"Not a Final Fantasy product!"

#21Kumori_no_Yoru(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 5:34:58 PM
My two cents comes down to Final Fantasy being able to hold up for a few reasons:

- The huge waiting gap for each new installment after FFXI. I'm aware they had their issues, but unless if you're huge on video game development and/or just a huge fan of a particular franchise (I'm pretty certain everyone here can fall into both categories), you'll find a lot of people either don't know about what happens behind the scenes or very much don't care. The wait for XII, XIII, and even Versus itself aren't doing the franchise any favors seeing as how 4+ years for a lot of people is enough to stop giving a crap.

- Dying prevalence of JRPGs overseas. Though I'd argue that isn't Final Fantasy's fault. It's mostly due to the fascination with FPSes and similar genres (not that I dislike those genres -- I'm an absolute sucker for Naughty Dog's games and the sort) that became prevalent after the PS2's heydays. I'd also argue that the genre became over-saturated that people simply got sick of JRPGs.

(Though, I feel the otaku-pandering nature is what makes it hard for them to sell overseas anymore.)

- I'd say FFXIII getting so much buzz about being underwhelming definitely did inflict some "damage," if one wants to call it that. I wouldn't say a single installment can necessarily kill a franchise.

Personally, while I feel XIV caused more of a train wreck, it has the benefit of the XIV-2 re-launch and being improved through updates -- That's something XIII didn't have and instead had to rely on sequels, which isn't necessarily the same thing.

I guess in short summary, I'm kind of in-between on things. I won't declare the series as finished, just at a low point that it could very well dig itself out of if given the proper attention. I'd say Square could stand to let other staff members take a shot at the series for the sake of a stronger creative image.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: Infinite Space, Dust: An Elysian Tail
#22alcahest_gPosted 5/27/2013 4:58:19 PM
I always understood the "Flying Fairy" subtitle (aka "F.F.") as a clear hint this was a spin-off of the Final Fantasy franchise. Also, if I recall correctly, production-wise, this game is regarded as a sequel to "Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light", so such statement is indeed confusing...
After all, Ridley Scott said the same when "Prometheus" was released: "Not an Alien prequel!". This is just fans-teasing, I reckon: once the game will be out, I'm sure Nintendo will push for the "FF" advertisement (eg. "the new RPG by the makers of "Final Fantasy").
#23MagiusNecrosPosted 5/27/2013 5:18:58 PM
alcahest_g posted...
I always understood the "Flying Fairy" subtitle (aka "F.F.") as a clear hint this was a spin-off of the Final Fantasy franchise. Also, if I recall correctly, production-wise, this game is regarded as a sequel to "Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light", so such statement is indeed confusing...
After all, Ridley Scott said the same when "Prometheus" was released: "Not an Alien prequel!". This is just fans-teasing, I reckon: once the game will be out, I'm sure Nintendo will push for the "FF" advertisement (eg. "the new RPG by the makers of "Final Fantasy").

The true meaning of the subtitle flew over your head.
---
I'VE GONE INSANE! That's how it seems though! Spiteful! Cruel! But wise beyond his age!
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#24Kumori_no_Yoru(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 6:01:19 PM

I don't think you get what the subtitle really means.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: Infinite Space, Dust: An Elysian Tail
#25Gandalf the IstariPosted 5/27/2013 10:18:58 PM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...

I don't think you get what the subtitle really means.

To be fair it means both - in an interview they said they chose it in part because of the abbreviation.
#26lulzacePosted 5/29/2013 12:24:20 PM
Hey If MMO's have an offline mode I'm sold since i dont have to use my internet. Seriously I live with 3 women, so much lag during the day if I happend to be off and not painting/drawing.
---
Official Kyuubi No Kitsune of the SMT IV Boards.
Plz let SMTxFE Hito-Shura have Freikugel!
#27_Bad_Player_Posted 6/1/2013 4:09:49 PM
Wow.... "Not a Final Fantasy product" is an amazing hint about the subtitle of this game.