New to the series...

#1Greg_thestrangePosted 8/1/2014 3:32:19 PM
And looking to get better. I kept a tally of how many times I had units die while playing. I'm playing on casual since it's my first time and really my first tactical rpg... unless you count the two hours of final fantasy tactics on the GBA when it came out that my buddy let me try it out. I've lost twice as many units as total units that I have. Which tells me I'm awful at this game. Granted, nearly a 3rd of them are Lissa and Mirabell. Regardless... I'm TERRIBLE at this game.

I know that swords beat axes, axes beat spears, and spears beat swords. I know that wind magic and bowman are the bane of a winged beast's existence. Hammers decimate armor and magic practically ignores it but I just KEEP losing units!

Any suggestions from you Tacticians and Grandmasters out there?
---
3ds friend code: 4656-6897-2218
PSN: Gengyo
#2Blademaster_AioPosted 8/1/2014 3:37:43 PM
Press X to see danger zones. This is the basic rule of everything. Or press a unit to see their danger zone.

Don't rush forward.

Firstly, use Kellam to bait the enemy. He's your armor knight, and has high defense. Bait one unit at a time. Manage your kills. Your squishies should never be put in the danger zone.

Use pair up.
---
Believe God is one, and believe in the hereafter.
#3Blademaster_AioPosted 8/1/2014 3:39:50 PM
Though, what exactly are you having problems with?
---
#4Blademaster_AioPosted 8/1/2014 3:42:14 PM
The only thing I can think of is that your positioning is bad.
---
#5Flame552Posted 8/1/2014 3:46:21 PM(edited)
First off, what level are you playing? Normal or Hard? ...Possibly Lunatic?

General words of advice:
1) Pair Up Bonuses are your friend.

2) But don't get obsessed with them. While a character gets buffed, you're effectively loosing a unit on the field.

3) Make use of the map function. Figure out where the attacks will be coming from and possible places to bottleneck the enemy force. Case in point, make use of Kellam's Defense when needing to bottleneck against a whole lot of physical units, etc.

4) Keep your Healer out of harms way, but close enough to keep your units going.

5) +5 more speed than the enemy unit gets you a double hit.

6) Don't try to take out the whole force at once. In most cases the enemies will attack in groups or have to be provoked first, so take advantage of that by compartmentalizing the enemy groups.

7) Don't ignore beneficial terrain such as forts, but also forests, stairs, and other such places.

8) Don't ignore forts, period. If they're on the map, chances are your going to have to deal with reinforcements coming out of them. They're a source of EXP, but if you don't want to deal with them, they show up based off turn number, so you can plant yourself there to stop them from appearing.
#6Greg_thestrange(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 6:11:32 PM
Flame552 posted...
First off, what level are you playing? Normal or Hard? ...Possibly Lunatic?

General words of advice:
1) Pair Up Bonuses are your friend.

2) But don't get obsessed with them. While a character gets buffed, you're effectively loosing a unit on the field.

3) Make use of the map function. Figure out where the attacks will be coming from and possible places to bottleneck the enemy force. Case in point, make use of Kellam's Defense when needing to bottleneck against a whole lot of physical units, etc.

4) Keep your Healer out of harms way, but close enough to keep your units going.

5) +5 more speed than the enemy unit gets you a double hit.

6) Don't try to take out the whole force at once. In most cases the enemies will attack in groups or have to be provoked first, so take advantage of that by compartmentalizing the enemy groups.

7) Don't ignore beneficial terrain such as forts, but also forests, stairs, and other such places.

8) Don't ignore forts, period. If they're on the map, chances are your going to have to deal with reinforcements coming out of them. They're a source of EXP, but if you don't want to deal with them, they show up based off turn number, so you can plant yourself there to stop them from appearing.

According to what I read from everyone, I need to work more on using Kallem (who I never used but the one fight. I've always valued mobility to a large extent... I like fast characters who can dish out the pain). I need to pay more attention to character placement, and keeping my healers in a safe place. I also need to cover and use the stairs/forts more often. Perhaps I'll go look up some tactical RPG tutorials and see if I can't glean some ideas.

I had made an earlier post... but it apparently didn't go through.

Thank you for all the advice. :)
---
3ds friend code: 4656-6897-2218
PSN: Gengyo
#7RDS1Posted 8/1/2014 6:15:27 PM
Kellam's low mobility is less of an issue in this game than it would be in others, since you can have a high-mobility unit ferry him around with Pair-Up.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#8sabata2Posted 8/2/2014 2:43:05 PM
Also, don't rely on Frederick. (Surprised this wasn't said yet)

He's what is known as "The Jeigan". A really strong unit at the start of the game, but becomes worse and worse as the game progresses.

In early game Chrom or MU will get 30 EXP for a successfull kill. I believe Fred gets 8.
That's a loss of 22 potential EXP, used on a unit that doesn't need it.

If he's on the field, or you want to use him before around chapter 6~7 (where his stats start leveling off with your other units), have him support another physical unit.
Even though his stats level off around 6~7 his EXP won't level off until around 16~17. So if you want to use him you *need* to use a Second Seal on him ASAP. But that carries with it a heavy cost.
---
There's hentai for everything. If you haven't found it, look harder. - Icadwallader
If it weren't for my PSP, I wouldn't be sane right now.
#9Private_NoobPosted 8/2/2014 9:21:59 PM
Get FE 9 or 10 after you sell this game.
---
Oh no! Private_Noob posted!
I'm the noobiest noob you'll ever see!
#10RDS1Posted 8/2/2014 10:11:22 PM
sabata2 posted...
Also, don't rely on Frederick. (Surprised this wasn't said yet)

He's what is known as "The Jeigan". A really strong unit at the start of the game, but becomes worse and worse as the game progresses.

That's... not quite the reason you shouldn't rely on Frederick. Especially in this game, where grinding is an option and every character has potentially unlimited levels in which to grow to their caps.

No, the reason to not rely on Frederick isn't because he becomes worse as the game progresses. It's because he gains less EXP than anyone else in your army for performing the same actions, thus slowing the overall growth of your army because less EXP is being gained in the same amount of time.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)