People keep claiming normal is too easy but I don't believe them.

#11Takuru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 5:39:02 PM
3rd mission in and I lost over half of my units completing it. If I was playing on classic, I'd be screwed already. I'm already starting to get scared. One simple grunt with a hammer one-shotted my two most powerful units (including Fredrick) in one hit.

I don't understand the purpose of pairing up (hard mode apparently skips the tutorial)? Why would you sacrifice an entire unit just to give a small stat boost to another? I notice that when I'm paired up, my second unit doesn't even attack half the time. So it's like that unit is dead.
---
http://i.imgur.com/lgjSR6l.jpg http://i.imgur.com/lmL5UlU.jpg
#12Count_SylverionPosted 12/27/2013 5:45:10 PM
normal is easy mode. hard is normal mode.
#13TaiphlosionPosted 12/27/2013 6:02:43 PM
my god, you are REALLY bad at this game >.>

Go with normal, then
---
I'm tired of everyone I know, of everyone I see, on the streets and on TV.
#14VascelaPosted 12/27/2013 6:05:59 PM
Takuru posted...
3rd mission in and I lost over half of my units completing it. If I was playing on classic, I'd be screwed already. I'm already starting to get scared. One simple grunt with a hammer one-shotted my two most powerful units (including Fredrick) in one hit.

I don't understand the purpose of pairing up (hard mode apparently skips the tutorial)? Why would you sacrifice an entire unit just to give a small stat boost to another? I notice that when I'm paired up, my second unit doesn't even attack half the time. So it's like that unit is dead.

Sometimes it's better to pair up because you need to have X strength or Y defense or Z speed. Sometimes you need to attack with 2 units. Your the tactician, so it's your call!
#15Lao-ShanTuxPosted 12/27/2013 6:47:27 PM
Pairing up can be the difference between Get hit/Don't get hit or Take damage/Don't take damage.

0 x 2 = 0 (Two without pair)

1 x 1 = 1 (One with pair)

Improve pair-up bonuses with Supports. You can start to see pluses of 5 or more later in supports.
---
I'll parry everything.
Member of Kalos's Team Croissant.
#16Takuru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/27/2013 7:06:30 PM(edited)
Vascela posted...
Takuru posted...

Sometimes it's better to pair up because you need to have X strength or Y defense or Z speed. Sometimes you need to attack with 2 units. Your the tactician, so it's your call!

What determines when both will attack when paired up? Is it random or is there something specific you do to get both to attack (both while attacking an enemy or defending against an enemy)?
---
http://i.imgur.com/lgjSR6l.jpg http://i.imgur.com/lmL5UlU.jpg
#17I_eat_tablesPosted 12/27/2013 7:29:51 PM
It's random, but supports raise the chances (as does the skill stat, very slightly - but mostly supports).

Anyway Normal mode seems designed for those new to the genre, or otherwise who struggle with turn based games. Hard is designed for those familiar with the series/genre, or who have some experience in the game itself. Lunatic is designed for those who have mastered the older FE games, or who have played through Awakening on Hard. Lunatic+ is the game's shoutout to those who hate themselves.

Don't feel forced to play on a higher difficulty if it isn't comfortable. Hard mode is only easy for a lot of people here because we know how to break it and do things both safely and quickly. A beginner can't be expected to know them.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#18VascelaPosted 12/27/2013 7:34:00 PM
I_eat_tables posted...
It's random, but supports raise the chances (as does the skill stat, very slightly - but mostly supports).

Anyway Normal mode seems designed for those new to the genre, or otherwise who struggle with turn based games. Hard is designed for those familiar with the series/genre, or who have some experience in the game itself. Lunatic is designed for those who have mastered the older FE games, or who have played through Awakening on Hard. Lunatic+ is the game's shoutout to those who hate themselves.

Don't feel forced to play on a higher difficulty if it isn't comfortable. Hard mode is only easy for a lot of people here because we know how to break it and do things both safely and quickly. A beginner can't be expected to know them.

This this this x10
#19kiwicthulhuPosted 12/28/2013 12:12:04 AM
Yeah, I just want to reiterate that a lot of people playing this game (particularly the people saying that normal is too easy) have played a lot of the other FE games and are very familiar with the mechanics, strategy, grinding, etc., but even though they represent a significant voice in discussions, they don't represent a majority of the players of this game. So don't feel bad to play on normal-it's not a bad thing to play casually, and if you're not willing to look into the intricacies of strategy, grinding, pair-ups, etc, then normal is what you should play.

Personally, I've played every FE game since 7 except for Shadow Dragon multiple times, and I grind pretty obsessively whenever possible. I still think that Awakening's hard/classic mode is difficult. I started off with that because I'm an experienced player, I like a challenge, and I like the permadeath, but I think it's totally legitimate to play normal and/or casual. Objectively speaking, for someone like me, normal is too easy. But FE's my favorite game series and I'd say I'm better at it than a fair number of people, not necessarily because of skill, but because of experience and time invested. I started off playing on normal and easy and then worked up to here.

Bottom line, don't let people make you feel bad for playing normal. Even if it's easy for them and not for you, if you're enjoying the game, that's what matters! And based on what you've said, it sounds like normal is more your speed, if you don't want the frustration of characters dying all the time and the confusion of the pair-up system (I'm still getting used to that myself, but it's something you have to consider if you're playing on hard). Good luck!
#20TeXaS_PiEPosted 12/28/2013 12:23:06 AM
Takuru posted...
Ugh.... I'm going to go with Hard (Casual).

If I get destroyed, I'll haunt you guys for the rest of your lives.

I'm playing on Normal Classic and am having a blast while still being challenged on some maps. I was in the same boat with experience with these games.
---
For every to there is a fro, and that's what makes the world go round. :3
GT-- JoEMaN604