I'll be the one to say it. Does Tharja deserved all the hate she gets?

#1FowhawkPosted 6/12/2014 8:04:42 PM
I have been looking over Tharja's supports and I am beginning to think most of the hate she receives is not deserved. Don't get me wrong I am not the biggest fan of Tharja, give me bubbly Lissa, timid Olivia, or strong willed Lucina any day over her. But lets take a look at some of her supports. So let me play Devil's advocate here.

Virion: In the support Tharja orders Virion around under the impression that he is cursed to do her bidding. Upon finding out he isn't cursed she is mad but Virion, in a Virion manner, just tells her he enjoys serving a beautiful woman. In the end Virion sees Tharja's kindness because all the things he did benefits others. Tharja does care about the other Shepards here.

Kellam: Tharja goes out of her way to help Kellam contact his family. She can sympathize with him because she worries about her family as well. Kind of a weak showing her good side conversation but on that adds to her good traits anyways,

Donnel: Donnel turns into Tharja's errand boy yes, but he does it because he knows Tharja is going to use the curse to benefit the Sheaprds in some way. Tharja is really helpful to Shepards on a personal level.

Lon'qu: Okay here is her highlight. This is a really good conversation. Tharja is willing to go the extra mile to cure Lon'qu's fear for next to nothing. Does he go through with it, no, but she still decided to help Lon'qu for nothing.

Ricken: Teacher/Student relationship. That's pretty much all I have to say Tharja takes a young mind under her wing and teaches him about curses and how they aren't all bad. Again helping out others.

Nowi: Oh this support. Tharja helps know find out about her parents. Is it good? No but she doesn't outright tell her what happened. And I always got the feeling she lied about that future of Nowi's to cheer her up. Maybe that's just me.

Noire: Now I know what you are thinking. This conversation, good for Tharja's character? Well it is. Her only, well unless you count Morgan, daughter she wants as far away from curses as possible.

And I know one of the main gripes with her is that she uses her child(ren) as curse dummies. I really don't this anything of too much harm would be casted from her conversation with Noire. And even then I always imagined she stopped with the curse post Norie A conversation, but the support tile conversation obviously don't change except with marriage.

And if we are talking Future parents I don't think Tharja is the worst. She is infact one of the better, leaving Noire with no knowledge of curse so she doesn't harm herself after her passing and a talisman so that she can defend herself. If I had to pick a worse Future parent it is Cordelia. She focused too much on the fighting rather than her kid when others like Tharja and Sumia found time to interact with her child.

TL:DR Is Tharja the most sympathetic member of the Shepards? Far from it. Does she get a lot of undeserved hate? I think so.
---
3DS FC: 0774 4302 3711
FS: Tangela, Sawsbuck, Quiladan
#2unknownuberPosted 6/12/2014 8:08:04 PM
Fowhawk posted...
I have been looking over Tharja's supports and I am beginning to think most of the hate she receives is not deserved. Don't get me wrong I am not the biggest fan of Tharja, give me bubbly Lissa, timid Olivia, or strong willed Lucina any day over her. But lets take a look at some of her supports. So let me play Devil's advocate here.

Virion: In the support Tharja orders Virion around under the impression that he is cursed to do her bidding. Upon finding out he isn't cursed she is mad but Virion, in a Virion manner, just tells her he enjoys serving a beautiful woman. In the end Virion sees Tharja's kindness because all the things he did benefits others. Tharja does care about the other Shepards here.

Kellam: Tharja goes out of her way to help Kellam contact his family. She can sympathize with him because she worries about her family as well. Kind of a weak showing her good side conversation but on that adds to her good traits anyways,

Donnel: Donnel turns into Tharja's errand boy yes, but he does it because he knows Tharja is going to use the curse to benefit the Sheaprds in some way. Tharja is really helpful to Shepards on a personal level.

Lon'qu: Okay here is her highlight. This is a really good conversation. Tharja is willing to go the extra mile to cure Lon'qu's fear for next to nothing. Does he go through with it, no, but she still decided to help Lon'qu for nothing.

Ricken: Teacher/Student relationship. That's pretty much all I have to say Tharja takes a young mind under her wing and teaches him about curses and how they aren't all bad. Again helping out others.

Nowi: Oh this support. Tharja helps know find out about her parents. Is it good? No but she doesn't outright tell her what happened. And I always got the feeling she lied about that future of Nowi's to cheer her up. Maybe that's just me.

Noire: Now I know what you are thinking. This conversation, good for Tharja's character? Well it is. Her only, well unless you count Morgan, daughter she wants as far away from curses as possible.

And I know one of the main gripes with her is that she uses her child(ren) as curse dummies. I really don't this anything of too much harm would be casted from her conversation with Noire. And even then I always imagined she stopped with the curse post Norie A conversation, but the support tile conversation obviously don't change except with marriage.

And if we are talking Future parents I don't think Tharja is the worst. She is infact one of the better, leaving Noire with no knowledge of curse so she doesn't harm herself after her passing and a talisman so that she can defend herself. If I had to pick a worse Future parent it is Cordelia. She focused too much on the fighting rather than her kid when others like Tharja and Sumia found time to interact with her child.

TL:DR Is Tharja the most sympathetic member of the Shepards? Far from it. Does she get a lot of undeserved hate? I think so.

Tharja left Kellam to the bowels of Obscurity along with the rest of History to look for MU in thier ending so that point goes out the window for that.
She was my First Waifu so I got a soft spot for her
---
Unown will be Uber-Tier one of these days....
#3OwnagepuffsPosted 6/12/2014 8:44:07 PM
No, people just hate what is popular. The usual. And Tharja non vocal fan base is annoying as all hell despite the fact the you see more people complaining about her than glorifying her.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#4rascal45Posted 6/12/2014 9:05:53 PM
Also you can put some of the blame with Tharja's character in the US/PAL version on the localization team. Yes. She has a huge almost bizarre interest in the avatar character, but the localization took a step further at times. In the A rank, Tharja only said that Robin has that cute look of a baby sleeping at the end of the conversation piece. Also during the S rank extra image, Tharja didn't threaten to kill Robin in the JPN version either. She only said that it's too late for Robin to start second guessing his decision.
---
http://i.minus.com/ib7LWVZLt8VZl.gif
#5RJWalker243Posted 6/13/2014 2:41:27 AM
Completely deserved. A child abuser deserves all the hate they get.

And hse curses Morgan too if she's her daughter.
#6sting__artPosted 6/13/2014 3:52:52 AM
Tharja is the most married character from FE:A, ever.

At the end of the day she gets much more loved than hate.
#7Bronze_StuffPosted 6/13/2014 5:23:11 AM
I hate characters that try to hide their emotions and you have to look for the good in them. Being a child abuser only adds to that.
---
Jimbo.
#8Strawberry_EggsPosted 6/13/2014 5:51:38 AM
I could get off the proverbial fence about her if they drop the child abuse angle, or at the very least restrict it to her future self and make her present self aghast at her own behavior. I actually like that she seems to be a good person in spite of how she feels a dark mage should behave, but mistreating her own child completely destroys that.
---
Why you are here is a profound mystery indeed.
#9Cheesepower5Posted 6/13/2014 6:16:47 AM
Mass Effect wiped the proper spelling of the word "Shepherd" from the collective unconscious.

Anyway, I like Tharja well enough as a character, but none of these really change that she abuses her husband and daughter. She has some complexity and a funny personality, but she isn't a moral beacon of greatness.
---
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words -- dying to believe in what you heard, I was staring straight into the shining sun.
#10RJWalker243Posted 6/13/2014 6:25:28 AM
Cheesepower5 posted...
Mass Effect wiped the proper spelling of the word "Shepherd" from the collective unconscious.

Uh, no, Shepard is named after a real person.