Any tips for a beginner to the series?

#1Eternal_Dream21Posted 7/20/2014 8:23:36 PM
So I've never played a Fire Emblem before and I've had this game since release but never got around to playing it until now. I've played for about 40 minutes, but I feel lost. There just seems to be so much to the game. Could anyone give a beginner some tips please? It would be appreciated. Oh and by the way, I have started the game on Hard/Classic mode, should I have went with Normal? I usually always start on Hard when I play games, but for this one I'm not so sure, especially since units permanently die...
#2DlordflashPosted 7/20/2014 8:30:24 PM
If hard mode seems to be overwhelming you then by all means take it easy and go to normal mode. However I should probably tell you this game has a casual option when picking difficulties which removes the permadeath feature from the game. So if permadeath isn't something you enjoy go either hard casual or normal casual.

Also you can't switch casual mode on and off so once you pick classic or casual it stays that way.
---
3DS FC: 4897-6258-8667
#3ArcasaurusPosted 7/20/2014 8:32:51 PM
Eh, I would just restart with Normal just because it gives an extensive tutorial while you play.

Basic tips would be to check danger zones carefully (press X for all danger zones, press a specific enemy for that enemy's range in particular), and tap on the Skills on the bottom of the enemy's status screen to learn what they can do (more helpful for late-game). Pair Up is also pretty important, so abuse that.
#4I_eat_tablesPosted 7/21/2014 1:13:57 AM
If you're finding hard overwhelming, starting again on Normal seems sensible. Then again from what you're describing it sounds like it isn't the difficulty but just understanding things that's tough, right? In that case, reading tutorials might be a good idea. The FE games have never been that good at explaining things but if you have tutorials on it makes things a fair bit better.

If you have specific questions about mechanics you're not understanding though, or why certain things happen in battle, feel free to ask about them here. It's easy to answer a specific question but much harder to summarise everything.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#5RezkeshdadeshPosted 7/21/2014 4:17:35 AM
I'd recommend casual for a newcomer. And as stated Normal for the tutorials.

You can always try harder difficulties in later games/playthroughs.
---
Guardian of Useless Facts Everywhere.
3DS Friend Code: 0104-0343-1530
#6WhenDragonsFliPosted 7/21/2014 5:54:59 AM
Rezkeshdadesh posted...
I'd recommend casual for a newcomer. And as stated Normal for the tutorials.

You can always try harder difficulties in later games/playthroughs.

This, except don't get used to it. Do different modes like Hard/Casual, Normal/Classic, Lunatic/Casual...otherwise you will get used to Normal/Casual like me -.- But I treat my Normal/Casuals like Normal/Classic or hard :P
#7ThunderCavalierPosted 7/21/2014 6:01:05 AM
Use Pair Up. Win game.
---
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^
Waiting patiently for the Marisa Kirisame Lux skin~.
#8Eternal_Dream21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 8:45:21 AM(edited)
I_eat_tables posted...
If you're finding hard overwhelming, starting again on Normal seems sensible. Then again from what you're describing it sounds like it isn't the difficulty but just understanding things that's tough, right? In that case, reading tutorials might be a good idea. The FE games have never been that good at explaining things but if you have tutorials on it makes things a fair bit better.

If you have specific questions about mechanics you're not understanding though, or why certain things happen in battle, feel free to ask about them here. It's easy to answer a specific question but much harder to summarise everything.

Exactly, it's not really the game itself that is Hard, it's just that there seems to be a lot of stuff about the game and it feels overwhelming.
#9OwnagepuffsPosted 7/21/2014 9:31:08 AM
Hard/Casual = fun times.

Tips?

Don't be afraid to use Frederick, but don't use him too much. It's harder to say it on paper but you'll know what I mean in practice.

Your Avatar is the strongest character in the game. Go nuts.

Swords beat Axes
Lances beat Swords
Axes beat Lances

^Very important.

Use pair up, the game was built from the ground up with this mechanic in mind.

If a unit looks recruitable, odds are they are recruitable. Have Chrom talk to any character that looks recruitable.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#10TisroeroPosted 7/21/2014 9:32:44 AM
Eternal_Dream21 posted...
I_eat_tables posted...

Exactly, it's not really the game itself that is Hard, it's just that there seems to be a lot of stuff about the game and it feels overwhelming.

It becomes secondhand, like learning to use a stick over a pad in fighting games. Playing blind and letting yourself be surprised or experimenting with all and any items is the best way to play, at least in my opinion.

There's a lot of content and stats, sure, but it's far more simplified than it seems.
---
I'm the Dragon Reborn! In madness I soon shall prevail.
3DS:0447-5767-5668 Gastrodon. TN:Ryuji