Square Enix's response to IGN's request to bring BDFF to the West for the 3DS.

#21Lacrymosa143Posted 1/24/2013 6:22:07 AM
My brain farts whenever i read something about masculinity or judging the quality of something by how much it sells.
#22squarepoxPosted 1/24/2013 1:13:32 PM
:) Sorry about the masculinity thing y'all. But that's me.. I feel there are many things the series has lost over the years; and while it not be my Y chromosome that yearns for something more gritty/down to earth, less juvenile/feminized/Jpoppy than FF XIII, the yearning is still there.

As for Bravery Default, I expect great things from it. Four Heroes of Light was a delicious nostalgia quenching, artistic experience, for me. That's the type of experience I wish for.
---
Modern Country Music makes more sense when high on Nitros Oxide.
#23squarepoxPosted 1/24/2013 1:15:52 PM
RazLord posted...
If you're worried about your masculinity, you may want to avoid Bravely Default then. It was made with the intent of appealing to 20+ year old women so yeah, your precious masculinity is in danger. :V

:) heh.
---
Modern Country Music makes more sense when high on Nitros Oxide.
#24deimos91Posted 1/24/2013 3:27:56 PM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
Aryllies already commented on BDFF's status on the first page -- Likely any potential announcement will be within the next 2 - 3 weeks. Bonus points that Iwata said there'll be a Nintendo Direct for 3DS pretty soon after the Wii U stream ended this morning.

FFXIII was average at best for me, never played XIII-2 though. Square Enix is definitely still capable of making good games, proof being Type-0 and BDFF so I wouldn't say they're a lost cause. They just make really bad decisions and wound up getting an egg on their face in the long run.

Wrinkled my nose "masculinity," though. It's understandable to dislike a game, but what would one's masculinity/femininity have to do with playing games? Just stick to what you enjoy is the most I can say.

13-2 is much better much much it fixes so many issues the only drawback is the new enemies are not that many but otherwise it is much better the plot is decent standard FF fair
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#25Lacrymosa143Posted 1/24/2013 4:47:24 PM
deimos91 posted...
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
Aryllies already commented on BDFF's status on the first page -- Likely any potential announcement will be within the next 2 - 3 weeks. Bonus points that Iwata said there'll be a Nintendo Direct for 3DS pretty soon after the Wii U stream ended this morning.

FFXIII was average at best for me, never played XIII-2 though. Square Enix is definitely still capable of making good games, proof being Type-0 and BDFF so I wouldn't say they're a lost cause. They just make really bad decisions and wound up getting an egg on their face in the long run.

Wrinkled my nose "masculinity," though. It's understandable to dislike a game, but what would one's masculinity/femininity have to do with playing games? Just stick to what you enjoy is the most I can say.

13-2 is much better much much it fixes so many issues the only drawback is the new enemies are not that many but otherwise it is much better the plot is decent standard FF fair

The main thing i don't like is the story, new cystarium, and the 2 playable characters. It kinda sorta pulled a metal gear solid 2, by advertising it like Lightning was the main character, with the whole "Is Lightning happy?" and having her on the cover and starting you off by playing as her in the beginning.
#26ArylliesPosted 1/24/2013 7:35:01 PM
Let's be honest here.
It was a shameful rehash. The enemy palette was pathetic and no, I don't like having to pay 6000 Yen to play something that is already 50% familiar.

The art direction was uninspired. At least with FFXIII, they had to start from scratch. I highly value the creative process that is required when starting a game from scratch.

They've gone the way of not caring about quality of CONTENT. A good example is when you see the way their R&D department is run when it comes to graphical engines. Don't get me wrong, the Luminous engine is absolutely stunning, however the consensus among video game graphic designers/artists is that it will once again be a nightmare to program with.

At least that is the consensus among Tokyo-based developers, as that the only circle I'm privy to. They don't focus on making it easy and efficient to use their engine, which would let team more time and resources allocated for the content/gameplay.

ANd then you look at FFXIII-2, which reused the same engine, which was going to potentially leave the team with a way to improve the gameplay and quality of the content. Look what they did, they listened to the users feedback regarding the original opus (Which was mixed in Japan, quite negative overseas) and didn't dedicate more that 1 month for the creative process of the story/development/gameplay changes.

That's why I hate the game, it could have been a GREAT game had they shown more interest in what was going to go in.

Guys like Yasumi Matsuno (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics) or even Tetsuya Takahashi (FF5/FF6/Chrono Trigger/Xenoblade) would never have accepted such shoddy work and guess what, that's why they left Squaresoft to create their own production teams or joined Level 5, which is for me the pinnacle of modern video game development.

They would have said "NO WAY" To any pressuring regarding time schedule and marketing needs because they wanted to make a great game. the only thing that could stop them would be when the funds are dry/stopped. (And it did happen for Xenogears, look at CD 2, it is STILL a storytelling masterpiece)

Anyway enough ranting, you got my point I hope. I am angry about wasted potential, not about "okay games."
Go the Atlus, Level 5 and Capcom way. At least they still say NO to the top brass with the argument that the game is not ready yet.

(Go and play Ni no Kuni, a masterpiece.)
#27deimos91Posted 1/24/2013 10:20:41 PM
Aryllies posted...
Let's be honest here.
It was a shameful rehash. The enemy palette was pathetic and no, I don't like having to pay 6000 Yen to play something that is already 50% familiar.

The art direction was uninspired. At least with FFXIII, they had to start from scratch. I highly value the creative process that is required when starting a game from scratch.

They've gone the way of not caring about quality of CONTENT. A good example is when you see the way their R&D department is run when it comes to graphical engines. Don't get me wrong, the Luminous engine is absolutely stunning, however the consensus among video game graphic designers/artists is that it will once again be a nightmare to program with.

At least that is the consensus among Tokyo-based developers, as that the only circle I'm privy to. They don't focus on making it easy and efficient to use their engine, which would let team more time and resources allocated for the content/gameplay.

ANd then you look at FFXIII-2, which reused the same engine, which was going to potentially leave the team with a way to improve the gameplay and quality of the content. Look what they did, they listened to the users feedback regarding the original opus (Which was mixed in Japan, quite negative overseas) and didn't dedicate more that 1 month for the creative process of the story/development/gameplay changes.

That's why I hate the game, it could have been a GREAT game had they shown more interest in what was going to go in.

Guys like Yasumi Matsuno (Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics) or even Tetsuya Takahashi (FF5/FF6/Chrono Trigger/Xenoblade) would never have accepted such shoddy work and guess what, that's why they left Squaresoft to create their own production teams or joined Level 5, which is for me the pinnacle of modern video game development.

They would have said "NO WAY" To any pressuring regarding time schedule and marketing needs because they wanted to make a great game. the only thing that could stop them would be when the funds are dry/stopped. (And it did happen for Xenogears, look at CD 2, it is STILL a storytelling masterpiece)

Anyway enough ranting, you got my point I hope. I am angry about wasted potential, not about "okay games."
Go the Atlus, Level 5 and Capcom way. At least they still say NO to the top brass with the argument that the game is not ready yet.

i wouldnt say that it is no more a rehash then 10-2 and it is much better quality wise than 13 and has much more to do
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#28Kumori_no_YoruPosted 1/24/2013 11:01:40 PM
Doesn't stop the fact that XIII-2's a DLC-fest. I'd just hope for people who are interested in LR that they don't get as DLC-happy.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
#29RazLordPosted 1/24/2013 11:03:06 PM
Aryllies posted...

Personally, I feel Level-5 is overrated. Their Inazuma games were very boring, at least going by the one I played. WKC is well, boring from what I've been told. Little Battlers, gameplay was alright but nothing special. Layton is eh as well. Also, Matsuno left Level-5 not too long ago. The only thing that he worked on was Guild-01 it seems.

Anyways, I do hope Square's execs come to a decision soon and hopefully people at sites like IGN and Kotaku continue to bug Square about it so that they know there is demand. The situation with Type-0 is proof enough that people need to be insistent on such titles so they can make it over outside of Japan.
#30Lacrymosa143Posted 1/24/2013 11:47:28 PM
Why do people complain about not "having something else to do" when they buy the game for story and to kill monsters? Do they really want anotger blitzball, cardgame, or lughtning dodging? FFXII had the right idea, mark hunting And it got a lot of hate until FFXIII came along, with more mark hunting.