GameInformer says BDFF WILL come to the US.

#1Wendys_KitsukePosted 2/17/2013 7:01:18 PM
Well it looks like SE finally listened to us fans.
According the March Issue of GameInformer mag. Bravely Default Fling Fairy will be released in the US. Release date is still TBA.
---
STYLE SAVVY KITSUKE THE ART OF DRESSING SHOP CODE L19T69T72
#2Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/17/2013 7:02:59 PM
Pretty certain that article only had them hoping it'd come.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sly 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#3Wendys_Kitsuke(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 7:15:28 PM
I'm excited now. This is one of the games I want so bad. The other is Fab Style.
SE better listen, or I'll NEVER buy another game made by them.
---
STYLE SAVVY KITSUKE THE ART OF DRESSING SHOP CODE L19T69T72
#4RazLordPosted 2/17/2013 7:25:49 PM
From what little I could read in a scan I saw, they were hoping for a US release yeah.

Should be mentioned that a number of gaming magazines can report on Japanese titles that may not be confirmed for localization. GI clearly appears to be one of them and I know of Spanish magazines that do the same, so yeah.
#5Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/17/2013 7:27:49 PM
I'd just see the article as an opportunity for more people to become aware of the game's existence. It's a fantastic game and deserves more love.

Shame it's pretty misleading. I just tell people to go nag Square Enix on their Twitter account and spread the word around.
---
#6MagiusNecrosPosted 2/17/2013 8:06:07 PM
Just being hopeful is what the article implied. Square hides in it's tombstone with all their good idea's.
---
I have always hoped for a BERSERK Final Fantasy Game to be made realized.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#7cheeseyrox2Posted 2/17/2013 11:38:56 PM
The article I read said that they're hoping a US release is in the cards. That's literally it.
---
If I were stuck on an island with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Modern Warfare 2, I would play Super Mario Galaxy 2 first. People who agree: 240
#8Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/18/2013 8:01:00 AM
I feel like the sad thing is a release makes sense - the 3DS has really picked up speed in the last year, and it's at that sweet spot where people are starting to buy the system but the number of AAA games is just right without too much competition - especially in RPGs. They clearly have a fan base.

If localization costs are too much then they could always reduce the number of voiced scenes (better than nothing at all). If they're worried about accessibility/appeal of a new IP they could always re-title to Bravely Default: Final Fantasy or something.

As much as it pissed me off, I could understand why they delayed/decided not to release Type-0 given the psp market in NTSC. BDFF just doesn't make sense though.
#9Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/18/2013 9:00:00 AM(edited)
If it counts for anything, Square typically takes a bit longer to announce non-Final Fantasy games, even if Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a gaiden game in the franchise. I remember the trash known as The 3rd Birthday wasn't even announced for a localization until about 2 - 3 months before its actual release.

Keep in mind T3B was out in Japan around December 2010, long before Duodecim was even out. It wound up overseas with a near-simultaneous overseas release with Duodecim in March 2011 -- that was also Duodecim's Japanese release. Duodecim ultimately was in the translation process (a voice actor slipped up in a comment on it around May 2010) long before T3B was even considered for an overseas release.

Don't forget Square's been wanting to cut down on "waiting" time for games as well in the sense that they've come to realize their hiccup with (notoriously) announcing a game 4 years too early (FFXIII -- 6+ in Versus XIII's case). That is to say, they'd probably rather pretend a game doesn't exist until it's closer to a release date so people don't miraculously forget it even exists.

I'd say they'll announce it at E3 in hopes people don't forget about it. That, and there's a ton of voice overs in the game on top of likely dealing with a certain scenario of the game that has unfortunate implications (Flowell segment, everyone...), amongst translations and what not.

Maybe I'm stretching it a bit, but I'd say just remind Square that there's a desire for the game overseas -- and maybe they're already looking into localizing it as of now, but a late 2013 release seems plausible to me. I want to say that Australian magazine that commented on a late 2013 release might be true, but the person who mentioned it never provided scans, so it can easily be dismissed.

...Typed more than what I intended, but in short:

Remind Square we want this game, but also consider the fact that they may be waiting to announce it much later due to wanting to make sure people remember it by the time of its release. After all, it'd be going up against Pokemon X/Y in terms of RPGs.

Edit:

While a non-RPG example, I remember Sega intentionally delayed the overseas release of Bayonetta to help it avoid competing with more popular titles (I do believe Modern Warfare 2 was out around that time, I don't keep track of those CoD-type games so you'll have to forgive me on title slips). Square might very well be attempting a similar maneuver.

Edit 2:

If localization costs are too much then they could always reduce the number of voiced scenes (better than nothing at all). If they're worried about accessibility/appeal of a new IP they could always re-title to Bravely Default: Final Fantasy or something.

The subtitle's a spoiler anyway... So they're somewhat better off dropping it from the title and just keeping it as "Bravely Default".
---
#10cheeseyrox2Posted 2/18/2013 4:59:12 PM(edited)
Well, I actually know about the spoiler (I was curious, sorry!) in the title. I think it's something that makes the title incredibly clever because it's a code; it's not blatantly spoiling anything.

And how bad is the Flowell segment anyway? I've played a ton of RPGs that have been localized that have risqué moments. FF7 had quite a bit of that in that playboy mansion, for example.
---
If I were stuck on an island with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Modern Warfare 2, I would play Super Mario Galaxy 2 first. People who agree: 240