I love fire emblem, but this game overwelms me. Am I alone?

#1Saving_ThrowPosted 5/18/2014 9:40:32 AM
It just seems like there is so much going on below the surface, all the children and reclassification possibilities and DLC and grinding and skills ect, it's honesty kind of turned me off from playing much farther than chapter 10.

Can someone suggest to me, someone who has played every other English released game in the series, how to take this game a bite at a time and actually swallow it? Is there any general consensus about the better pairings for a playthrough and the better assets/flaws for your user character and what characters make the better classes and which classes give the better skills and really any information you think I should know? I really want to like this game, I just can't tackle it!

Thanks so much!
---
When you have a girl you love, two or three friends you can trust and take that first step towards your future, you my friend have grown up.
#217MasterPosted 5/18/2014 9:44:39 AM
Don't worry too much about trying to reclass a lot, doing so just makes your team overpowered for the main story. You should get by fine if your team uses one Master Seal a piece (for those that start in a first tier class).

Just pair up characters you think will go well together, it does not take optimized pairings or optimized anything to clear the game.

Honestly, just play the game. Everything you need to know will make itself known when the time is right. And getting information from most of the guys here will just ruin the experience, unless you are type who likes to have ultra hyper giga optimized everything the very first time you play.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/17Master
Official Milotic of the Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire boards.
#3MalcolmMasherPosted 5/18/2014 9:58:07 AM
Don't sweat it. Awakening does have a lot of features to take in, but you do not need to exploit (or even use) them in order to beat the game. Unless you're playing on Lunatic, but the remedy to that is simply "don't start on Lunatic". Leave all of the Second Seals and suchlike for postgame, or for replays.
---
I don't like this duchy. Now, it's an adventurer.
#4HayashiTakaraPosted 5/18/2014 10:21:31 AM
Just don't think too much on it, just play the game normally, as in, take one battle at a time. Don't worry about pairings, because really it doesn't matter unless you're a min-maxer. Just go with whichever pairing you like best and you'll still be fine. All the intricate calculations and other such nonsense isn't necessary to enjoy the game.
#5YayorNayPosted 5/18/2014 10:58:26 AM(edited)
It's really not that hard, the more skills is usually the better. Marriage combines the classes from both parents (except in the case of where a parent has a (fe)male-only class to a daughter (or son in case of female). This changes it to a (fe)male-only class, where sometimes it gives an extremely useful ability (Galeforce cough cough). The ones who can pass down galeforce to daughters are Gaius, Donnel and MaMU (though I would recommend MaMU into a 2nd gen marriage so that not only do all of the children have S rank which is kind important, Morgan can be extremely strong). Skills>Mods, and just know what skills are good (sol, galeforce, vengeance, vantage etc.) Some classes are obviously better than others (war clerics/monks for instance are pretty bad, whilst sorcerers, and sages are commonly agreed upon to be some of the best if not the best).

But most importantly, have fun. Don't be overwhelmed, you'll start to understand it as you go on at your own pace. If you don't care about optimization just ignore the above, because having fun is the most important thing in a game.
---
Official Husband of Lucina
#6mittelschmerzPosted 5/18/2014 11:59:06 AM
You should just play the game on your own once through without using this board at all and then you can start playing with reclassing and kids and whatnot for your next playthrough on a harder difficulty.
#7ShadowTwilightPosted 5/18/2014 12:03:38 PM
mittelschmerz posted...
You should just play the game on your own once through without using this board at all and then you can start playing with reclassing and kids and whatnot for your next playthrough on a harder difficulty.

---
"To this I have said, "Obviously." I can speaking this obviously to have making this.Self-teaching many powerful."-gandob FC:5129-0840-4086
#8SWBF2PilotPosted 5/18/2014 6:41:21 PM
ShadowTwilight posted...
mittelschmerz posted...

This. All the potential-maxing is not something you should be remotely worried about unless you're on hard-classic or higher.
---
"Siegfried: He has no need for words, he speaks with whiffs." - Wandrian
Official General of the Fire Emblem: Awakening Boards
#9RDS1Posted 5/18/2014 6:48:29 PM
SWBF2Pilot posted...
ShadowTwilight posted...
mittelschmerz posted...

This. All the potential-maxing is not something you should be remotely worried about unless you're on hard-classic or higher.

Heck, I am on Hard Classic and I still don't worry about min-maxing.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#10The Fir CoatPosted 5/18/2014 10:40:20 PM
SWBF2Pilot posted...
ShadowTwilight posted...
mittelschmerz posted...

Caring about potential besides "Marry MU to Chrom" is something that is only required for another, better game. Even on Lunatic there is little reason to use anyone else.
---
======,-' . . . . \###/ . . . .__. . . . ,'======= Auto Phoenix?!?
=====,-' . . . . . . . . . ./###\ . . ,'======== I'm boned!!