What's with the fascination with Chrom x Sumia?

#21Pepsi_AlPosted 6/21/2014 10:47:57 AM
Ownagepuffs posted...
No, because the game needs the player to have shipping freedom. Chrom X Sumia doesn't need to be shoved down everybody's throat more than it already is.

Giving the pair a more romantic feel would hardly make it "more shoved down people's throats than it already is". Lewyn/Fury, Beowulf/Raquesis, Holyn/Ayra, Seliph/Lana, Roy/Lilina, Eliwood/Ninian, Hector/Lyn, among other examples, were more romantic than Chrom/Sumia could ever hope to be, and the player still had the "shipping freedom" to go with whatever they prefer. (Especially in Beowulf/Raquesis's case, since Beowulf wasn't too well liked among the Japanese FE fandom.) Part of what I'm complaining about is that Chrom/Sumia didn't come across as romantic as those listed, and instead came across as pretty generic and uninteresting. It couldn't have killed I.S. to fix that before the game was released.

You've been watching too many romantic movies.

Funny you say that. Because I don't watch romance movies, period. Ever.

Not every romance is a magical happily ever after story.

Do you seriously and honestly think that I don't know that?!

The supports are romantic enough.

The two seem more like they're becoming good friends more than anything else. That's hardly what I'd call "romantic". Heck, much of the complaints of several of the S supports in this game is largely because of how awkward they are, and how much far from out of nowhere they come from. Chrom/Sumia is hardly an exception to this. Especially given how shadowofchaos got an angry comment from a Japanese FE13 player in response to comparing Chrom/Sumia to Marth/Caeda.

Subjective. Chroivia is cringeworthy.

I don't see what's so "cringeworthy" about having social awkwardness at first, and finding out that there may be something in common between the two afterwards. However, I will admit that you don't get to see that during normal gameplay, and instead you see the relationship happen with no reason or rhyme. But that's more of a fault of I.S. arbitrarily making restrictions on what supports you can make for Chrom and making Olivia a failsafe for stat and skill inheritance than it is a fault of the pair itself.

Henry's is overrated. They switch bodies and then they fall in love. This is how much better than the pies?

The C and B support doesn't involve any body switching of any sort. And the S support only mentions that a body swap happened between the A and S supports. And there are people that think that the pie mentions in Chrom's and Sumia's supports with each other carry an unfortunate implication. That's what happens when cultural boundaries clash sometimes. But in my case, it's not so much the pies as it is that Chrom/Sumia comes across as pretty boring in comparison.

Chrom X Sumia's S support is amazing.

Chrom/Sumia Ch. 11 confession > Chrom/Sumia S support. That's all I have to say about this.

They can't give Sumia exclusive screen time because she is not his canon wife despite implications.

Duly noted. But there at least could have been something that would keep Sumia relevant. Take FE4 for example. Canon pairing implications or not, that game still had plenty of characters that were still relevant. Even if it was to minor parts of the story. I still would have liked for Sumia to remain relevant like that, even when considering the implications. Even something equivalent to Lyn's endgame conversation with Eliwood in FE7's Hector's Story would have been alright.
#22Pepsi_AlPosted 6/21/2014 10:55:49 AM
shiningpikablu252 posted...
unknownuber posted...
Finally, Someone brings Cynthia's paralogue up, seriously how can she not see he's not Chrom

Yeah, there's really no viable reason why Cynthia would mistake Ruger for Chrom in the first place. Regardless of who her father is, and especially given how events fell in the children characters' original future (it's implied they've all been born by the time the showdown against Validar took place in the original timeline, whereas the main timeline has only Lucina born by this point). The game makes it clear that Ruger and Chrom look pretty much nothing alike, meaning any child character save maybe Morgan should have been able to see that Ruger was not Chrom with only one glance.

Looks like someone skipped over the part where I said "You've got villagers running away from Chrom in fear. Implying that Ruger either is using a disguise to make himself look like Chrom, or that Ruger really is supposed to look like Chrom." So it makes sense for Cynthia to fall for Ruger's tricks in any other scenario. (Read: A scenario where she ISN'T Chrom's daughter.) But as Chrom's daughter, one would expect Cynthia to pick up on the fact that Ruger is a blatant imposter bent of defaming Ylisse's ruler.
#23unknownuber(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 12:06:05 PM
Pepsi_Al posted...
shiningpikablu252 posted...
unknownuber posted...
Finally, Someone brings Cynthia's paralogue up, seriously how can she not see he's not Chrom

Yeah, there's really no viable reason why Cynthia would mistake Ruger for Chrom in the first place. Regardless of who her father is, and especially given how events fell in the children characters' original future (it's implied they've all been born by the time the showdown against Validar took place in the original timeline, whereas the main timeline has only Lucina born by this point). The game makes it clear that Ruger and Chrom look pretty much nothing alike, meaning any child character save maybe Morgan should have been able to see that Ruger was not Chrom with only one glance.

Looks like someone skipped over the part where I said "You've got villagers running away from Chrom in fear. Implying that Ruger either is using a disguise to make himself look like Chrom, or that Ruger really is supposed to look like Chrom." So it makes sense for Cynthia to fall for Ruger's tricks in any other scenario. (Read: A scenario where she ISN'T Chrom's daughter.) But as Chrom's daughter, one would expect Cynthia to pick up on the fact that Ruger is a blatant imposter bent of defaming Ylisse's ruler.

Or
The Villagers have no idea what Chrom looks like (They just went off of Rutger's description) after all the village is located on a remote island in between continents most likely with no access to news of other continents...
---
Unown will be Uber-Tier one of these days....
#24OwnagepuffsPosted 6/21/2014 12:50:27 PM
Pepsi_Al posted...

Giving the pair a more romantic feel would hardly make it "more shoved down people's throats than it already is". Lewyn/Fury, Beowulf/Raquesis, Holyn/Ayra, Seliph/Lana, Roy/Lilina, Eliwood/Ninian, Hector/Lyn, among other examples, were more romantic than Chrom/Sumia could ever hope to be, and the player still had the "shipping freedom" to go with whatever they prefer. (Especially in Beowulf/Raquesis's case, since Beowulf wasn't too well liked among the Japanese FE fandom.) Part of what I'm complaining about is that Chrom/Sumia didn't come across as romantic as those listed, and instead came across as pretty generic and uninteresting. It couldn't have killed I.S. to fix that before the game was released.

Those games didn't have a self insert protagonist. By giving the player shipping freedom I specifically meant giving Chrom's fangirls the freedom to ship themselves with Chrom. Every support in the game in designed in a way where C-A is neutral then the S gives the entire support romantic subtext. How much more romantic do you want the support to be? Given that those were bento boxes in the original version the romantic subtext is plenty enough.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#25Pepsi_AlPosted 6/21/2014 1:11:37 PM
Aside from the fact that FE7 DID have a self-insert protagonist (Read: Mark), why should the presence of a self-insert protagonist, or lack thereof, matter? Last I checked, not many players actually see Robin as an extension of themselves like it's intended to be. Kinda like Aldo from the video game for Godfather I. Or Link from the Zelda series.

As for how more romantic Chrom/Sumia should be, gee! Let me think. How about have them involve something developing on what made Sumia decide to become a Shepherd? Or expound on the feelings that Sumia's implied to have on her first literal introduction? I'm not saying that it has to be major, but at least it should be something that players wouldn't find boring. The way it's presented as is seems like a step backwards compared to other (implied) pairs in the series.
#26unknownuber(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 1:22:30 PM
Pepsi_Al posted...
<
Giving the pair a more romantic feel would hardly make it "more shoved down people's throats than it already is". Lewyn/Fury, Beowulf/Raquesis, Holyn/Ayra, Seliph/Lana, Roy/Lilina, Eliwood/Ninian, Hector/Lyn, among other examples, were more romantic than Chrom/Sumia could ever hope to be.

Add in Micaiah/Sothe Kris/Katarina
---
#27Pepsi_AlPosted 6/21/2014 1:32:05 PM
^ Didn't feel like adding those in because FE10 has barebones for paired endings, while any endings FE12 has are fixed.
#28legendriderPosted 6/21/2014 1:52:42 PM
unknownuber posted...
Pepsi_Al posted...
<
Giving the pair a more romantic feel would hardly make it "more shoved down people's throats than it already is". Lewyn/Fury, Beowulf/Raquesis, Holyn/Ayra, Seliph/Lana, Roy/Lilina, Eliwood/Ninian, Hector/Lyn, among other examples, were more romantic than Chrom/Sumia could ever hope to be.

You know, I say Chrom and Sumia is shoved at you a lot, but now that you've said it...yeeeeeaaaah. Okay it IS pushed....but yeah...compared to others...hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- *cough*

Y-yeah, others are way more romantic.
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi.
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196, Y IGN: Tommy
#29unknownuber(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 2:44:17 PM(edited)
legendrider posted...
unknownuber posted...
Pepsi_Al posted...
<

You know, I say Chrom and Sumia is shoved at you a lot, but now that you've said it...yeeeeeaaaah. Okay it IS pushed....but yeah...compared to others...hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- *cough*

Y-yeah, others are way more romantic.

Kris/Katarina was strongly implied more so then the others even in Awakening... And people say Avatars shouldn't have a canon gender...
(Rogues and Redeemers) Male Avatar Only Conversation
Katarina
You...

Robin
...Yes? Me?

Katarina
I'm sorry. It's just...for a moment, you reminded me of someone dear to me. It's probably just in my head. Forget I said anything.

Robin
Well, you can't just leave it like that. Tell me about this man.

Katarina
Well, he had no sense of direction. And he was a terrible cook...

Robin
I'm sorry I asked...

Katarina
But he was strong, and kind... He believed in me right until the end and guided me back to the light. Even if he were reborn as someone else, he'd have a place in my heart.

Robin
Er...thank you.

Katarina
What? ...Ah! I'm sorry! I have no idea what I'm saying!

Robin
Heh, to be honest, neither do I.

Katarina
A-anyway, you're the enemy tactician, aren't you?

Robin
That's right.

Katarina
Then you're an important target. I'm sorry, but I have to take you down.

Robin
What?! Yeesh, you sure change your mind quick!
---
#30RDS1Posted 6/21/2014 8:12:11 PM
unknownuber posted...
Or
The Villagers have no idea what Chrom looks like (They just went off of Rutger's description) after all the village is located on a remote island in between continents most likely with no access to news of other continents...

There's still the fact that the villagers reacted with terror just by laying eyes on Chrom, even though no one in his group had referred to him as "Chrom" in the villagers' presence.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)