black arrows in command training?

#1ArcRay20Posted 10/5/2012 6:11:28 PM
just got this game and thought id try some training and with Bayman for the heck of it.
i was doing fine until i run into a move called Breakshot: black arrow downright>kick.

i searched here and found nothing. so what does it mean? i tried holding it during the kick and that didnt work.
i dont remember this from DOA4 for any moves.
---
Always remember: For every five minutes, you waste an hour.
-Arc Ray
#2GeneReaverPosted 10/5/2012 6:17:45 PM
It was definitely in DOA4 as well, but you have to take note of a specific part of the notation: the

That means, basically, 'upon releasing the previous input'. So what you want to do here is hold down-forward until Bayman is crouching, then release it and press kick immediately.

Hope this helps!
---
PostCount++
#3ArcRay20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 6:21:14 PM
oh god, that would have taken me forever to figure out!

i seriously dont remember that in DOA4, but it has been 6 friggin years since there has been a DOA game with new content.
---
-Arc Ray
#4occupation_bobPosted 10/5/2012 6:25:48 PM
It's actually a little different then that...

The normal white arrows are single commands. Basically, if it says Up Down, you hit Up, release, hit Down, release, then the next button.

If you don't realize this, yo're going to have trouble on a lot of moves for pressing the next button too early.

With the black arrow, it's to hold the direction down. It could be any direction, forward, backward, down, up. But all you need to do is hold it while you press the next button. You can release it after that next input, though.
---
It's like my Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattatas.
#5GeneReaverPosted 10/5/2012 6:28:02 PM
occupation_bob posted...
It's actually a little different then that...

The normal white arrows are single commands. Basically, if it says Up Down, you hit Up, release, hit Down, release, then the next button.

If you don't realize this, yo're going to have trouble on a lot of moves for pressing the next button too early.

With the black arrow, it's to hold the direction down. It could be any direction, forward, backward, down, up. But all you need to do is hold it while you press the next button. You can release it after that next input, though.

Except when there's a , which is why this move was causing him trouble. The input is a black down-forward Kick, which means you have to release the directional input. It's like Mila's PP fK T; as soon as you release the kick, you hit Throw.
---
PostCount++
#6GeneReaverPosted 10/5/2012 6:37:18 PM
Thanks, by the way; you've made one of my favorite Bayman combos much easier by reminding me that move exists!

p+k, 2kk, 7p, [3]k, 3k3p+k f+p for 123 damage.
As opposed to p+k, 2kk, 7p, 236p,663k3p+k f+p for 120.
---
PostCount++
#7ArcRay20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 6:43:02 PM(edited)
i see whats going on here now. yes ive seen the 'hold direction' command before, but i havent seen it used like this before, so it was throwing me off.

that specific move reminds me of 'when rising' attcks from soul calibur.

edit: what is f+p? i was trying out your combo and i dont know what that last part is.
---
-Arc Ray
#8GeneReaverPosted 10/5/2012 6:49:53 PM
ArcRay20 posted...
i see whats going on here now. yes ive seen the 'hold direction' command before, but i havent seen it used like this before, so it was throwing me off.

that specific move reminds me of 'when rising' attcks from soul calibur.

edit: what is f+p? i was trying out your combo and i dont know what that last part is.

f+p is just as alternate notation for 'throw'. Previous games used it instead of 'T', and it actually still works if you hit the hold ('free', hence the f) and punch button at the same time.
---
PostCount++
#9ArcRay20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:09:26 PM
GeneReaver posted...
Thanks, by the way; you've made one of my favorite Bayman combos much easier by reminding me that move exists!

i just modified your fav combo and got 133 damage out of it, is that normal?

this is what i did: p+k, 2kk, 5pp, 7p, [3]k, 3k3p+k, and into the ground throw.

just added 2 punches after the kicks or does that not combo?
---
-Arc Ray
#10GeneReaverPosted 10/5/2012 7:11:22 PM
ArcRay20 posted...
GeneReaver posted...

i just modified your fav combo and got 133 damage out of it, is that normal?

this is what i did: p+k, 2kk, 5pp, 7p, [3]k, 3k3p+k, and into the ground throw.

just added 2 punches after the kicks or does that not combo?

If it didn't combo, it wouldn't say 133 damage, but the problem with that is the 6pp in the middle; yes, it adds damage, but not very much and it's two more mid punches for them to counter. The setup I used was because it gets into a Critical Burst state in just four strikes, leaving the opponent very little to counter and giving me more guaranteed damage.
---
PostCount++