Unlocking Guide (official)

#1czarshipPosted 9/26/2012 5:11:52 PM
I've read some conflicting reports about the unlocking and customization options in the game, so I wanted to make this post for clarity. This information is directly from the official guide. Unfortunately it doesn't go into detail about the costume customization options, so it can still be improved. Feel free to post any additions, questions, or comments.

Unlocking Guide

Characters & Stages
Alpha-152: Obtain 300 titles
Pai: Obtain 100 titles
Akira: Clear Kokoro's chapter in Story Mode
Gen Fu: Clear Elliot's chapter in Story Mode
Sara: Clear Tina's chapter in Story Mode
Lab Stage: Clear the True Kasumi chapter in Story mode

Costumes and accessories
Almost all character costumes are unlocked by completing a course in Arcade Mode, Time Attack Mode, or Survival Mode that you have no previously cleared with that character. There are some exceptions to this rule when dealing with Kasumi and the swimsuit costumes.

NOTE: With the exception of a few select costumes, all costumes are unlocked in the order they appear on the character select screen. Each character starts with two default costumes (costume 1 and costume 2) and then obtains costume 3, costume 4, and so on.

Unlockable Costume Exceptions
Kasumi Black Suit: Clear the True Kasumi chapter in Story mode.
Kasumi Kimono: Clear the Kasumi vs. Christie battle in the True Kasumi chapter of Story Mode.
Christie Swimsuit: Clear the Legend course (solo match) in Time Attack Mode with Christie, without using a continue.
Lisa Swimsuit: Clear the Legend course (solo match) in Survival Mode with Lisa.
Tina Swimsuit: Clear the Legend course (solo match) in Arcade Mode with Tina, without using a continue.

Character Costume Count
2 Aika Yuki
3 Alpha-152
6 Ayane
4 Bass Armstrong
5 Bayman
5 Brad Wong
6 Christie
5 Eliot
2 Gen Fu
4 Hayate
5 Helena Douglas
6 Hitomi
5 Jann Lee
6 Kasumi
6 Kokoro
8 Leifang
7 Lisa Hamilton\La Mariposa
6 Mila
2 Pai Chan
4 Rig
4 Ryu Hayabusa
2 Sarah Bryant
7 Tina Armstrong
4 Zack

NOTE: The total number of character costumes does not include pre-order bonus or downloadable content (DLC) costumes.

Character Costume Accessories
After selecting a character at the character select screen, you must decide which costume to use. When you confirm the costume selection you can also customize the costume in various ways by holding a specific button when you confirm your costume selection. Not all costumes are customizable, but when you confirm the selection, it makes a unique sound if a customization has been selected.

Button Input Customization
Shoulder or Trigger Button: Hairstyle/Head and Upper Body Items
Left or Right (D-pad): Glasses/Eyewear
X: Default Underwear/Undergarments
Triangle: Alternative Underwear/Undergarments 1
Square: Alternative Underwear/Undergarments 2
Triangle+X: Alternative Underwear/Undergarments 3

TIP: It's possible to customize multiple items at once. Simply hold all of the corresponding button inputs while confirming your costume selection. Only one selection per area can be customized. For example, you can add glasses, change your character's hairstyle, and use one alternate underwear optional al at once. However, you cannot select multiple alternate underwear options at the same time.

NOTE: Not all characters have every customization option. Some characters have no customization items on any of their costumes, while others may have extensive customization on only a few of their costumes. The amount of customization various from character to character and costume to costume.

This concludes all information regarding the unlocking section of the guide (only 1 page). Let me know if you'd like more.
#2echa_OnePosted 9/26/2012 5:15:12 PM
Oh, someone likes Skies of Arcadia. *looks at Aika Yuki* :D
---
3 things I dislike before a game release:
The wait, the haters and the trolls
#3SunburstPosted 9/26/2012 5:18:19 PM
While it may seem obvious, I think you should add how to unlock the higher difficulties of the courses. For example: Is it really required to defeat time attack on hard before unlocking true fighter? Some games allow for unlocking higher difficulty modes without doing every one. For example: In Lollipop Chainsaw you can unlock Very Hard mode by simply clearing easy mode.
---
There can be only one.
#4siframePosted 9/26/2012 5:20:18 PM
Nice one for the customization tips mate. The guide is wrong about the rare bikinis though. You don't have to use the character you want the suit for, you can continue and you have a 30% chance of getting one.
#5Darkriku666Posted 9/26/2012 5:30:24 PM
tag
---
Of course, if being better than your own photocopies excused bad behavior, your ass wouldn't have gotten fired after last year's holiday party.
#6RyunipotentPosted 9/26/2012 5:44:49 PM
I think you mean 300 titles for alpha-152?
---
"When all is said and done, more is said than done" - Holtz, Lou
#7RyunipotentPosted 9/26/2012 5:45:41 PM
Ryunipotent posted...
I think you mean 300 titles for alpha-152?

Nvm...
---
"When all is said and done, more is said than done" - Holtz, Lou
#8czarship(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 5:47:07 PM
Thanks for the updates. The guide is poorly edited to the point of having errors in the Contents. While the extensive move lists with descriptions are great, it completely glosses over important details like unlocking stages and costume options. All of these, including achievements/trophies are reserved for only 2 of the book's 336 pages.

I received this guide for free via a promotion from Best Buy. This week (through Saturday) they're offering a free guide with the purchase of the game. This deal works in stores only and was automatically applied at checkout without any entry from the clerk (I didn't even mention it).

To see if your local Best Buy will honor the promotion, go to bestbuy.com and click on "Weekly Deals" in the upper right. Ensure your location is properly selected at the top right of the page and choose "Shop By Category > Video Games". Browse through the online newspaper with the right arrow until you see (or don't see) the red words "GET THE DEAD OR ALIVE 5 GUIDE FREE When you purchase the game - A $19.99 value".
#9420Gamer4LifePosted 9/26/2012 6:10:21 PM
czarship posted...
Thanks for the updates. The guide is poorly edited to the point of having errors in the Contents. While the extensive move lists with descriptions are great, it completely glosses over important details like unlocking stages and costume options. All of these, including achievements/trophies are reserved for only 2 of the book's 336 pages.

I received this guide for free via a promotion from Best Buy. This week (through Saturday) they're offering a free guide with the purchase of the game. This deal works in stores only and was automatically applied at checkout without any entry from the clerk (I didn't even mention it).

To see if your local Best Buy will honor the promotion, go to bestbuy.com and click on "Weekly Deals" in the upper right. Ensure your location is properly selected at the top right of the page and choose "Shop By Category > Video Games". Browse through the online newspaper with the right arrow until you see (or don't see) the red words "GET THE DEAD OR ALIVE 5 GUIDE FREE When you purchase the game - A $19.99 value".

What are you talking about costume options are on page 332 and there arent many so there isnt a reason to go over them extensively. How many flaws are in the content section? One. Anyway prima guides have been knows to be low quality in the past but this is easily the best prima guide ive ever picked up.

Its free at best buy but if there arent any copies left in the story forget about it. Also the best buy at union city only got 3 copies of the actual game in there initial shipment. Best deal any place is offering for DOA5 in my opinion a free 20 dollar guide.
---
LIVE TheSativaGamer
PSN TheTHCGamer
#10czarship(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 6:30:59 PM
420Gamer4Life posted...
What are you talking about costume options...

It doesn't signify which characters have costume accessories and which don't. It goes on to tease that some costumes have "extensive options" but fails to provide anything beyond that. There is no list or even a depiction of them. Instead they leave the reader to try each character with different button combos just to see who has them and on which costumes. Hints are for gaming forums, painstakingly detailed walkthroughs are for official gaming guides you pay money for.

I'm not livid about it, just curious how Prima decides what they should leave out.