Playing the series chronologically?

#1666Kefka666Posted 8/1/2014 4:25:56 AM
First of all: I know this is the awakening section, but as this is the newest title yet, there should be a big possibility of responses.

Recently i started to get into the series with the remake of the first FE game, Shadow Dragon on the DS, which i really enjoy so far. If i wan to play the series chronologically, is Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem on the DS (playing the Fan Translation of cause) the next logical step? I read it is divided into two books, of which the first is a retelling of the first game. If thats true, that would make playing Shadow Dragon pointless, as the same game is part of Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem. Or am i wrong?
#2Blademaster_AioPosted 8/1/2014 5:04:28 AM(edited)
No, New Mystery is a sequel to Shadow Dragon. They have different story lines. I've played both.

Basically, New Mystery takes place after the events of Shadow Dragon. Marth is known as the Hero-king right from the start.
---
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.
#3666Kefka666(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 5:07:58 AM
So the first Book is no remake of ANY FE game before?
#4Blademaster_AioPosted 8/1/2014 5:14:08 AM
Um... this will answer your questions far better than me: http://serenesforest.net/general/generalfaq.htm

However, to answer you, Shadow dragon is a remake of FE1
And New mystery is a remake of FE3
---
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.
#5quittaboi78Posted 8/1/2014 12:12:44 PM
There is no true chronology; most Fire Emblems come in pairs and take place on different continents, so there's only a few direct sequels. Awakening takes place at the end of the timeline, I guess you'd call it, because it celebrate the series' overall history.

Only slightly tricky case is the Akanea games:
1. BS Fire Emblem: Akanea Senki (Akaneia/Archanea Chronicles)
2. Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Ken (The Dark Dragon and Sword of Light)
3. Fire Emblem Gaiden
4. Monsho no Nazo (Mystery of the Emblem)

...with #4 being two games in one (a condensed remake of #2 and its sequel), Shadow Dragon being a full remake of #2, and Shin Monsho no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyu (New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow) being a remake of #4 (the sequel side) with unlockable #1 as bonus content, with no re-release of #3 at all. Whew.
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#6Omnipotent_CowPosted 8/1/2014 12:25:55 PM
New Mystery does not contain Book 1, but it does have BS Fire Emblem, which is a prequel to Shadow Dragon, so yeah.
#7RDS1Posted 8/1/2014 2:46:10 PM(edited)
If you want to get really technical, the Jugdral games (FE4 (Seisen no Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War) and FE5 (Thracia 776)) are stated to have taken place in the distant past of the Archanea continuity, meaning the two of them chronologically take place before Shadow Dragon.

In short, the idea of playing through the series "chronologically" is kind of a joke.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#8quittaboi78Posted 8/1/2014 2:57:45 PM
RDS1 posted...
If you want to get really technical, the Jugdral games (FE4 (Seisen no Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War) and FE5 (Thracia 776)) are stated to have taken place in the distant past of the Archanea continuity

Really? I didn't catch that. I know some people have claimed that Ike's games take place long before Marth's, but I understood that it was just an implication rather than something confirmed... But yeah, if TC wants to play the games "chronologically", probably the safest way to do that would just play them in the order they were originally released in if possible (except BS Fire Emblem and GBA Fire Emblem, which are both definitely take place outside relase date order).
---
Whoever started using the word "canon" in this context, anyway?
I hear it all the time now, and I'd like to slap him. - Green Gibbon!
#9666Kefka666(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 5:17:47 AM
Sry, i meant chronologically as of "date of release". If there is a remake i`d play this of cause. I started with Shadow Dragon, well because it is the first one (at least a remake of the first one) and because it`s the most basic and rudimentary experience. I don`t want to start with the more refined titles like the NGC/Wii games or even Awakening, because i fear i couldn`t enjoy the older titles then. Still i donīt know if i should play the second one on the NES or rather skip it because it is only a side story and continue with the SNES titles, which i read are really good.
#10shadow chao 10Posted 8/2/2014 9:49:58 AM
New Mystery isn't a side story, it's literally a sequel to Shadow Dragon. I don't much like either of them, but New Mystery is certainly better than SD, so you may as well keep going if you didn't mind SD.

The original NES FE3 contained a remake of FE1 with it, but New Mystery doesn't. It's just a remake of FE3 book 2 (with BS FE included as an optional sideline).
---
~Space for rent~