Very curious on how Tecmo makes money

#1docman864Posted 5/10/2013 12:05:57 PM
some people have mentioned on this board that sales were lukewarm, but if that was really the case then why is it that they continue to release Razor's Edge and Ultimate Edition of this game. When you look at other companies like Sega, they think like 3 times (or at least a year later) before they even consider releasing their games overseas. Do they print a lot of copies? What is the strategy? Do they save money on other areas like marketing?
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.
#2mogrockPosted 5/10/2013 5:22:15 PM
Back in December, Koei-Tecmo actually released a statement that they were happy with the strong sales of DOA5 (500,000 I think) and the only free costume pack we got was their way of saying 'thank you'.

I can't speak with certainty but it looks like good management and realistic sales expectations which are in-line with the budgets for their recent releases have played a part in them avoiding dismal press releases about not hitting expectations like Capcom, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, etc.
---
http://youtu.be/82aYFrsMGsQ?hd=1
http://youtu.be/5Ns-kXeQCMk
#3majere613Posted 5/10/2013 5:33:19 PM
It's the DLC, in part. DOA5 lends itself very well to making extra money through DLC sales, which is how TN can afford to spend close to AAA money on development without needing millions of sales to break even. Quite a few of us have effectively come close to buying the thing twice- and that's before DOAU :P
#4istuffedsunnyPosted 5/10/2013 7:20:16 PM
You know why Itagaki quit right? Pay disputes. Several other TN members quit over this. That's not the only reason but it shows that Tecmo is a company that 'manages money' pretty well
---
I have a radio in my car.
#5DaimeionPosted 5/11/2013 3:17:37 AM
"Very curious on how Tecmo makes money"

By shanking it's fan's money through deceit.
---
PSN: FateNightroad
#6djfanaPosted 5/11/2013 3:58:15 AM
Deceit ?
#7vega2505Posted 5/11/2013 3:47:10 PM
DLC milking...over here a lot of us go lolnope and won't buy it, but I guarantee most of the Japanese players bought all of it, because that's just how games in Japan work...you know lots of people over there buy all the Neptunia and Xillia DLC and that's hundreds of extra dollars...they wouldn't continue to do it if it wasn't profitable, it's just not profitable as much on the non-JP side.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#8TommaPosted 5/11/2013 4:49:17 PM
vega2505 posted...
DLC milking...over here a lot of us go lolnope and won't buy it, but I guarantee most of the Japanese players bought all of it, because that's just how games in Japan work...you know lots of people over there buy all the Neptunia and Xillia DLC and that's hundreds of extra dollars...they wouldn't continue to do it if it wasn't profitable, it's just not profitable as much on the non-JP side.

Idk if DLC makes THAT much money though....even if half the 500.000 people bought , lets say half, of the DLC it wouldn't be that huge a profit. Sure six figures but not anywhere near a million.
#9DaimeionPosted 5/11/2013 5:52:01 PM
djfana posted...
Deceit ?

Ops wrong word. "Indecency"
---
PSN: FateNightroad
#10docman864(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 5:53:22 PM
Daimeion posted...
djfana posted...
Deceit ?

Ops wrong word. "Indecency"

I need me some glass of milk.
---
if you don't play this game, you ARE part of the f***ing problem.