The things SMT4 have that would make it better than Bravely Default?

#1G1ingyPosted 6/23/2013 6:02:56 PM
I thought at first I'd make a "should I buy this game or SMT4" thread, but I realize how absolutely biased such threads it'd be, whether I make it here or in Bravely Default's forums. It especially doesn't help that the fanbase for one of these two games(won't name which) is especially prickly.

Hence instead, I'm going for this approach.

Imagine you had to choose between this game and SMT4, and you chose to buy SMT4 instead. What would it have been that made you choose that game over this one?

...I wonder how many of the answers would be ironic...
#2MagiusNecrosPosted 6/23/2013 6:13:42 PM
It has a concrete release date in July. Of this year.
---
Reggie Fils-Aime - PLAY. THE. GAME.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#3Kumori_no_YoruPosted 6/23/2013 6:54:11 PM(edited)
MagiusNecros posted...
It has a concrete release date in July. Of this year.

He might be in Europe, where it does not have a concrete release, as far as I know. JP/NA-wise, the games were/are spaced well apart from one another in terms of release so there is no conflict there in the event TC's from NA.

I'd imagine you can easily afford both, granted I'm unsure if SMT4 will wound up with a winter release (a fall release vs. BDFF's winter release in Europe would bode well for Europeans), unless if you're on an extremely tight budget.

And either way, you're going to get a biased response depending on which board you post to. Both are good games in their own right.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: Remember Me, The Last of Us
#4G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 7:04:44 PM
I know it's possible to buy both, but this is why I bolded "imagine". There's simply too many games on the 3DS atm, including the upcoming Etrian Odyssey game, MH4 in development, Etrian Odyssey 4 I'm currently playing, etc.
#5Kumori_no_YoruPosted 6/23/2013 7:12:39 PM
I'd imagine I would look into both games and see which one appeals to me more.
---
#6G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 7:30:53 PM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
I'd imagine I would look into both games and see which one appeals to me more.

And if it turns out SMT4 is the one that appeals to you more, what exactly would it be that would make you choose that game over this?
#7Kumori_no_YoruPosted 6/23/2013 8:01:36 PM
I dunno. Grimdark setting and all?

I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan, and a lot of my posts here have me fangirling over BDFF so it's obvious what I'd go with. I just don't like making biased posts. :P
---
#8Jati_no_ReiPosted 6/24/2013 3:36:31 PM
Well, as someone who is Certainly gonna be buying both of these games, i can say with some certainty that if i HAD to only pick 1, itd be SMTIV.

Why? Almost entirely because of the previous games in both series. THE reason i am so excited about this game is because i found out it is the spiritual sequal to FF:4HoL, which i was quite taken with. That said, 4HoL wasn't nearly as challenging/intense/amazing as SMT:Nocturne or Strange Journey were, so i'd have to go with SMT if forced to choose...
thank goddess i don't have to make that choice...
---
Playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS) & various other games.
Official Ganesha of the SMT IV board.
#9Kumori_no_YoruPosted 6/24/2013 4:01:16 PM(edited)
Issue is, BDFF really isn't that similar to 4HoL at all beyond art direction. Granted the eventual lack of difficulty occurs, but that's a trend in pretty much all RPGs, so I tend not to hold it against it that much. :P I've beaten the game quite some time ago and I'd have to say it's leagues better than 4HoL.

I'm getting SMT4 as well, but once again, I encourage people to make their own decisions and not rely on what others say.
---
#10G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 4:04:02 PM
But...I liked 4HoL.

I mean, okay I can see why people'd be turned off by the combat system. But as unwieldy as it was, it was a UNIQUE experience I've never had in any RPG before. In a way, the lack of control provided a whole new layer of strategy where you need to anticipate the fact that you have little control over your characters.

Granted there were other flaws with the game too...namely how ****y my favourite crown(design wise) was. Four Heroes of Light's Monk design is easily my favourite Monk design of any RPG's I've played ever. Too bad it majorly sucked.