Anyone else find it sad that NSMB2 more than doubled sales than this game?

#1SkyminxyzPosted 3/16/2014 7:59:41 PM
<.< It just goes to show, that name brands mean more than anything else this past gen. Copy/paste a large chunk form the previous games, same enemies (and re-skins of "new ones"), make a gimmicky beyond hope item and one returning item (that's hype already died down since 3DL) and finally slap on Mario in the title and suddenly critics make give the game from what would have been a 5-6 into a 8-9.

Sum up: I know people will say "well of course Emblem would sell worse than the icon "Mario"! But that's why just gets me, once you become a gaming icon you can literally make anything and still sell millions, while games like Emblem or even the DQ remakes in japan struggle to get half of Mario 2's sales. I'm a fan of Mario but that was one example of a game I'l ljust avoid along with the M&S games.

Random note: "Following the release of Super Mario 3D Land, the (untitled) 2D Super Mario game was announced during a meeting of investors by the president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, in late January 2012.[12] He described it as a "totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS".
---
"Stating your opinion on GameFaqs is a declaration of war" - anonymous.
#2judge-salPosted 3/16/2014 8:02:51 PM
sad, because this series deserves more attention.

the plus side is that Awakening has become very popular, putting FE on the map and leading the way for the series to become even more popular.
---
oh
#3peoplelikeusPosted 3/16/2014 8:02:54 PM
And Mario Kart Wii sold 35 times the amount as this game. Whatever the term for that is.

I do agree that NSMB2 was horrible though.
#4Lylat_CruiserPosted 3/16/2014 8:05:30 PM
They made a NSMB2? When did this happen? I've had a 3DS since the beginning of last year (2013).
---
"I'm respecting your privacy by knocking but asserting my authority by coming in anyway!"
"Now that's strategy!" ;D
#5Cheesepower5Posted 3/16/2014 8:16:54 PM
I honestly haven't touched Mario since Galaxy. Not out of any aversion, I just spend too much time on meaty , content heavy RPGs and wasting hours in places like this. So setting aside that I can't make any judgments about NSMB2, I feel I should remind you that big icons can be broken by a slew of genuinely bad (or at least greatly deteriorated) games, just like Tomb Raider and Lara Croft were dragged through the mud before the recent reboot. So I am sceptical about your claim that NSMB2 is a cheap cash-in. Are there any seriously huge flaws, like unresponsive controls, lack of hazards in stages, glitches, etc.? Or is your main basis for complaint rehashed enemies and mechanics? Because I won't criticize you for not enjoying the game due to those reasons, that's perfectly fair, but saying others shouldn't have bought it for those reasons just comes across as petty.

I don't know how I feel about a new 2D Mario game. I can't really play any 2D Mario that isn't Super Mario World on a SNES controller, since one summer that was all I played.
---
And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it you've got to go sometime.
#6Skyminxyz(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 8:20:54 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
They made a NSMB2? When did this happen? I've had a 3DS since the beginning of last year (2013).

Wait are you being sarcastic by implying that I mistakenly claimed that Intelligent Systems made NSMB2?
...Or are you actually saying you didn't even know that Nintendo made a NSMB2?

@Other guy, yeah MKW sold like a monster, but that's because not only did it pack loads of content along with a already high install base; but it also didn't try to hard at becoming the "savior" of the Wii either. Which worries me about MK8, I fear for once Nin will focus too much on graphic horsepower, and remove many other features which made older games of its series great. The 7 kooplings in particular was rather an arrow to the knee of M-Kart's fans.
---
"Stating your opinion on GameFaqs is a declaration of war" - anonymous.
#7DarkStorm20191Posted 3/16/2014 8:28:57 PM
Cheesepower5 posted...
I honestly haven't touched Mario since Galaxy. Not out of any aversion, I just spend too much time on meaty , content heavy RPGs and wasting hours in places like this. So setting aside that I can't make any judgments about NSMB2, I feel I should remind you that big icons can be broken by a slew of genuinely bad (or at least greatly deteriorated) games, just like Tomb Raider and Lara Croft were dragged through the mud before the recent reboot. So I am sceptical about your claim that NSMB2 is a cheap cash-in. Are there any seriously huge flaws, like unresponsive controls, lack of hazards in stages, glitches, etc.? Or is your main basis for complaint rehashed enemies and mechanics? Because I won't criticize you for not enjoying the game due to those reasons, that's perfectly fair, but saying others shouldn't have bought it for those reasons just comes across as petty.

I don't know how I feel about a new 2D Mario game. I can't really play any 2D Mario that isn't Super Mario World on a SNES controller, since one summer that was all I played.

Yeah it's pretty much universally agreed on here (or anywhere really online) that NSMB2 sucked. Rehashed music and enemies, and even copied and pasted backgrounds for 5 out 8 worlds within the game... I suppose the controls were alright, but the game for some reason felt a lot easier than the original, in fact World 8 in the DS was shockingly brutal for a Mario game. The last world in NSMBDS was tougher than any non-post levels/worlds in pretty much any Mario game after 2006...

Also hopefully you only stopped playing the platformer games of Mario since Galaxy 1, otherwise you missed out big time on Kart Wii. I heard 3D world was okay, but no console seller, it did its job of stalling until Kart 8/ Smash so eh it got that.
---
NameNotKnown posted...
"There is a 0% chance of this happening."
#8peoplelikeusPosted 3/16/2014 8:32:45 PM
Yeah Mario Kart Wii was pretty amazing and it earned its title of top selling non bundled game of all time.

3D World was a step in the right direction albeit a bit too late. It was great that they got rid of the damsel plot and included a mega popular fan favorite as a playable character (Rosalina)
#9Cheesepower5Posted 3/16/2014 9:03:27 PM
DarkStorm20191 posted...
Cheesepower5 posted...

Yeah it's pretty much universally agreed on here (or anywhere really online) that NSMB2 sucked. Rehashed music and enemies, and even copied and pasted backgrounds for 5 out 8 worlds within the game... I suppose the controls were alright, but the game for some reason felt a lot easier than the original, in fact World 8 in the DS was shockingly brutal for a Mario game. The last world in NSMBDS was tougher than any non-post levels/worlds in pretty much any Mario game after 2006...

Also hopefully you only stopped playing the platformer games of Mario since Galaxy 1, otherwise you missed out big time on Kart Wii. I heard 3D world was okay, but no console seller, it did its job of stalling until Kart 8/ Smash so eh it got that.

Unfortunately, I never got the money for MKW until my Wii began making a god awful clicking noise whenever a disk was put in. It works, but I don't trust it and it's annoying and I really can't justify buying a new one, not least of all because I'm broke.

I did play it with my friend a few times. It's really fun, but I'm terrible with the wheel.
---
And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it you've got to go sometime.
#10Lylat_CruiserPosted 3/16/2014 9:13:58 PM
Skyminxyz posted...
Lylat_Cruiser posted...

Wait are you being sarcastic by implying that I mistakenly claimed that Intelligent Systems made NSMB2?
...Or are you actually saying you didn't even know that Nintendo made a NSMB2?

Your second assumption. I don't think I even see the game on display at my store...
---
"I'm respecting your privacy by knocking but asserting my authority by coming in anyway!"
"Now that's strategy!" ;D