I think hard or lunatic casual is better than classic. Just my opinion...

#1SPON000Posted 1/3/2014 6:58:19 AM
When a character I have dies in casual I don't reset the whole encounter. I have to reevaluate my strategy and go on from there. It makes the game more spontaneous and challenging if one of your higher ups die.

How many people actually do not reset the game when a good character dies? It really is the same thing as casual except you have to restart the entire encounter.

I give kudos to all those that do not reset whenever a character dies. That's the true challenge of the game and I could never do it. Especially in hard or lunatic.
---
I had a backup but she refused to play the game again!
#2I_eat_tablesPosted 1/3/2014 7:00:29 AM
Getting through a chapter without letting anyone die is the challenge of Classic mode. Lots of people miss this, but getting through with zero deaths is often MUCH harder than getting through with one or two.

Also losing out on Battle Saves makes a difference, especially with the RNG skills of Lunatic+.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#3SPON000(Topic Creator)Posted 1/3/2014 7:21:27 AM
I never thought of using battle saves to boost RNG. I didn't know you could do that on casual. I wouldn't do that because that seems wrong. Not cheating, but not truly playing the game as it was meant to be played.

I'll give an example of when I was hard pressed in casual mode. I was playing a map and I did a bone head move that allowed three of my characters to die including two healers. I didn't reset because I wanted to see if I could still win without substantial losses. I did pull out the win and it felt better than whenever I manage to keep all my people from dying in classic mode after numerous resets.

I do wish they would penalize a little more for death in casual like the character sits out 1 chapter or paralogue . I guess i could manually put that stipulation in. I might try that.
---
I had a backup but she refused to play the game again!
#4Cornett15Posted 1/3/2014 7:41:58 AM
The challenge in classic comes from going through the chapter without losing any characters (or the entire game no-reset run), with casual if your careless you can lose a unit and just move on but with classic you either have to rethink what your doing wrong or stop being careless (or prey you don't get screwed by crits) but casual exists for people who don't see classic as fun so play however you like
#5IlluminaZer0Posted 1/3/2014 7:48:30 AM(edited)
I have speculated for a while that Lunatic may play much better on casual due to inflated enemy stats, especially if you intend to not grind and not funnel all experience to the MU. I dunno though as I haven't ever played casual. You have to metagame a little too much to succeed in Classic Lunatic to my liking.

However, Classic Hard has a good level of difficulty. Casual Hard is too trivial for anyone with SRPG experience.
#6pillsburyboy22Posted 1/3/2014 7:53:22 AM
If they made the enemies more powerful I would be fine with playing on casual, but I felt it made the game too easy. I started playing lunatic on casual and I found myself taking ridiculous chances that I would never have taken on classic, because even if the person got killed it didn't really make that much of a difference. I ended up restarting and playing on classic. It certainly does add a different dynamic to the game however, and allows you to be a little more aggressive.

I'm usually one of the people who doesn't reset when a character dies, but the move on spawn reinforcements in this game p***** me off to the point where I started restarting if one of my characters got killed because of it. Olivia got killed on 5 or 6 different chapters when random pegasus knights appeared off the side of the map and flew over a wall straight to her. I don't remember it ever being as annoying as in this game, and I'm sure move on spawn has been in at least one or two previous games.
#7bud49Posted 1/3/2014 1:24:28 PM
I think I must suck at this game because I play on casual on the easiest difficulty and at least two people die in every mission. I could never do classic lol.