The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

How's the magic in this game?

#1Xavier_On_HighPosted 2/4/2013 6:25:12 PM
So, I'm a big fan of 4 Heroes of Light. In particular, I liked how the magic in that game was actually useful, even stuff like Poison and Drain. Also, I liked how exploiting elemental weaknesses was a big part of combat.

So, what's it like in Bravely Default? Is the basic magic powerful? Are the technical spells like Poison and Blind useful at all?
---
"It was like unwrapping a wonderful present -- a present made out of presents." - Graham Linehan, describing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#2180TRENTPosted 2/4/2013 9:33:33 PM
I have found the magic to be quite useful. Though, once you unlock more jobs and get access to abilities that let magic pass through magic resistance and increase its overall damage you'll find that the higher level spells become cost inefficient. That being said, with the right set up you can easily deal 5k damage in the late game with the second level spells (9,999 being max). Hitting weaknesses is also a big part of combat as the damage bonus is significant and to that end there is a job that lets you put black magic on your weapon.

As for your question about debuffs, outside of enemies that can't be hit with them, most enemies and even some bosses can be hit with debuffs. There is even a class that specializes in debuffing enemies to deal lots of damage.
#3Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/4/2013 9:41:54 PM
Dark Knight class has no trouble hitting for 9999 easily, I found myself not using mages by end game, to be honest.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Persona 4 Golden, Kid Icarus: Uprising
#4Lacrymosa143Posted 2/4/2013 10:51:00 PM
damnit, i thought there was no damage limit in this game. WTF is it with "traditional" final fantasy like games and easy to reach damage caps?
#5Xavier_On_High(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 5:23:20 AM
180TRENT posted...
Hitting weaknesses is also a big part of combat as the damage bonus is significant and to that end there is a job that lets you put black magic on your weapon.

As for your question about debuffs, outside of enemies that can't be hit with them, most enemies and even some bosses can be hit with debuffs. There is even a class that specializes in debuffing enemies to deal lots of damage.

Sounds great. Particularly the part about debuffs.

Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
Dark Knight class has no trouble hitting for 9999 easily, I found myself not using mages by end game, to be honest.

Meh. I tend to go for "workable but interesting" over "efficient but dull."
---
"It was like unwrapping a wonderful present -- a present made out of presents." - Graham Linehan, describing the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
#6Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/5/2013 7:47:19 AM
Meh. I tend to go for "workable but interesting" over "efficient but dull."

Oh, don't get me wrong, I kept my party varied even if it meant I was doing less damage in the end since I'm not a fan of clone parties. I just realized most of the mage-based classes wound up not being as efficient in damage as some of the physical-based classes. Not to say they're useless, each class typically has something that makes them worth leveling up. I remember leveling up the Chemist class and disregarding the Pain Paralysis ability it had on max level.

I'll at least say: Be sure to level someone as a Superstar and just Abilink its abilities. Buffs stack, so once you take that into account, Superstar is easily one of the best classes in the game.
---
#7Lacrymosa143Posted 2/5/2013 10:33:16 AM
Do you make the girls the support and magic classes?
#8Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/5/2013 11:28:31 AM
Do you make the girls the support and magic classes?

Who's that directed at?
---
#9_Bad_Player_Posted 2/6/2013 11:48:54 AM
Wait, you can abilink your own party members? :o
#10Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/6/2013 1:51:16 PM
Abilink is when you can set a class to each party member and allow them to take on those abilities. Think of it like a sub-class of sorts.

ie, I liked Abilinking Summoner to White Mage (WM on "sub") as Summoner had an MP regen ability which was great for spamming healing on top of still dishing out damage with summon magic.

Superstar's one of those classes I suggest have on sub since I remember it wasn't anything special, stat-wise; it was just the amazing set of abilities it had.
---
Currently playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sly 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening
More topics from this board...
The AdventurerRingabelDim29/12 5:08PM