The things SMT4 have that would make it better than Bravely Default?

#21RazLordPosted 6/28/2013 6:56:15 PM
Lacrymosa143 posted...
X did not go back to that. It is turn based but not traditional. If you played them you would know that. And I do communicate with japanese people. It is no where near hated as much as you see here, with the final fantasy series specifically. WIth Dragon Quest it's a different story.

Really? Are you really trying to say that FFX isn't turn-based when it quite clearly is? Turn-based is turn-based, doesn't matter how it's spun around.

Also, I don't really look much into the Japanese side of the fanbase myself but even I was aware that they're not fond of the bull droppings that is stuff like All the Bravest.
#22Lacrymosa143Posted 6/28/2013 6:58:04 PM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
Lacrymosa143 posted...
X did not go back to that. It is turn based but not traditional. If you played them you would know that. And I do communicate with japanese people. It is no where near hated as much as you see here, with the final fantasy series specifically. WIth Dragon Quest it's a different story.

...Turned-based is turn-based, no matter how you shake it. Square themselves have even acknowledged FFX went back to turn-based. I've played every main installment, including the MMOs and even just about every spin-off one can name, so don't even try to twist words.

I can tell you don't really communicate with that side of the fandom. They're just as ticked off with Square Enix as western fans are. Just go look up their reactions to All the Bravest and try to tell me they still love their recent outings. Any claims otherwise and I can tell you're stretching it big time.

As you continue to digress from the initial point to grasp at straws: BDFF is in the very same position as SMTIV. Just because you very clearly dislike one series does not mean the other doesn't deploy the same aspects. They're both guilty for relying on nostalgia and that's all to it. It doesn't mean I dislike either one (as I've iterated many a time, I prefer BDFF), I'm merely establishing that bashing one for nostalgia-pandering when the other does the very same is pretty ridiculous.

I do like SMT. I played all the main ones, which is why i know about it. But I AM annoyed that they stay the same all the time. And no matter how you shake it, FFX is not the same turn based game as Dragon Quest and SMT other than Nocturne is. It's much quicker and each character has an action individually. And with more agility, the sooner a character can act. Also each ability has a different cooldown time for the character. Very different than the traditional turnbased. And the same goes for FFX-2 being different than previous ATB Final Fantasies despite being ATB. Compared to SMT and Dragon Quest the Final Fantasy series changes a lot with each game.

And like others said, BDFF combines new with old, which still makes it different than the very traditional Atlus rpgs.
#23RazLordPosted 6/28/2013 7:03:43 PM(edited)
Lacrymosa143 posted...
I do like SMT. I played all the main ones, which is why i know about it. But I AM annoyed that they stay the same all the time. And no matter how you shake it, FFX is not the same turn based game as Dragon Quest and SMT other than Nocturne is. It's much quicker and each character has an action individually. And with more agility, the sooner a character can act. Also each ability has a different cooldown time for the character. Very different than the traditional turnbased. And the same goes for FFX-2 being different than previous ATB Final Fantasies despite being ATB. Compared to SMT and Dragon Quest the Final Fantasy series changes a lot with each game.

And like others said, BDFF combines new with old, which still makes it different than the very traditional Atlus rpgs.

Congratulations, you know what a turn-based game is!

Pro tip: As someone who has played a good deal of Nocturne, it also is the same kind of turn-based gameplay, even with its Press Turn system.

Also, I played DQIX at one point myself, still essentially is the same as you described FFX to be.
#24Kumori_no_YoruPosted 6/28/2013 7:08:46 PM
Lacrymosa143 posted...

Like RazLord said, you just cited turn-based. Congrats.

Just because a game mix-mashes old elements and new doesn't make it any less of a traditional game. BDFF is traditional by the book (hell, narrative-wise, it doesn't stop being traditional until half-way into the game and some feel the twist is trite), and it banks itself on being a throwback to classic JRPGs much like that of FFIX. By no means is it doing anything fresh.

You're in for disappointment in BDFF if you're expecting an RPG that is not traditional, I can assure you after completing the game several months ago. BDFF is a great game with an excellent presentation, but it definitely does rely on nostalgia-pandering just as much as RPGs such as FFIX and SMT4 and pretty much a lot of other RPGs that attempted the same thing -- Even down to mixing the "old with the new".
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: Remember Me, The Last of Us
#25OtilukePosted 6/28/2013 7:13:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#26lulzacePosted 7/2/2013 5:39:29 AM
Well SMT is always that on to scratch my story itch much like EO and comes with a really good battle system to top it off.

This, story not withstanding as i know barely any of it, just looks fun to play and...the class system <3

And yeah SMT ppl have been flipping out at times but I cant exactly blame them. The MegaTen fandom is basically 3 factions. 1 that is the MegaTen franchises fans, a second that comprises the fans of smt, and the fans of persona. The latter two are quite uninformed about a few things(generally) and both perpetuate and instigate arguments that were otherwise dealt with for no reason.

Sorta like the whole roman catholic thing, but with timelines and bending official materials meanings instead of taking books out.
---
Official Kyuubi No Kitsune of the SMT IV Boards.
Plz let SMTxFE Hito-Shura have Freikugel!
#27Kumori_no_YoruPosted 7/2/2013 6:25:39 AM
Heya Lulzace~

I haven't been bothered with the SMTIV board due to the fandom reeking of elitism at times (ie, treating the Persona series like it's the plague simply because it became the larger selling series -- granted, the Persona fans are rather obnoxious with their "dun care bout smt lol" attitude). Not to say everyone on that board is that way, just it's gotten pretty bad with a select number of people.

Instead I'll just quietly enjoy the game. :P I enjoy it for the same reasons.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: The Last of Us, Muramasa Rebirth
#28lulzacePosted 7/2/2013 3:03:41 PM(edited)
Yep. All games are good in their own right and each caters to a different market. So if the game doesn't suit your tastes it fine, though the whole argument about Persona is SMT is probably the worst thing.

I mean the Amala Network basically clarifies why everything is connected yet separate between the different series and timelines. Most games are connected and everything but that arguing just takes away the possibility* speculation of how could x be even more related/secretly entwined with y?

:/ Hell fan theories on how/why things are connected in the series were one of my favorite things to read.
---
Official Kyuubi No Kitsune of the SMT IV Boards.
Plz let SMTxFE Hito-Shura have Freikugel!
#29Lexmark1989Posted 7/4/2013 6:05:40 PM
Lacrymosa143 posted...
IMO the SMT games are really just more of the same. And for some reason people like it that way. Nocturne is the only different one. At least square makes each game different in some way.

Devil Survivor? Anyway making something different isn't always a good thing if no-one likes what is different. If people like more of the same then its ok, more of the same isn't a bad thing as long as everyone isn't doing it.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies