People who have played the game: rate the openness from 1 to 9

#1Xavier_On_HighPosted 7/3/2013 6:20:29 PM
You must rate! - Results (21 votes)
1 - Final Fantasy XIII (almost a straight line to the end)
14.29% (3 votes)
0% (0 votes)
4.76% (1 votes)
9.52% (2 votes)
5 Final Fantasy VI (linear early on, opens way up later on)
38.1% (8 votes)
9.52% (2 votes)
9.52% (2 votes)
0% (0 votes)
9 - Final Fantasy II (almost frustratingly open from the start)
14.29% (3 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Feel free to cite examples of how exploration plays out.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltnafhjcUz1qmxswbo1_500.gif
#2Kumori_no_YoruPosted 7/3/2013 7:18:02 PM
I never thought to compare it to FFVI in terms of linearity (...or openness -- I think this is a glass half full/empty question, isn't it?), but it's probably a fair comparison:

You can do the subquests for the jobs in almost any order, albeit they kinda come able to be unlocked in "sets". For example, getting to Lakrika (that big clock country, for those who haven't played, reminds me a lot of FFIX's Lindblum), you can do the subquests for Thief, Merchant, and Time Mage up to that point, but you can do them in any order. Depending on who you do first between the Merchant and Time Mage quests also alters their boss fights (if you do the Merchant quest first, you won't fight Boritori along with Mamamoto in the TM quest).

Then there's the Hunter, Valkyrie, Summoner, and Red Mage classes at Flowell and so on with other jobs. Otherwise, the story's ultimately linear, but there's still some room for exploration seeing as how the final two jobs require you to go out of your way from the main story to get, then there's a few other trinkets such as the bonus dungeon + boss, etc.

Thinking about it now, the only jobs you get by story are Freelancer (duh), Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Magus, Devout, Dark Knight, and Paladin.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: The Last of Us, Muramasa Rebirth
#3lulzacePosted 7/5/2013 3:15:03 AM
So I assume there are gamebreakking combos? If so how likely is it that we'll randomly come across one. O.o i have a bad tendency to have a "I broked teh game" moment on games i do little to no research on :P
---
Official Kyuubi No Kitsune of the SMT IV Boards.
Plz let SMTxFE Hito-Shura have Freikugel!
#4Kumori_no_YoruPosted 7/5/2013 5:24:13 AM
Dark Knight class alone is pretty strong, as I've managed to solo 3 bosses in one fight with Ringabell on Dark Knight/Knight and the Time Mage ability World Haste equipped onto another party member.

Basically, I'd Brave once, use the Knight class's defensive ability that drops all physical damage to 1 for that turn, then just do Darkness or a standard attack and pick off the bosses one at a time. Two out of the three were physical-oriented, so that dropped their damage to 1 altogether with the third being magic-based and their AI wasn't smart enough to spam said attack that gets around the Knight's defense skill for 2k damage (I had about 5 - 6k HP on Ringabell) and would instead opt for a physical attack.

Whenever my HP dropped to the 2 - 3k range, I'd just use a Hi-Potion instead of attacking that turn. It's a reminder to bring Phoenix Downs into a fight since that was the reason I had to solo as I had forgotten to buy some and I saw it as a way to do a test, haha.

But yes, Dark Knight class is awesome and there's probably other setups that work really well. It's been awhile since I've played. Good thing the class looks so cool. :P
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: The Last of Us, Muramasa Rebirth
#5lulzacePosted 7/5/2013 10:56:06 PM
:P Yep I'm probably gonna do something weird 2h in
---
#6ZoelPosted 7/5/2013 11:05:33 PM
There is just so many methods of breaking the game even early on. I use Nolende village equipment, and purchase an Angel Bow which let me wipe out all the enemies and boss early game. Then when I first got the valkryie class I was able to wipe out every random encounter in a single turn and even dish out 9999 damage on bosses early game. There is so many ways to break the game. But it doesn't ruin the game but you can abuse a lot of the in game mechincs.
---
AKA as Zoelius / PSN: Celis777 [ working on P4G Faq]
P4A Main = Aegis / BB Main = Carl
#7MagiusNecrosPosted 7/6/2013 7:57:11 AM
I'd say the game is similar to FF3 and the early Dragon Quest games.
---
Reggie Fils-Aime - PLAY. THE. GAME.
Official GILGAMESH of every Gamefaqs Board
#8lulzacePosted 7/7/2013 12:20:37 AM
Is there a boss with a metric ton of hp in this game?
---
#9Xavier_On_High(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2013 7:26:36 AM
Thanks for the responses. So the votes indicate that BF is pretty consistent in SNES- or Playstation-era RPGs as far as exploration goes.

I'd be interested to hear from the two people who voted 1 and 9, assuming they aren't just joke votes, though it seems likely that they are.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltnafhjcUz1qmxswbo1_500.gif
#10Gandalf the IstariPosted 7/11/2013 9:06:56 PM
Xavier_On_High posted...
Thanks for the responses. So the votes indicate that BF is pretty consistent in SNES- or Playstation-era RPGs as far as exploration goes.

I'd be interested to hear from the two people who voted 1 and 9, assuming they aren't just joke votes, though it seems likely that they are.

You have a lot of faith in people if you think extreme opinions around GameFaqs are jokes :)
More topics from this board...
The AdventurerRingabelDim29/12 5:08PM