CYOA: Serendipity

#61TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 2:31:19 PM
Chrizzel28 posted...
C. I have no real criticism to give to you, though I will say the following to everyone;

Your reading experience will be a lot easier and interesting in a weird way when you imagine the voices of all characters to be done by multiple animators from Newgrounds and Youtube. Somehow my experience became amazing once I replaced Anna's voice with that of Stamper.

That does sound interesting...

Alright. The votes currently stand at:
1 for B, 4 for C, 1 for D,

Still taking votes, but seeing as C is the likely winner, I'll be proceeding with that in mind.
So, if anyone wants to overthrow the status quo, vote now!

Anyway, I'm in the process of integrating the use of stats and RNG into the story which will come to the fore in the next update's battle scene.
But before I do, I'd like to ask you, the readers, what you think of such a mechanism.
---
FC: 1075-1879-3031 (Magmar, Pyroroar, Braxien) IGN: Ryan
If you add my FC, PM me so I can add you back.
#62Chrizzel28Posted 5/18/2014 2:35:28 PM
I dislike the mechanism myself, as it doesn't seem necessary to me. However, if it's well implemented, it should be fine. I'm mostly saying this from a fellow writer's perspective and not from a reader's perspective though.
---
"If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people." Tony Benn
#63ClithsbyPosted 5/18/2014 8:07:24 PM
I like the RNG a lot. It makes me actually worry about whether or not the characters will all survive.
#64TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2014 9:57:59 PM(edited)
Alright, after having evaluated both the pros and the cons of adding a RNG-based element, I think I'll give it a shot and see how well a simplified version flows within the narrative.

I had the script for the next scene typed up, but without any aspects of the RNG.
I'll have to modify it somewhat, and hopefully have it up by tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile, feel free to vote, voice suggestions for the story, submit any ideas for OCs / countries, or just comment!

Thanks!
---
#65TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:27:35 PM
You picked C, eh? Let's see how well that goes... *ominous laughter*

“Tut tut” the merchant smirks. “Just three you say? Seeing as you happen to be the duke of this quaint town, sir Edmond, I think I’ll pledge you my sword for now. In return, I’ll expect my stall to be unharmed at the end of this little skirmish.

“Very well. If you’re sure you can fight, then I’ll accept your aid, milady”, you reply. “But if I might ask, who are you?”

The red-head gasps in an overly-dramatic manner. Gesturing with a hand on her hip and a finger on her chin she says, “Shh, don’t tell anyone, but I’m Anna, the Secret Seller. I belong to a large family of merchants who all happen to be named Anna. And as for my skills with the blade, I’ll have you know prices aren’t the only thing I can cut in half!”

Symond uneasily scratches the back of his neck before speaking up. “Uh, alright, but can we save the introductions for later? In case you’ve forgotten we seem to have a bandit problem on our hands!”

Bianca’s voice rings out with equal parts fear and excitement from the parapet she had mounted. “Guys, hurry! There’s at least a dozen of them, and they’re less than half a mile away!”

“Alright! Stations, everyone!” you bark out. “Bianca, just stay up there, and start using your fire magic when they get in range. Anna, you’ll be with me, guarding the entrance. Symond, wait… Where did that lout go?”

“Right here sir! Before closing up shop, one of the merchants offered his well wishes, and more importantly, this heal staff and iron lance in gratitude. How could I say no to free goods? The lance is for you, however it seems like none of us can actually use the staff. Possibly little Bianca over there, but unless I miss my guess, she’s more of a mage acolyte than a full-fledged sage.”

“Don’t go calling me little! But yeah, I was just initiated two months ago. I don’t know how to use staves yet. Sorry…”

“Actually, I learned how to use a little healing magic through my travels. If you give me the staff, I’ll even do it for free!”

“How… generous of you”, you mutter sarcastically. “But fine, it’s better than letting it go to waste. Change of plans then. I’ll frontline. Anna will run support with her blade and staff. Symond, watch our backs, and finish off any weakened foes. Bianca will still provide magical support. Since we still have some time, see if we can analyze our opponents before they reach the gate. Let’s go.”
---
#66TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:29:54 PM
Battle 1: The Graavan Horde

Objective: Survive for seven turns until Alys can bring in reinforcements.

Enemy Data:

Graavan Bandit: lvl 1 x 11
HP: 30/30
Str: 11
Mag: 0
Skl: 9
Def: 3
Res: 0
Lck: 2
Spd: 5

Weaknesses: N/A
Skills: N/A
Items: Iron Axe, (7 mt/80 hit/0 Crit)
Bio: Heartless bandits who prey upon the weakened nation of Graav.

Graavan Raid Leader: lvl 1 x 11
HP: 30/30
Str: 11
Mag: 0
Skl: 9
Def: 3
Res: 0
Lck: 2
Spd: 5

Skills: N/A
Items: Iron Axe, (8 mt/90 hit/0 Crit), Hand Axe (3 mt/70 hit/Crit 0) range 1-2
Bio: A cold blooded bandit with slightly more strength and charisma than most
---
#67TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:36:50 PM
Ally Data:

Edmond, Lancelord: lvl 1 Growths
HP: 19/19 80%
Str: 6 55%
Mag: 0 10%
Skl: 7 45%
Def: 5 45%
Res: 2 35%
Lck: 11 80%
Spd: 7 50%

Skills: Roulette: has a 25% chance to multiply luck by 1.5 or a 25% chance to multiply it by .75 per battle.
Items: Iron Lance (6 mt/85 hit/0 Crit), Vulnerary
Bio: The duke of the small but prosperous land of Glasden, the land has been greatly blessed throughout this up-and-coming duke’s reign. His current motivations are to repulse the threats from the western and southern borders from Graav and Valm and to restore peace to his land once more. The one with most volatile luck.
(potential reclasses: cavalier, knight, thief)

Symond, Thief: lvl 1 Growths
HP: 17/17 65%
Str: 4 45%
Mag: 1 30%
Skl: 6 55%
Def: 3 35%
Res: 1 30%
Lck: 4 45%
Spd: 11 65%

Skills: Steal: Has a 50% chance of stealing an enemy’s item.
Has a (skl+luk)/3 chance of stealing an enemy’s weapon
Locktouch: Automatically opens any door that is not protected by wards
Items: Shortsword (3 mt / 90 acc / 15 crit) – prf (Symond), has 1-2 range
Bio: A shifty character with a vague past, his mannerisms indicate some past experience in dealing with nobility and other members of high society. Despite being reasonably quick-witted and good at responding in a crisis, he happens to be a poor tactician. While not ruled by vengeance, he still seeks retribution for what Walhart did to his hometown of Arafelle. He has a habit of scratching his unruly brown hair or the nape of his neck while nervous. The worst debater in the army.
(Potential reclasses: archer, myrmidon, soldier)

Bianca, Mage: lvl 1 Growths
HP: 16/16 60%
Str: 0 25%
Mag: 6 (8) 65%
Skl: 5 55%
Def: 1 35%
Res: 6 60%
Lck: 5 45%
Spd: 6 55%

Skills: Magic +2: Provides +2 Mag
Items: Elfire (5 mt/85 hit/0 Crit), Jolting (3 mt/70 acc/5 crit), - has 3/8 range, Vulnerary
Bio: Despite being a neophyte of the magic arts, she is a mage of above-average skill. Seems to have a preference for fire elemental-based spells, but is quite adept with wind and thunder anima as well. Orphaned at a young age, she insists that zombie-like creatures were the demise of her parents. The most likely to sleep with a night light.
(potential reclasses: dark mage, pegasus knight, cleric)

Anna, Trickster: lvl 1 Growths
HP: 32/32 75%
Str: 12 40%
Mag: 16 55%
Skl: 15 60%
Def: 6 35%
Res: 12 50%
Lck: 21 65%
Spd: 18 55%

Skills:
Locktouch: Automatically opens any door that is not protected by wards
Wardbreaker: Opens enchanted doors, negates Sleep/Berserk effects within their vicinity.
Has a (mag+luk)/2 chance of halving an enemy’s magical attack.
(tomes, dragonstones, levin swords/bolt axes/shocksticks etc.)
Items: Steel Sword, (8 mt/90 hit/0 Crit), Heal, Vulnerary
Bio: A member of the Anna clan, this merchant has slightly more combat experience than her sister working the Outrealm Gate-which isn’t very much at all. She’s also slightly more magically-inclined than her siblings, and also slightly more generous. The one who drives the hardest bargain.
(potential reclasses: mage, thief, troubadour)
(base class: Merchant-special class)

Now, knowing your own strengths, and those of your foe, how do you proceed:
A. Frontline with Anna. Everyone else is support.
B. Use Bianca's Jolting tome to pick off the bandits (warning, she can't control it very well yet).
C. Lead with Symond, hoping his skills as a thief will prevent him from being hurt.
D. Stick to the original plan.
E. Fake a surrender to buy time.
---
#68Chrizzel28Posted 5/19/2014 1:39:18 PM
I didn't read it, too many numbers 'n' s****. I'll blindly choose B.

Having attention issues and reading a CYOA with an RNG is a great combo.
---
"If you can find money to kill people, you can find money to help people." Tony Benn
#69TestPilotVGC(Topic Creator)Posted 5/19/2014 1:40:28 PM
Chrizzel28 posted...

Sorry. Was all of this too much at once?
---
#70Chrizzel28Posted 5/19/2014 1:43:45 PM
TestPilotVGC posted...
Chrizzel28 posted...

Sorry. Was all of this too much at once?

It's probably just me. I can only read a story for its story, adding all these statistics only makes it confusing and surreal to me. Part of the reason I didn't add an RNG to my own story is that I simply can't handle doing all those calculations and stuff simply to get a few things in that only distract me from the actual story.
---