FFX-2 is a sequel that should not exist. It ruined FFX's great story

#1XFactor1Posted 3/27/2013 9:39:22 PM
Some games and movies are better off just not having a sequel to maintain the original vision's integrity.

FFX-2 kind of ruins X's ending with the creative team behind it getting all paranoid thinking that people were unsatisfied with FFX's depressing ending.

FF X-2 was complete pandering to fanservice by nullifying a great ending of FFX with the aim of ending FFX-2 on a very implausible happy & cheerful note.

Yuna transformed from a somber melancholic personality in X, to a happy go lucky, carefree J-Pop star in FFX-2.

Spira also became less interesting by not being desolate and gloomy in FFX-2.
FFX-2 was a bigger misstep than anything done in the XIII series.
---
--
#2OmenofFatePosted 3/27/2013 9:42:07 PM
FFX-2 has the best battle system in the series so meh.
#3bakkahentai8600Posted 3/27/2013 9:57:32 PM
All of you people need to pay closer attention to this game's story and stop using the opening scene to judge it.
---
Previously the_sage2600
I'm baaaacccckkkkk
#4Moeman_Posted 3/27/2013 10:06:40 PM
bakkahentai8600 posted...
All of you people need to pay closer attention to this game's story and stop using the opening scene to judge it.

I agree. That'd be like judging an entire game's quality of voice acting from one scene that was always meant to be awkward and stupid.

Oh. Wait.
---
She lives. You just can't keep a good Moon Princess down.
#5hyperknees91Posted 3/27/2013 10:11:40 PM
51793Moeman posted...

I agree. That'd be like judging an entire game's quality of voice acting from one scene that was always meant to be awkward and stupid.

Oh. Wait.

Apparently people always miss the "We thought you guys had gone crazy" remark that directly follows that scene.

That being said, yes FFX-2 is for shippers mainly. The core story really didn't get enough focus so unfortunately it fell a little flat. But quite honestly you could just ignore it if you didn't like the game or it's concept =p
---
JUS FC 2019-5866-6015
Brawl FC 3823-8182-8990
#6YamiJustinPosted 3/27/2013 10:14:30 PM
hyperknees91 posted...
51793Moeman posted...

Oh. Wait.

Apparently people always miss the "We thought you guys had gone crazy" remark that directly follows that scene.

That being said, yes FFX-2 is for shippers mainly. The core story really didn't get enough focus so unfortunately it fell a little flat. But quite honestly you could just ignore it if you didn't like the game or it's concept =p

I just finished a playthrough and still the story falls flat. Gameplay is great. But whenever a fantastic movie is followed by a bad sequel people will hate the sequel. Like Godfather III ugh.
#7Game JesterPosted 3/27/2013 10:35:28 PM
OmenofFate posted...
FFX-2 has the best battle system in the series so meh.
#8RixxellPosted 3/27/2013 10:52:36 PM
You know, the timing of this topic really does seem convenient after I just mentioned earlier today how X-2 used to make me feel. That said, I will weigh in my two cents. X-2 originally had me disappointed in that the ending for X was something very different by having the main character in essence die and they just went and changed it to appease those disappointed by the original ending. With the fact that X was the first FF to ever receive a direct sequel to its overall plot, this also played a role in my feelings.

However X-2 has since earned a place in my heart despite the rather bland story that pandered to many. This was because of its redeeming factors, ie the gameplay and NG+, in which the former is frankly the most important thing to me in any game I play and the latter is something that greatly adds to any game for re-playability purposes. Once one looks over why SE brought Tidus back and the issues with how the game may appeal to certain audiences only, X-2 is actually a great game. The character growth made by Yuna and Rikku to a lesser extent is very welcome to see and this doesn't mention getting to see just how Spira changed in the 2 years since the beginning of the Eternal Calm.

I don't know about you, but finding out that the old guy who told the history of Spira(can't remember the guys name) was actually dead was something rather surprising and yet somewhat fitting to the plot. Little things like these just made me love the game mainly because of my love for the original and the background Squaresoft put into X. While many people may not like X-2 for many different reasons, those of us who can actually appreciate what SE was trying to do by adding onto the original story can see it doesn't mean the game just shouldn't exist.
---
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your tricks of war.
#9TCrinaleTPosted 3/27/2013 11:54:32 PM
I cannot understand why people are so mad over X-2. Yes, the game barely mentions Tidus, yes, there is no romance story, yes, there are little FFX references other than it's still Spira. Does that mean FFX-2 ruins FFX? Hell no, FFX is still a great game and if you want you can even pretend FFX-2 does not exist if that makes you happier.
---
"You stand before the final dimension, and I'm the darkness of eternity"
#10RixxellPosted 3/28/2013 12:05:53 AM
TCrinaleT posted...
I cannot understand why people are so mad over X-2. Yes, the game barely mentions Tidus, yes, there is no romance story, yes, there are little FFX references other than it's still Spira. Does that mean FFX-2 ruins FFX? Hell no, FFX is still a great game and if you want you can even pretend FFX-2 does not exist if that makes you happier.

This was how I used to feel before I grew up and saw beyond the basic plot by looking at the characters. If one actually takes time to read about X they will find it has the biggest background history for the world when compared to nearly any FF bar something from Ivalice or as of late the Lightning Saga. This background was something that I feel inspired SE to go ahead with X-2, as they wanted to add closure for all the characters now that the world was no longer trapped in the Sin-cycle.
---
You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your tricks of war.