I hope the sequel we'll never play has older characters

#1MagiusNecrosPosted 2/20/2013 1:53:40 PM
Just because.
---
I have always hoped for a BERSERK Final Fantasy Game to be made realized.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#2Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/20/2013 2:09:38 PM(edited)
Hmm, personally I was okay with the age of the characters. I feel age is typically irrelevant for most characters -- you've Vivi from FFIX who is only 9 years old (bonus points he's actually only 6 months old during the events of the game) being one of Square's best developed characters and then there's Lightning in FFXIII who is 21 and yet just makes lame one-liners.

...I'd be able to play the sequel though -- And I'm more than eager to see what else they'll bring to the table. I actually find myself feeling more satisfied owning a Japanese 3DS over a NA one at this point. Somewhat, anyway -- Import prices can be a killer. :V

inb4FFXIIIdefensesquadcomesin
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sly 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#3MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 2:35:17 PM(edited)
Technically Vivi ages really fast. And this game is one out of few that isn't total trash
---
#4RazLordPosted 2/20/2013 3:02:01 PM
Vivi doesn't age quickly nor was that ever said in IX. Rather, he just has a limited lifespan that's longer than the average black mage thanks to being a prototype.

Have to agree with age not mattering much. Let me take the game Odin Sphere by Vanillaware as an example. One of the characters at the beginning of their story very much has the personality of a privileged princess and has yet to learn to stand on her own. Yet, through the course of that character's story, she grows and develops into someone who is able to take charge and be a good leader. It should be said that she is rather young and again, still develops into a very good character.

So yeah, with some of the games I've played, I've just learned to not take age into account and base things off their growth or lack of it, etc.
#5Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/20/2013 9:07:56 PM
I feel like you had hope for this until a few days ago so negative Magius :(
#6MagiusNecros(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 4:55:24 AM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
I feel like you had hope for this until a few days ago so negative Magius :(

Square Enix just keeps pissing me off.
---
#7IcedEarthaholicPosted 2/21/2013 5:53:49 AM
I would rather play as a character in their mid-20's to early 30's. FF9 sucked.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#8Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/21/2013 7:42:31 AM
IcedEarthaholic posted...

Sacrilege.
#9RazLordPosted 2/21/2013 11:12:20 AM
IcedEarthaholic posted...

Older doesn't necessarily mean better. A character in their mid 20s to 30s can still be as immature/stupid/take your pick as a younger character.

Never played XIII but from what I've been told by friends who have, Snow Villiers is an idiot. He's also an older character to boot.

Also, if you're saying FFIX sucks because of the young cast, then you're well, bluntly put, ignorant. Steiner is an adult character and while he's blinded by unquestioning loyalty to an almost comedic effect, that changes as the game goes on. His loyalty isn't a bad thing at all, since it shows that he truly does care for Garnet and wishes to keep her safe. Once again, he's just misguided by blind loyalty to Queen Brahne.

Beatrix, while not fully playable, is another example of this. She's the Queen's right hand and the one who gets things done. Yet, even she's sided with the party by the end.

Amarant, Freya and possibly even Quina are also adult party members. That just leaves Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Eiko as the young party members. So yes, if you're saying IX sucks because of the cast, I think you need to give it an actual chance.
#10Kumori_no_YoruPosted 2/21/2013 11:26:26 AM
I'll just stand by my statement that older characters can be just as bad as young characters and vise versa. It's ultimately up to how they're handled in the writing that makes them likeable or not.
---
PSN: Neophoton
Currently playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sly 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening