A bit of funding?

#1AlphabetManPosted 1/19/2013 12:52:36 AM
Is this game in danger of not getting ported?

Seriously, SE is blowing money on stupid iOS and android games. Of all their offerings, only dimensions was decent. It's all about generating sales for them, though. Hey if that means that they'll keep pouring dollars into crappy ios games instead of _possibly_ funding the translation one of the best RPGs in the last half a decade?
---
Gamertag: Hemn
PSN: Rothgard
#2Kumori_no_YoruPosted 1/19/2013 7:16:22 AM
I think you mean "localizing". BDFF does not need to be ported.

And I somewhat see the iOS games as them trying to make a quick buck since -- let's get real -- AtB looks like it could have been made on some intern's coffee break with a few others. There probably wasn't much money involved to making it for, so at best I just see it as them getting money for little effort.

The issue is Square Enix evidently doesn't have much confidence in this game to not have decided yet, likely since RPGs in North America have hella hard time selling unless if they advertise the hell out of this game and get it to sell decently (I'm pretty certain Xenoblade sold fairly well for not being Pokemon or Final Fantasy, and that got lucky with getting tons of coverage on sites like Kotaku).

I'd even go as far as to suggest renaming the subtitle as "Final Fantasy," just to get it to help sell. The subtitle's a spoiler anyway.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#3Emerald_MeliosPosted 1/20/2013 6:01:17 PM
It's a shame RPGs aren't appreciated anymore. :(
#4Kumori_no_YoruPosted 1/20/2013 7:56:24 PM
Sadly so. Doesn't help that with development cycles getting longer, RPGs suffer from either having really nice graphics yet being linear as hell or presenting average graphics and still offering what JRPGs typically offer from the past few gens (ie, some branching out, exploration, avoiding the issues FFXIII and ToX suffered). At least, that's what I've come to notice with JRPGs lately so I'm completely fine with the latter.

Somewhat unrelated, but it's in regards to the advertising bit where Namco Bandai confessed they felt Tales of Graces f would have sold better if they did a better job advertising the game for its overseas release. This surprised me that they at least admitted to being at fault for that and mentioned they wanted to do a better job with Tales of Xillia.

Honestly, I feel if sites like Kotaku keep mentioning Bravely Default, it'd definitely generate interest with people. Square Enix themselves should give it a lot of backing considering I'm sure they make a pretty penny or twenty off of those iOS games to help fund the real games.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#5DahlVaughnniPosted 1/29/2013 6:41:51 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
It's a shame RPGs aren't appreciated anymore. :(

But Collo Doodee is da best game in da world!!1!!1
---
Gamertag: Archlvt (I no longer have XBL Gold)
3DS FC: 4296 3610 2207