more efficient, but more expensive weapons naturally are more powerful.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#4OrihimePosted 12/20/2013 10:23:37 PM(edited)
Tatsuya12 posted...
so i got a few question about the game, i just got to chapter six

1.is number of marriage limited? because it seem quite a few of female character not included like Tiki/Anna-although i guess those char can only marry MU but i never seen any recommendation of marriage for them, are they just bad candidate or what? cause i want manaket but not nowi.

You can only get 1 S-level marriage per character. MU does have the most choices, since they can marry anyone of the opposite sex. I assume you picked a male MU, based on how you phrased the question. I have heard Anna is crappy and obviously she doesn't have the Manakete class. The only ones that have Manakete access are Nowi, Tiki (the regular, not Spotpass Tiki) and
another one I won't reveal for story reasons. But since this is your 1st playthrough, marry who you want. Worry about optimization on a 2nd playthrough.

2. how do you earn gold? only through selling pickup weapon and items? i am at chapter six but i still haven't pick up a single gold

The best way to earn some gold is to sell off Bullions, especially when you get the Medium and Large size ones. Airship Canon was not right where he said gold was a drop only in the Golden Gaffe DLC. I don't know about drops in Lunatic difficulty, but on Normal or Hard, you should've gotten a Medium Bullion drop when you defeated Ch 5's boss. Another Medium drop to watch for is in Ch 7, one of the thieves should drop one. A skill called Despoil, learned by lvl 1 Barbarians or killing someone with a Leif's Blade (a Renown reward item) is possible. However, that is too tedious, because you only get a small Bullion drop IF you are successful (drop rate is determined by your Luck stat).

3. can you grind without DLC? cause a shop replace any place i fought before

You'll have to get more Reeking Boxes and use them on the chapters or nodes where you cleared them. Also, I doubt you are on Lunatic difficulty, so fighting a weak Bonus Box team, such as Wolt or Mist also helps. Otherwise, you'll have to hope that a random skirmish comes up and kill enemies that way.

4. should i pair up character? because i want to raise Donnell but when pair up he hardly ever attack so no exp, but is it alright to assume as support lvl increase he will attack a lot more frequently?

As previous posters have said, it's very beneficial to pair up for the stat and support bonuses.
I find for Donnel, he should pair up with somebody who is slow. That way, the slow unit does chip damage to where they weaken, but not kill off the enemy (ideally one who can attack from 2 range). Let the slow unit attack first with a 1 range weapon. Then on the next turn, switch to Donnel to finish off the weakened enemy. Good units would be Stahl and Kellam, they're usually slow enough to not attack twice. Nowi is another good one, as Manakete's tend to be slow. Once Donnel gets his 2 Villager skills, he should reclass to a different class (most seem to like reclassing him to Mercenary, since he can really abuse Armsthrift). And yeah, he can increase support levels with all 3 recommendations.
(con't on next post)
#5OrihimePosted 12/20/2013 10:17:27 PM
5. whats up with Frederick ? he is lvl one on chapter 5 but he still one hit most enemy but gain super low amount of experience.

Fred is a pre-promoted Great Knight, which is one of the 2 high tier Cavalier classes. As Airship Canon mentioned, he is not really lvl 1, more like a lvl 21 character. As your levels go up, the game keeps a hidden tally of internal levels for each unit. Internal levels are too complicated to explain here, but generally the higher the internal level, the slower the EXP gain will be. A common newbie mistake is to overuse Fred to where he hogs the EXP that needs to go to weaker units. When you try to deploy weaker units, they get OHKO'd because they are severely underdeveloped. Fortunately, you seemed to have avoided this mistake.

6. does it matter what weapon a character use? i mean weapon proficiency is at zero for every weapon right?

Each class can only use certain weapon types. MU starts off as a Tactician, he can only equip tomes (except Dark-type tomes like Flux) and swords. If you want your MU to equip lances, he will have to switch over to a class that allows him to use lances. Not every unit starts off at E rank (the lowest possible proficiency) for their respective weapons. Manaketes and Taguels lack a weapon rank. Units that have a later join time tend to start off at C or D rank for the weapons they can equip. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to add something to the topic.
#6President_MarthPosted 12/20/2013 10:47:18 PM
Marry Nah then
---
Marth kicks arse! Marth kicks arse! Marth kicks arse! ~AngryPidgeon
Official President Marth of Gamefaqs
#7Tatsuya12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/22/2013 3:47:57 PM
thanks for the answer everyone

" I'm... not entirely sure what your asking here. If you mean weapon TYPE" by that i mean for example Donnel use a lance but does it matter if i gave him a axe/sword to use from the start or he is the best with a lance

but yeah i am playing normal and no DLC i guess at this difficulty it doesnt matter what i do and i can still breeze through the game.
#8Airship_CanonPosted 12/22/2013 5:43:56 PM
Tatsuya12 posted...
thanks for the answer everyone

" I'm... not entirely sure what your asking here. If you mean weapon TYPE" by that i mean for example Donnel use a lance but does it matter if i gave him a axe/sword to use from the start or he is the best with a lance

but yeah i am playing normal and no DLC i guess at this difficulty it doesnt matter what i do and i can still breeze through the game.

A Character can only use certain weapons based on their class.
Donnel can only wield a lance as a Villager. He can't equip an Axe or a Sword until he changes classes.
The strength of the weapon they can use is based on their weapon rank, which ranges from E [Bronze weapons] to A [Braves and Legendaries] and that rises as you use various weapons.
---
Do you Remember these Mechanized Memories? For the Spirit of the Mother Will Comes Again.
#9LordKaizerPosted 12/22/2013 7:34:12 PM
i recommend once you make donnel reach level 10, change his class to mercenary class (through second seal item). he'll begin to use a sword but his defense and attack rise so high practically he's the strongest fighter you'll have.
---
PSN: Sckarton ; Wii U: Sckarton ; Steam: psn_sckarton ; Xbox Live : Raze o Skarreor (boy, that escalated quickly)
#10Tatsuya12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/23/2013 4:01:11 AM
i though you are suppose to change class at lvl 20? it is different for Donnel?