I still don't get how linearity in this is good but linearity in XIII is bad.

#1Arc166Posted 2/23/2014 8:21:40 AM
Pretty much.

People say its just because this has like towns
#2HoIlywoodPosted 2/23/2014 8:31:50 AM
the art direction in FFX doesn't make the game look like a tunnel for the first 12 hours
---
The Wind from FFXIV Leviathan Server
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1813153/
#3rpggamer29Posted 2/23/2014 8:33:08 AM
If you dont get it no one can explain it to you. Its as simple as this, when playing 10 you still feel as if you have freedom. Because you do. 13, nope. You dont get the ability to go back until late in the game, theres no sidequests, no minigames, and plenty more examples. Also, you could have gone to the other topic discussing this.
---
It's not paranoia if the Random Number Generator is really out to get you.
#4IsarouPosted 2/23/2014 8:34:52 AM
Linearity suits both of them very well. The stories in these games couldn't have been told in a non-linear game.
#5drsw36Posted 2/23/2014 8:40:37 AM
rpggamer29 posted...
If you dont get it no one can explain it to you. Its as simple as this, when playing 10 you still feel as if you have freedom. Because you do. 13, nope. You dont get the ability to go back until late in the game, theres no sidequests, no minigames, and plenty more examples. Also, you could have gone to the other topic discussing this.

What about the 64 Cie'th stone missions?

Anyway, Both FFX & FFXIII are linear but it seem to bother people less in FFX for some reason.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/drsw36
#6KuraikawaPosted 2/23/2014 8:41:12 AM
New things are always bad. Things must stay exactly the same!
#7RedwingedMinxPosted 2/23/2014 8:58:42 AM
IMO: More memorable story, towns, mini-games, better music

I cant even remember the battle theme in XIII and I still to this day can remember the battle theme for X even though I have not played it in a long time.
#8GazelMinistryPosted 2/23/2014 9:02:20 AM
XIII has other, significant problems that X does not.

Most significantly, in my opinion, is the awful story and storytelling in XIII.
---
I am a nontheist, a nihilist. And I'm sure god loves me anyway.
#9Arc166(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2014 9:02:45 AM
rpggamer29 posted...
Also, you could have gone to the other topic discussing this.

I don see it
#10ansel555Posted 2/23/2014 9:04:45 AM
I liked XIII, and they're both linear but they have very different feelings to them.

X, while linear plot-wise, had more open spaces. You have a traditional band of heroes who come together toward the beginning of the game, and for the most part stay together. Your group travels together toward a known destination at their own pace.

XIII is linear in both plot and level design. For a very large portion of the game you play as a party of two characters at a time, constantly switching but spending little time as a full party until the latter half. Finally, and most important IMO, the characters spend the majority of XIII not progressing toward a goal, but rather fleeing from Sanctum. It makes this game feel very rushed.

XIII is a sprint and X is a scenic marathon.
---
"Fortune favors the brave."