CYOA: The Conquest of Valm

#71AranvoidPosted 5/18/2014 12:06:33 PM
Amazing job Chriz.

B. It is a heck of a lot more dire. And perhaps we can persuade no casualties for our country. Risky,but I'm confident it will work. Raises who says we can't ask to take the convoy with us?

Btw are you using an RNG ?
---
"I am the young Emperor,Serlen. Heir to the dragons, descendent of the Hero-Emperor,Ardlin."
"Yes,as heroic as he was,and foolish too."
#72Chrizzel28(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 12:11:18 PM
Nope, I currently plan my options out very carefully without handing it over to an RNG. I take a few smaller goals I try to lead us to, and I focus more on story than numbers. For example, whether we took the option of scouting or heading towards the slavers, we'd meet Walhart through it.

I do try to keep the odds and stuff like that realistic though, so it's not like every fight will be won by us automatically. A prime example being the Myrmidon and the Mercenary rushing in to help us. I try having things dynamic without them being random.
---
"If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people." Tony Benn
#73AranvoidPosted 5/18/2014 12:17:51 PM
Chrizzel28 posted...
Nope, I currently plan my options out very carefully without handing it over to an RNG. I take a few smaller goals I try to lead us to, and I focus more on story than numbers. For example, whether we took the option of scouting or heading towards the slavers, we'd meet Walhart through it.

I do try to keep the odds and stuff like that realistic though, so it's not like every fight will be won by us automatically. A prime example being the Myrmidon and the Mercenary rushing in to help us. I try having things dynamic without them being random.

... Screw the RNG then.
I admit I was using it to see if I liked it,but.... I think I'll go with more realistic outages than stupid numbers.

I must thank you for helping me decide.
---
"I am the young Emperor,Serlen. Heir to the dragons, descendent of the Hero-Emperor,Ardlin."
#74Chrizzel28(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 1:08:40 PM
Aranvoid posted...
Chrizzel28 posted...

... Screw the RNG then.
I admit I was using it to see if I liked it,but.... I think I'll go with more realistic outages than stupid numbers.

I must thank you for helping me decide.

Glad I could help ya. I think that numbers are important in a game, but not in a story. Technically a CYOA can fall in both categories to some degree, but the story should always take priority.

Apparently my writing style really works as well... I showed it to someone and she just started gushing about it, which was confusing to me as I have self esteem issues. I'm glad to see people enjoy my writing though.

My only other piece of advice is that you should plan out the big lines of the story and then choose multiple 'checkpoints' you're heading towards. You could make multiple checkpoints at once or create them as you go along, as both are fine. Between those checkpoints, it's free reign as far as I'm concerned.
---
"If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people." Tony Benn
#75Dragonball9899Posted 5/18/2014 1:16:49 PM
C then B if possible.

And what do you mean by RNG? How would it help in a CYOA? The only reason I ask is because I would like to know if it would help in writing my CYOA.

Keep up the good work.
---
"I'm glad I have your blessing to make Children with your sister."
#76Chrizzel28(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 1:21:41 PM
Dragonball9899 posted...
C then B if possible.

And what do you mean by RNG? How would it help in a CYOA? The only reason I ask is because I would like to know if it would help in writing my CYOA.

Keep up the good work.

People basically using a random number generator to emulate the game in their writing. For example, they calculate the odds of someone dying and then use the RNG to actually put those odds to the test.

Also, should I now consider the first vote a C or a B?
---
#77TestPilotVGCPosted 5/18/2014 1:22:20 PM
Dragonball9899 posted...

By no means does a CYOA have to have an RNG.

But in CYOAs that typically feature (game-based) characters that are heavily-stat reliant, the author may choose to incorporate that facet of the game into the story. If done right, it can add an additional element of depth into the story without removing the reader (too much) from their overall sense of immersion.

For instance, I'm currently contemplating adding an RNG into my CYOA along with a background scenario to make the integration more seamless.
---
FC: 1075-1879-3031 (Magmar, Pyroroar, Braxien) IGN: Ryan
If you add my FC, PM me so I can add you back.
#78Dragonball9899Posted 5/18/2014 1:24:46 PM
TestPilotVGC posted...
Dragonball9899 posted...

By no means does a CYOA have to have an RNG.

But in CYOAs that typically feature (game-based) characters that are heavily-stat reliant, the author may choose to incorporate that facet of the game into the story. If done right, it can add an additional element of depth into the story without removing the reader (too much) from their overall sense of immersion.

For instance, I'm currently contemplating adding an RNG into my CYOA along with a background scenario to make the integration more seamless.

How would it be used properly though?
---
"I'm glad I have your blessing to make Children with your sister."
#79AranvoidPosted 5/18/2014 1:25:43 PM
I consider your writing to be excellent actually. I will admit all of these cyoas going on are keeping me hooked that I hardly have time to catch up with all of them. Haha.
---
#80TestPilotVGCPosted 5/18/2014 1:39:57 PM
Dragonball9899 posted...
How would it be used properly though?

You just assign enemies stats and state them upfront.

Then you offer up several different battle scenarios for the audience to select from.
To keep it basic, I'll list a generic set of options:
A. Turtling
B. Rushing
C. Unit A and Unit C wait at the left, Unit B and Unit D go attack the enemy to the right.

Depending on how complicated you want it to be (whether you have a generic accuracy stat/multiplier, or whether you take into account weapon types) you use the RNG to determine whether your attack hits and whether your opponent's attack hits.
Then you keep track of HP until a unit hits 0.

Of course as the author, you have more tools at your disposal than just the RNG to affect the outcome of a battle sequence.
---
FC: 1075-1879-3031 (Magmar, Pyroroar, Braxien) IGN: Ryan
If you add my FC, PM me so I can add you back.