Worst FE Lord ever?

#41AranvoidPosted 7/5/2014 4:27:19 PM
Tbh, I always thought it was cool that Leif and Celice were cousins. Only made me like FE4 more with its family related bonds and beliefs.
---
Official Emperor-King of the board.
"I'm never alone. Heroic blood or not, my friends are my strength!" -Unknown, from Begonian Legacy
#42Sentinel07Posted 7/5/2014 4:28:40 PM
AmalCassel36 posted...
Sentinel07 posted...
I guess I'm one of few who never had a problem with Lyn at all gameplay-wise. For me, she always remained one of my deadliest units. A bit weak on Defense for sure, but her strength was decent and criticals were deadly. Never had a problem with her. Her personality was okay too, and I blame her lack of story on the fact that her game was made later the sequel. If Roy's game had been made afterwards, maybe Lyn could have been more than a tutorial Lord.

Chrom is the most bland in terms of character development since he doesn't experience much loss other than Emmeryn. Other than that, he pretty much acts the same for the entire game.

And really, Emmeryn's death didn't really change him either. He was angry for 1 chapter and then he was exactly the same guy.

Pretty much.
#43Pepsi_AlPosted 7/5/2014 4:49:12 PM(edited)
Master_Gamer posted...
Pepsi_Al posted...
Last I checked, 40% wasn't a shabby growth.

It kind of is when your bases are bad. The difference between 30% and 40% growths are two points of stats across twenty levels, and Lyn has an abysmal 4 base.. For reference, Rutoga comes at level 4 with 7, along with four more HP and three more defense than she'll have at level 4. And two more speed. And two more Con. And comes from a game where you'll actually say to yourself, "Man, I'm sure glad I have this unit with overkill speed/skill!"
It's kinda funny how the same thing could literally be applied to Eliwood, who starts off with 7 Spd. Which last I checked, is unable to double much of anything earlygame.

Lyn is kind of not great. I don't think she's the worst unit ever, since Roy has a lot of those issues in his own game when being compared to Dieck's monster bases and comparable growths while being in a harder game, and the Mani Katti is a Rapier 2.0, but she does kind of give myrmidons a bad name.

How many units can you count on hand that can use Longbows without much trouble and make an effective counter to enemy Valkyries and Luna-using Sorcerers? I can think of at least 2, and Lyn IS one of them. How's that "giving Myrmidons a bad name"? Especially when you've got Guy, whose best support option is someone who's likely gonna be pretty far away from him due to being needed elsewhere? (In other words, Matthew.)
#44HeroicSomaCruzPosted 7/5/2014 4:35:54 PM
Eirika. She's not that strong, while Ephraim was a tank.
---
NNID: OgnarPliskin. I stream games. Dark Souls, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., and more.
twitch.tv/ognarpliskin
#45OwnagepuffsPosted 7/5/2014 4:57:14 PM
At the same time, by the time it starts running out, she'll be able to hold her own. And even if she somehow manages to run into trouble with a run in with a General or a Paladin, there's always the Hammerne staff.

I'd rather use the Hammerne staff on Hector's Wolf Beil or the uber spear. Allocating resources to a character to make them good is not a defense for a character. Otherwise I could sit here and say Hector's 5 mov doesn't matter because boots (though giving Hector boots is hilarious).

While that is true, her high speed will eventually grant her high AVO, which easily helps make up for any poor defenses she may have.

Her high Avo is meaningless in a game where she's contantly facing WTD. One of those Lances will hit and her wet paper durability will come back to haunt her.

Last I checked, 40% wasn't a shabby growth. And her Strength is expected to grow enough that by promotion, she'll be killing enemies without much previous aid. Even more so by setting up a support triangle with Hector and Eliwood, with the last support slot possibly going to a C with Florina.

In the experience of most players, including my own, her strength simple doesn't cut it (pun not intended). He PP is average and her EP is balls. Setting up supports is a pain in the posterior. C Florina is the only one she's getting in a reasonable amount of time.

There's more than enough enemies to keep her level up to speed.

Even with Lyn mode she'll be getting out of there at like 11 max unless she killed everything (not counting Lungdren abuse). Sure, you could do that, but the opportunity cost not having a boss as f*** Sain.

Problem. Eliwood is a jack of all stats and master of none. He's easily not the best candidate for that first Heaven Seal that you get. Despite how good his growths are, and how his averages look on paper, Eliwood still has a non-negligible chance being RNG screwed. Hector, even though he's, well, Hector, can also afford to pass up the first Heaven Seal. Besides, Cog of Destiny has plenty of enemies for Eliwood tp make full use of his Rapier.

Eliwood is pretty susceptible to RNG screwage I agree. But once he gets going he really gets going. It makes promoting him worth the wait. Also, it's not just the crucial Javelin access, it's dat 16 Aid and 7 mov. He can carry promoted Hector and Oswin's fat asses around and participate in rescue chains, for what it's worth. The decent offense boost + rescue utility > decent offense boost alone. Hector being the exception because he's Hector.

There are trades to consider. And also Cog of Destiny too, which has high speed Valkyries and Luna Sorcerers.

You got this one.

So I'm guessing the names "Matthew, Lowen, Guy, Fiora, Heath, Legault, Rath, and Wallace" mean nothing to you?

Matt's prety cool since he steals stuff. Lowen's an early game tank, Guy has early killing edge offense, Heath flies, has good growths, and is probably the best candidate for the Afa's Drops, Legault = Member card/10 and decent offense, Rath's on a Horse, Wallace means you don't get Geitz which sucks in itself not to mention OsWIN has been doing his job for like the past 10+ chapters. Lyn just doesn't offer any utility at join time, offers less as the game goes on due to low move and Sword Lock, and when she does Promote you have a few promotes running around and don't need offense.

Louise starts with good bases and B bows meaning you can toss a Killer and Brave Bow on her immediately. No one else worth mentioning is going to use those weapons anyway. She can also support Pent. Considering your first heaven seal is when Louise joins Lyn shouldn't be your bowman.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#46Master_GamerPosted 7/5/2014 5:01:10 PM
Pepsi_Al posted...
It's kinda funny how the same thing could literally be applied to Eliwood, who starts off with 7 Spd. Which last I checked, is unable to double much of anything earlygame.

Most units have trouble doubling early though, at least. Not that I'm trying to make excuses, the fact that Eliwood is Roy kind of speaks for itself on his inherit mediocrity.

How many units can you count on that can use Longbows without much trouble and make an effective counter to enemy Valkyries and Luna-using Sorcerers? I can think of at least 2, and Lyn IS one of them? How's that "giving Myrmidons a bad name"? Especially when you've got Guy, whose best support option is someone who's likely gonna be pretty far away from him due to being needed elsewhere? (In other words, Matthew.)

I was thinking more on how Lyn and Guy made me think myrmidons were garbage trash units who were min/maxed to fill the superfluous niche of high speed/skill and (that they often can't even do right because of Con) until Binding Blade, to be honest. And Sorcerors/Valkeryes? How many of those do you see around?

And doesn't Guy support Prisilla? I mean, given his own issues, using him when Raven's right there is essentially an act of charity on par with getting Arden battle-capable, so you might as well go whole hog, right?
---
http://youtu.be/n5Drq_YW0Gs http://youtu.be/dK-Z0Ts-jVc
Mega Man rocks.
#47DragonKnight387Posted 7/5/2014 5:06:35 PM
Sentinel07 posted...
I guess I'm one of few who never had a problem with Lyn at all gameplay-wise. For me, she always remained one of my deadliest units. A bit weak on Defense for sure, but her strength was decent and criticals were deadly. Never had a problem with her. Her personality was okay too, and I blame her lack of story on the fact that her game was made later the sequel. If Roy's game had been made afterwards, maybe Lyn could have been more than a tutorial Lord.

Chrom is the most bland in terms of character development since he doesn't experience much loss other than Emmeryn. Other than that, he pretty much acts the same for the entire game.

I agree with Lyn being a fairly good unit. She's a fine Myrmidon Lord, which makes her an evasion tank. But, yeah, it's true that she's not that relevant to the larger game, and I probably would have preferred FE7 to have two lords (although canon-wise, she'd have to replace Hector as Lilina's parent to make it work).

Chrom...I might have thought his growth was sufficient if Emmeryn was a better character. She's so one-dimensional and perfect that she ends up being boring, and I didn't really care at all. Now, if it was Lissa that was killed off, the revenge chapter would be even better.
---
3DS:1075-0914-2884
PSN: Dragonknight387
#48guedesbrawlPosted 7/5/2014 5:07:11 PM
AmalCassel36 posted...
Lyn. Her storyline is pointless, its just a tutorial for the main game. She adds nothing to the Eliwood/Hector main story. Her only purpose is to be Hector's future wife. And she is a terrible unit later in the game. And she doesn't have much of a personality, but sadly this can be said of pretty much every FE lord, except Hector.

Terrible? lol
---
"I pride myself on being a fairly hardcore gamer. How tough am I? I grew up beating Contra in kindergarten... with no milk." - RatheV . Chrom for SSB4
#49OwnagepuffsPosted 7/5/2014 5:08:53 PM
RJWalker243 posted...
Ownagepuffs posted...
RJWalker243 posted...
Character: Chrom.

Gameplay: Roy.

Hey now, Chrom just drew the short straw by being the lead of a bad story. He himself isn't a bad character. He does remind me a lot of Sigurd which is why I like 'em both.

I don't really agree. Sure he had potential but it's still wasted and that makes him a bad character in my eyes. Anyway, he canonically never seems to learn anything over the course of the game. Even after the events of chapter 9 which could have hammered home the point that sometimes sacrifices are necessary, he's still willing to damn the whole world and future generations to keep his precious Robin alive and not let them sacrifice themselves and kill Grima forever.

Fair point. I don't really hold it against him (I know I should) because the game was dead set on kissing Avatar's ass. He did understand that sacrifices are necessary, hence whe he actually fought Walhart and Gangrel. But that third arc was vomit induicng in its entirety. Sometime I repress it out of my mind because it's so terrible.

RJWalker243 posted...
Oh please, get real. Marth undergoes more character development in the 4 prologue chapters than Chrom does in the entire game. Having his entire world fall apart and lose everyone close to him, having to make tough decisions and having his perspective changed, etc. There's more merit in the prologue of Shadow Dragon then there is in 25+ chapters of Awakening. Attacking me and saying I'm 'deadset on hating anything Awakening related' even though my posts contains a prominent example of why Chrom doesn't mature at all whereas you're just saying "hoho you're wrong ur just a hater lolz" is laughable.

I blame Awakening's story instead of Chrom. I don't hold Awakening's bad plot against Chrom, really. I appreciate the potential he had that was robbed because the story is a clusterf***. He had his moments, at the very least, but the structure of Awakening's story doesn't allow for character development.

I won't sit here and deny that he was static, but I just don't hold him to blame for it. Personality wise, he's fine. Character wise, he's also fine so I didn't mind him being static. But he lacked all forms of development because Awakening's story is just so awful.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#50OwnagepuffsPosted 7/5/2014 5:13:55 PM
AmalCassel36 posted...
Alright, I admit she isn't that terrible of a unit, but she's nothing special either. Low defense, low HP, low strength, but she is very quick and has good luck. She's better than Eliwood, but there are plenty of units better than her in the game. As for her personality, what? She is a strong woman who doesn't want to be looked down on because she's a woman (haven't seen that before) she is loyal to her friends( again, not much) and she also hates bandits. Like I said though, she isn't the only bland lord in the FE series. They pretty much all are except Hector.

Hector's my favorite lord and all, but the dude was just as generic as every other Lord just in a different way. He was a stereotypical brash badass who always resorted to violence. The game puts him in a pedestal to boot. He broke the mold, but he wasn't some magically good character because of it. It was just a departure from the usual lord. He was basically the red to Eliwood's blue, as ironic as that sounds.

Bashing the lords for being bland and generic then praising Hector is very dumb.
---
-Apollo Justice