Doesn't it kinda suck...(FE8 Spoilers)

#1Greener223224Posted 4/23/2014 11:54:27 PM
...that Eirika's story gets all the character development and motive explanations while all Ephraim's route has is a whole lot of difficulty? Hell, Valter and Caellach barely appear in Ephraim's route, while Eirika's route gives all the justification you need to kill them. And of course, the different methods of recruitment cause plenty of plot holes, like why Amelia would be part of a 4-man scouting party on the border of Carcino and Frelia, or why she'd be part of a major offensive on the Carcino-Jehanna border 4 chapters later.
---
Logic; it is not an exact science.
#2RDS1Posted 4/24/2014 12:03:29 AM
I think some characters (like Amelia and L'Arachel) just make more sense to be recruited on Ephraim's route, and others (like Ewan, everyone related to Gerik, and Cormag) make more sense on Eirika's route.

And to be fair, Eirika's route doesn't really get into Duessel's or Selena's motivations, and offers barely any explanation for what Knoll is doing there when he joins you.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#3Greener223224(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 12:05:38 AM
RDS1 posted...
I think some characters (like Amelia and L'Arachel) just make more sense to be recruited on Ephraim's route, and others (like Ewan, everyone related to Gerik, and Cormag) make more sense on Eirika's route.

And to be fair, Eirika's route doesn't really get into Duessel's or Selena's motivations, and offers barely any explanation for what Knoll is doing there when he joins you.

Fair, but Duessel could be reaffirmed in supports, while Knoll was mentioned in the post-Chapter 15 cutscene. You got me on Selena, though.
---
#4MetaFalconPunchPosted 4/24/2014 3:06:44 AM
Greener223224 posted...
...that Eirika's story gets all the character development and motive explanations while all Ephraim's route has is a whole lot of difficulty?

Actually I like this. Gives each route a distinct feel, and the incentive to try both.

Besides, Chapter 14 is a bit story-heavy on Eph's route, no?
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#5NewbieN00bPosted 4/24/2014 7:08:42 AM(edited)
It really feels like Eirikas route was written first, as the story events are a bit more intertwined. Ewan is Salehs student, and it makes very little sense for Saleh so somehow hang out in Grado then meet up with Eirika. (Unless the time-scale in FE8 is much longer than I think it is, this works, but only to an extent, TBH)

FE8 should have done like FE2, the route splits happen simultaneously, with both lords in different places at the same time(controlled by the player, I mean). This probably would have needed a few more characters recruited on one route or another, but more characters wouldn't hurt FE8 TBH.

Oh, I just noticed an error in Innes/Geriks supports (I was checking to see if it mentioned Gerik saving Innes until Eirika came) and Innies mentions being saved by Gerik at Renvall which can't happen.
---
3DS FC: 4596-9460-1427
#6Greener223224(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2014 9:19:26 AM
NewbieN00b posted...
FE8 should have done like FE2, the route splits happen simultaneously, with both lords in different places at the same time(controlled by the player, I mean). This probably would have needed a few more characters recruited on one route or another, but more characters wouldn't hurt FE8 TBH.

I agree with this idea 100%. Why didn't I think of it?

I mean, if they did it like that, the game would be able to be closer to a real FE with 25-28 chapters instead of the 21 we got.
---
#7RDS1Posted 4/24/2014 12:03:37 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
Ewan is Salehs student, and it makes very little sense for Saleh so somehow hang out in Grado then meet up with Eirika. (Unless the time-scale in FE8 is much longer than I think it is, this works, but only to an extent, TBH)

Okay, I wasn't entirely sure what you were talking about at first, but I take it you mean it doesn't make sense that Saleh could bring Ewan to Taizel, and then still meet up with Eirika in time to be on her side when chapter 15 rolls around? I'm not sure it's that farfetched, actually; he mentions that he was going to head back to Caer Pelyn, and the shortest route there seems to be by heading through Jehanna, so he'd likely cross paths with Eirika as she was coming out of the mountains (and then join forces with her once he hears that Myrrh is traveling with her brother).

Of course, the biggest question is how Eirika's group managed to learn of the route through the mountains if Ewan wasn't there to lead them...
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#8RJWalker243Posted 4/24/2014 12:08:58 PM
NewbieN00b posted...

I'm being saying for a while now but FE2 had the best World Map system in the series. Better than FE8 and way better than FE13.
#9Omnipotent_CowPosted 4/24/2014 12:51:22 PM
I can't help but feel Erika's route is just screwing around for a few chapters while you're missing all the action in Grado.

I will say, though, that Revolt at Carcino is one of my favorite chapters in the game. Also, I liked Queen of The White Dunes better than Father and Son.