this was the weakest entry in the fe series.

#1VeroxionPosted 3/1/2014 4:02:17 PM
so i was reading some reviews and comments that i have been searching up (cuz i like to see peoples opinions) this game was a major disappointment.

so my question for the people who think this game is weaksauce, what is awakening missing in terms of the other fe games?
#2kingdddPosted 3/1/2014 4:07:54 PM
Only 2 different mission objectives. Kill all or kill the commander. Previous entries had defend the for number of turns, secure an object etc.

Many opened and outside maps. Very few indoor castle combats.

Some missing gameplay features I won't list them all because there is a lot. But this is more of a subjective thing.
---
"Seeing is only just an impression, playing is believing." -Nintendo
#3the_rowanPosted 3/1/2014 4:09:56 PM
Good map design and balanced gameplay mechanics, pretty much. It's like they worked really hard on everything but the actual strategy RPG part of the game. There's a ton of systems they added for fanservice or endgame min/maxing, but almost every new feature seems designed to sell the DLC so you have faster grinding and more endgame, rather than make for a strategically and tactically challenging main game.
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#4NEW-WAYS-2-DIEPosted 3/1/2014 4:16:30 PM
kingddd posted...
Only 2 different mission objectives. Kill all or kill the commander. Previous entries had defend the for number of turns, secure an object etc.

Many opened and outside maps. Very few indoor castle combats.

Some missing gameplay features I won't list them all because there is a lot. But this is more of a subjective thing.

I'm sorry but the objective part really isn't true.

There are plenty of missions where you have to protect characters. Some where you have to go talk to specific people before the enemies sack them. And even stuff like where you had to pick a team to defend or level up a character before the chapter was over.

There were plenty of cool objectives.

As far as maps go, yeah, there are "open" maps, but there are obstructed ones too, like Inigo's paralogue, Nah's paralogue, Morgan's paralogue, Midmire, deserts, etc. There are at least 4 castle maps too, so IDK what the big deal is.

I can't comment on the missing gameplay features though, since this is my only Fire Emblem so far.
---
S8n is gr8n.
#5HayashiTakaraPosted 3/1/2014 4:21:19 PM
Veroxion posted...
so i was reading some reviews and comments that i have been searching up (cuz i like to see peoples opinions) this game was a major disappointment.

so my question for the people who think this game is weaksauce, what is awakening missing in terms of the other fe games?

Wait... all those 8's 9's and 10's are disappointing?

Awakening isn't missing anything, it combines all the good stuff from past FE games in jumbled it into one.

Purist will complain about being able to grind to make your characters OP, but that's player's choice to do. Tons of options and customization of units, purists will b**** about this too.

Some will complain about lack of mission objectives, even with the different objectives in older FE games, you still route the enemy anyway, it's completely pointless.
#6Veroxion(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2014 4:29:55 PM(edited)
i wasn't "just" referring to reviews on gamefaqs.

i haven't played the older fe games other then the gba series and i don't plan to finish all of them in one day/week/month so i just posted this. while i look for positive reviews i also check for negative just because of my brain is full of curiosity.....

whether its complaining or not i am the one reading since i made the thread and i won't question it, in the end it just opinions.
#7HayashiTakaraPosted 3/1/2014 4:31:30 PM
Veroxion posted...
i wasn't "just" referring to reviews on gamefaqs.

i haven't played the older fe games other then the gba series and i don't plan to finish all of them in one day/week/month so i just posted this. while i look for positive reviews i also check for negative just because of my brain is full of curiosity.....

whether its complaining or not i am the one reading since i made the thread and i won't question it, in the end it just opinions.

Instead of being vague, how about listing what you feel is disheartening? considering you haven't played it yet, what is it about the negative reviews that strikes home for you? did you bother reading the positive reviews too? of course everyone have different preferences it's what it means to be human.
#8judge-salPosted 3/1/2014 4:42:25 PM
he's saying he's read negative reviews, and now he's posting here to see if anyone else can confirm what those reviews said….
---
oh
#9Misha-HeartPosted 3/1/2014 4:44:00 PM
How pandering the game is: bishies, dating-sim for Avatar, anime-type personalities.
Null character development: food conversations, unrealistic love tales, barely any supports for the actually interesting characters
Disappointing plot: Valm is a major detour from the plot, time-travel is shoe-horned in, Validar's reveal was done too early and was wasted.
Bad game design: Nosferatu the game, children are unusable without massive grinding, using more units is actually bad.

Just because it sold more doesn't mean its better than the previous games. This one was on a recent console, was heavily marketed compared to the other games and had elements that attracted more than just people looking to play a strategy game.

I liked Awakening, but it is definitely not the high point of the series.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Sakura Trick has brought forth hope and will revolutionize the world.
#10DarkFlip22Posted 3/1/2014 4:58:31 PM
judge-sal posted...
he's saying he's read negative reviews, and now he's posting here to see if anyone else can confirm what those reviews said….

he also said he read the positive reviews, maybe he's just bored as hell like the rest of us just wants to re-read the same **** that every other review pointed out.

I had no issues with the game, i just had knitpicks with the blandness of the DLC and Spotpass character mechanic.
---
Down+Down-Forward+Forward+Punch = "The Hadouken"