The Internet has ruined the game for me

#1PangLaPosted 2/1/2014 9:10:09 PM
I keep looking online to see what's the best class, best skills, best pair ups for my characters. I remember playing the series back when I was kid on the GBA and just play it to enjoy it, but now it seems like all I want is the best stats.
#2DlordflashPosted 2/1/2014 9:13:52 PM
this board does make it a point to tell people to avoid this board like the plague when they attempt their first playthrough
---
3DS FC: 4897-6258-8667
#3Strawberry_EggsPosted 2/1/2014 9:16:50 PM
I make it a habit to avoid all information about a game I am looking forward to. I especially avoid sites/forums specific to that game/series. It's a lot more fun to go in blind. Once I'm done, I'll go and look up what I missed. I don't always go back and replay it with that knowledge, and I'm fine with that.
---
Why you are here is a profound mystery indeed.
#4ENTER_THE_VAIKEPosted 2/1/2014 9:23:59 PM
going in blind isn't all good... I remember missing out on light arrows in zelda and breaking out a braille dictionary for pokemon among other things. at least now I know I'm never making a bad decision.
#5Huff n puff 20Posted 2/1/2014 10:16:16 PM
ENTER_THE_VAIKE posted...
going in blind isn't all good... I remember missing out on light arrows in zelda and breaking out a braille dictionary for pokemon among other things. at least now I know I'm never making a bad decision.

First runs are always semi-blind for me for reasons like that.
Well, that and Thracia 776. [Yeah, go in full blind into that game, I dare you]
---
http://i.imgur.com/vSQXpF4.jpg (Cutest Giant Robot ever)
http://i.imgur.com/rc9CO0c.jpg
#6VascelaPosted 2/1/2014 10:19:56 PM
PangLa posted...
I keep looking online to see what's the best class, best skills, best pair ups for my characters. I remember playing the series back when I was kid on the GBA and just play it to enjoy it, but now it seems like all I want is the best stats.

Quick google search reminded me of your post. Albeit it's pokemon, I feel the general message is the same about how serious some people take playing games.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409732_356388647769179_1854826838_n.jpg

I highly recommend not falling into the illusion of "best" or even "betters" (especially children). I do recommend blind runs for the first time around because you only get one blind run.

And it's gone.
#7LunaEmblemPosted 2/2/2014 12:33:47 PM
I'd have to agree. Even when I try to stop myself, all I can ever think of now is how to optimize my team, even though it reduces my enjoyment of the game. Best of all is that I'm perfectly aware how little optimization actually matters (except maybe Apotheosis), but I just can't help myself. It's like a disease.
---
Why can't life give me strawberries or something instead? I don't even like lemons.
#8NewbieN00bPosted 2/2/2014 12:37:44 PM
The op sounds like it could be put in the pokemon section, just change classes and stuff to EVs/IVs, unlike pokemon, this game doesn't have multiplayer competition and the game can, for the most part, be beaten with whatever units you want, so I really don't understand the complaint.

Just because someone else figured out the best thing to do ever in a game where it is nowhere near required, doesn't mean you have to do anything related to it.
---
3DS FC: 4596-9460-1427
#9PangLa(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 1:08:19 PM
The thing about Pokemon is that the game never ends. If you mess something up you can always catch another Pokemon and you'll be fine. With Fire Emblem, for example, when I got my first seal I sat there looking up on GameFaqs looking on who I should first use the seal on and which class should I change into. I did that for every seals I got since it seems like there was a limited amount of them and I wanted to have the most out of it.
#10DlordflashPosted 2/2/2014 1:14:22 PM
PangLa posted...
The thing about Pokemon is that the game never ends. If you mess something up you can always catch another Pokemon and you'll be fine. With Fire Emblem, for example, when I got my first seal I sat there looking up on GameFaqs looking on who I should first use the seal on and which class should I change into. I did that for every seals I got since it seems like there was a limited amount of them and I wanted to have the most out of it.

if you screw up so bad that you can no longer continue in fire emblem it just means you were being reckless and had poor management skills, in no way would you ever have to look up all of this stuff online in order to beat the game, the game isn't that complicated that you need to look up any of that stuff because in a normal playthrough you just need common sense, they give you plenty of master seals and second seals plus you could eventually buy it from stores. you can use the seals on anyone you wanted and still come out on top.
---
3DS FC: 4897-6258-8667