Kotaku needs a chill pill!

#11Emmy19Posted 12/20/2012 7:08:59 AM
"As far as Tales of Xillia's localization, I'm more of the opinion that it was coincidental how it more or less came soon after Xillia 2's announcement, but it being a coincidence is just an opinion, I'll admit. I think that Xillia's localization had more to do with Graces F; I had heard that Graces wasn't by any means a stellar sell, but managed to do well enough that Bamco was willing to give the next entry a localization. That, and Abyss 3DS apparently sold pretty decently on 3DS, so the localization arm of Bamco have some "confidence" in the Tales franchise now.

If it were the case that in fact NA/EU localizations are now following Japanese sequels because of something like "testing" or "risk aversion," that would be an absurd pattern for the future of JRPGs. Also, a year is way too long. Yakuza fans waited a little under half a year for announcement of Yakuza 4 localization, if I recall. Understand that this is not meant to be hostile to you, though."

No worries, I'm not offended. :)

My point about the Tales of Xillia localisation was that sequel being announced =/= NO ORIGINAL GAME RELEASE FOR US! The fact that they're planning a sequel just tells that they're planning a sequel.

IDK. I admit it is possible that they won't release this game outside Japan (although I really hope they will!). And I admit that it's probably not one of their top priority games to release Westside, but I still think that two months is a little early to say that we're not having Bravely Default yet.
#12philphtherPosted 12/21/2012 7:55:47 AM
who knows.. it would probably take a while with the voice acting and all.. there is kind of a good amount in this game. maybe we could see an english adaptation in a year or two, like how it was with four heroes of light. that game was fantastic...
#13EliParkerPosted 12/24/2012 9:03:25 AM
As a fan of Square Enix and Sega, it's wrong that fans have to wait a year plus to know if the game is even coming out to NA. I'm still waiting for Type-0 for over a year, and this game since it was announced, and Square Enix should know by know that they have fans worldwide and there games sell well worldwide.

On the other hand for Sega I'm a fan of the Yakuza games and Sega just flat out refuses to release some of their games in NA. So what I'm trying to get at is game companies should look at their fans worldwide, if they think a game won't sell well in NA/EU release the game with Japanese voiceover and english text and digitally only in NA/EU in order to cut down on the cut.
#14MagiusNecrosPosted 12/24/2012 9:33:47 AM
JAPAN ONRY

Square is becoming Hoarder Era Namco
---
Support Operation Suzaku: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Localize_Final_Fantasy_Type0_for_the_West/
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#15Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/24/2012 3:14:12 PM
MagiusNecros posted...
JAPAN ONRY

Square is becoming Hoarder Era Namco

:( Why do they hate my money?
#16IcedEarthaholicPosted 12/25/2012 7:15:26 PM
I dare say, it's refreshing to see someone be so brutally honest about SE, I love their games do not get me wrong, and they've done a great job of making sure most of their games come over. But I feel for those whom wanted Type-0, and I'm baffled as to why this game has not been announced for North American and European release yet. They've become kinda like Nintendo in a way, don't pay attention to what the fans want and just kinda blow them off knowing they'll still buy their ****. It's ridiculous, it has to stop, and both companies need to step up to the plate and give us what we want for a change.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#17Kumori_no_YoruPosted 12/26/2012 9:50:16 AM(edited)
The thing I see BD and Type-0 have in common is a boatload of voice overs, particularly for handheld titles. Though the latter's problem is that it's on PSP and at this point no one's going to seriously put out PSP games, despite the fact that Square apparently "never knew" the fans wanted Type-0, last I saw from a post on Twitter.

As for BD, a small concern I see is that it went the Odin Sphere approach in some scenes by using bubbles for those scenes, meaning resizing the bubbles is gonna have to be in order to match English text -- I could imagine them going the approach for Odin Sphere's PAL release and possibly dropping the bubbles for a possible European release to avoid having to fit text in due to translating into other languages.

I'd say BD will get a localized release, but it'll probably take awhile since Square's never really been known for localizing their handheld releases swiftly compared to console titles. I think Duodecim's been the sole exception to that so far.

(Though, not sure if one could count The 3rd Birthday, they obviously held up on its localized release to do that cross-game promotion with Duodecim.)
---
PSN: Neophoton (I pop up whenever, so I'll add you back whenever I do get on)
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#18MrFwibblesPosted 12/26/2012 9:58:34 AM
nenotoki_kumori posted...
As for BD, a small concern I see is that it went the Odin Sphere approach in some scenes by using bubbles for those scenes, meaning resizing the bubbles is gonna have to be in order to match English text -- I could imagine them going the approach for Odin Sphere's PAL release and possibly dropping the bubbles for a possible European release to avoid having to fit text in due to translating into other languages.

This excuse is unacceptable. Final Fantasy IX used speech bubbles throughout, and was released worldwide.
---
DLC, online passes and the rise of casual budget gaming have ruined the video game industry.
#19Kumori_no_YoruPosted 12/26/2012 10:49:30 AM
nenotoki_kumori posted...

This excuse is unacceptable. Final Fantasy IX used speech bubbles throughout, and was released worldwide.

That's true, I just could imagine them using it as an excuse to get lazy on it. I personally wouldn't want them to go the Odin Sphere PAL approach because removing the text bubbles does make some scenes feel really static.
---
PSN: Neophoton (I pop up whenever, so I'll add you back whenever I do get on)
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#20Emmy19Posted 12/26/2012 11:26:59 AM
I did hear a rumour that FF Type-0 was close to completion last year but didn't get released in the end because of declined PSP sales in the West. IDK if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I've also heard that piracy might have something to do with it. Then again, IDK.

I still think that doing things like signing petitions, going onto Square Enix message boards, messaging them a lot and just constantly talking about the product will increase the chance of them deciding to release it in the West. They have, after all, got to think that the money they'll get from BD sales will be worth the costs of the translations, localisations advertising, etc (well, I hear that had a lot to do with Ace Attorney Investigations 2 not being released in the West - they didn't think the money made from it would balance the costs of promoting it. I can't quite remember exactly).