So who's sick of the haters from 2D fighting games?

#1cmdrdreddPosted 4/16/2012 2:15:57 PM
Seriously...why hate DOA because it has reversals? I mean just because you can't stand there and smash out 17hits with a crazy F,D,B,F,QCD,Charge F, PPP motion and lock the opponent in a corner? The number one complaint for Street FIghter x Tekken I see is Pandors isn't like X-Factor in MvC. The Number one complaint for DOA is you can have your attack reversed. IMO that adds to the game since you actually have to think and can't just activate hyper comeback mode or smash out ridiculous combos that you can't get out of.

Everyone I see who is remotely interested in fighting games is a serious hater for this game and the VF series. IMO they are more polished from the start. I understand they aren't as popular but...I don't get the hate. I like Street Fighter, but I don't hate on everything not Street Fighter or not 2D.

Anyone care to try to explain to me why it's like this?
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
#2x17x2xwildxPosted 4/16/2012 5:31:35 PM
Well, I think a lot of the hate for DOA's counter system comes from people saying it's just "rock, paper, scissors" in fighting form. I hate that comparison though, because on a basic level all fighters can be viewed like that (each option getting the win or beat out). It's just that DOA puts a little more of a focus on it, which leads to mindgames over technicality, and some people don't like that.

As for the VF hate, I'm really not sure, but I think the lack of interesting character designs really hurts the game (think about it, if VF5 was released as the first entry of the series would you really be interested?). It's also not that flashy in terms of the stages or character movesets compared to games like DOA, Tekken, and SC.
---
Let us dance...
PSN: x18x2xwildx GT: xDallas1088x
#3SSBR10Posted 4/16/2012 6:05:13 PM(edited)
x17x2xwildx posted...
As for the VF hate, I'm really not sure, but I think the lack of interesting character designs really hurts the game (think about it, if VF5 was released as the first entry of the series would you really be interested?).

Well VF did start in the early 90s (during the whole SF2 craze), so what do they expect? But I truly don't see why the character designs aren't interesting. Those haters probably had either Street Fighter (in which they truly can't talk) or Tekken in mind, in which I'm personally glad VF doesn't have their characters like. I don't want them to be too flashy or anime-ish like those series' characters.

It's also not that flashy in terms of the stages or character movesets compared to games like DOA, Tekken, and SC.

Well...that's their problem. VF always seemed to go for realism, which helps it stand out from other fighters so that's not really problem for the series. If they want all of those colorful, supernatural elements that goes beyond realism, VF is not the game for them.

I think this is just a regular case of 2D vs. 3D arguments. Not worth focusing too much on but it does bug me over why these series get hate. They make up some really stupid excuses.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#4cmdrdredd(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 6:06:43 PM
I started playing VF and DOA because I did martial arts for 15 years. Street Fighter was fun, but the addition of combo strings and supers made it totally different than before. VF and DOA kind of still have the more realistic moves (to a point).

Anyway I saw a ton of hate toward DOA and couldn't get a straight answer from the 2D fanatics. They think UMVC3 is the best thing ever for some reason. Personally I hate that game's mechanic. It punishes you for not knowing all the combo exploits.
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
#5grap3fruitmanPosted 4/16/2012 6:09:48 PM
DOA gets hate from players of all fighters, not just 2D ones, and it's not just because of the counter system. DOA has a lot of flaws that hold it back from being a serious fighter, which is unfortunate, and people who have experience with more technical fighters pick up on these items quickly and knock the series for them. Even your DOA players dislike the game, that's why there isn't a scene for it. When was the last time you heard of people going to events to play DOA?
#6x17x2xwildxPosted 4/16/2012 6:49:04 PM
SSBR10 posted...
x17x2xwildx posted...
As for the VF hate, I'm really not sure, but I think the lack of interesting character designs really hurts the game (think about it, if VF5 was released as the first entry of the series would you really be interested?).

Well VF did start in the early 90s (during the whole SF2 craze), so what do they expect? But I truly don't see why the character designs aren't interesting. Those haters probably had either Street Fighter (in which they truly can't talk) or Tekken in mind, in which I'm personally glad VF doesn't have their characters like. I don't want them to be too flashy or anime-ish like those series' characters.

It's also not that flashy in terms of the stages or character movesets compared to games like DOA, Tekken, and SC.

Well...that's their problem. VF always seemed to go for realism, which helps it stand out from other fighters so that's not really problem for the series. If they want all of those colorful, supernatural elements that goes beyond realism, VF is not the game for them.

I think this is just a regular case of 2D vs. 3D arguments. Not worth focusing too much on but it does bug me over why these series get hate. They make up some really stupid excuses.

Why are you quoting my post like I disagree with you? I'm aware it's their problem. And as for the last poster, I know it's not JUST the counter system, but that definitely plays a major part in a lot of people's gripes with the series.
---
Let us dance...
PSN: x18x2xwildx GT: xDallas1088x
#7Game JesterPosted 4/16/2012 7:50:30 PM
Don't try and pin the hate on 2D fighting game players, DoA because of it's mechanics is the black sheep of fighters. And don't try to drag VF into it, most people who openly hate VF are the people who only got into fighters REALLY late.
#8SSBR10Posted 4/16/2012 9:31:03 PM(edited)
x17x2xwildx posted...
Why are you quoting my post like I disagree with you? I'm aware it's their problem.

Quoting a post doesn't suddenly means there's a disagreement. Never did I claim YOU were saying all of that. I was just simply putting that out there since those kind of complaints about VF really bugs me.

But you did say something like the "lack of interesting character designs hurts the series". That's something I definitely disagree with.
---
Little Mac, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown for Super Smash Bros. 4.
Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, Shonen Jump vs. Capcom please.
#9Dragunov_4_everPosted 4/17/2012 12:16:43 AM
The DoA games are fun and pretty, but they're not deep games. The counter system was poorly thought out and very abusable, making most strings useless beyond the first hit. There aren't many things that DoA requires someone to learn because there really isn't much to the games. It's all about master the counter system, which isn't all too hard with the huge window and range it had in DoA4 and the even more larger window and range that it has in DoA5. Even the Devs consider the game to be more about mindless casual fun than a technical fighter. Considering everyone's novelists consist of the same dozen moves within different orders, on top of the easy-mode counter system DoA is really the most basic form of Rock, Paper, Scissors that there is in a fighting game this gen.

Even most DoA Pros dislike the series now and only played it back during DoA4 because of all the big league money like MLG. The tournament scene for DoA is practically dead now. All the original Pros don't care for it's shallowness now and MLG, where all of DoA4's competitive hype came from, no longer has any interest with the series now that they've got MK9, KoFXIII and SCV.
---
TTT2: Dragunov, Marduk, Ogre, Jinpachi, Alisa, Wang
#10ToastyToastyPosted 4/17/2012 8:16:26 PM
Because every fanbase for every game and every genre has some good people and some idiots that hate other things.
It isn't exclusive, there's plenty of people that only play 3D fighters and "hate on" 2D fighters.
It's life, deal with it.

And to shed some actual light, the people with non-moronic reasons for disliking the genre are probably mostly put off by the pacing. DOA is relatively fast-paced but there's still always going to be a stark difference in a game like this and one like Blazblue where you're flying all over the place and pulling off ridiculous stunts and moves.

Personally I enjoy both 3D and 2D for various different reasons, but quit playing victim as if some parts of a fanbase hating something is new to gaming.