Who are OP/cheap characters in this game?

#1Rikumaru75Posted 7/14/2013 7:33:36 PM
I just recently brought this game and I want to play online but first I want to know who can be considered cheap or OP. I really like playing legit so I can beat my opponent fair.
#2finalgetsuga7Posted 7/14/2013 10:52:40 PM
ninjas bro mainly ayane or kasumi, players like to spam them a lot but theyre pretty easy to beat
#3EmiliaTheSagePosted 7/14/2013 11:56:12 PM
Lisa. She plays alot like Chreddy from Tekken. You'll never know when you're opponent will grab or sweep.
---
"Women don't stay in the kitchen to make sandwiches."
#4BramStarkPosted 7/15/2013 12:29:16 PM
OP? Hayate..
---
Now Playing: Dead or Alive 5 Plus
PSN: BramStark
#5Infernus93Posted 7/15/2013 2:33:29 PM
I'm going to say none of the characters fit that description. There are match ups that heavily favour one character over another, but since they all pretty much have that advantage at some point, it balances out.

People will always mention characters they have difficulty against, though. For me that's Brad Wong and Rig, but I definitely wouldn't call them OP.
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#6RX_93_Nu_GundamPosted 7/15/2013 9:52:47 PM
Isn't Helena pretty good? I think people wanted her to be nerfed.
#7nizam216Posted 7/16/2013 8:41:44 AM
EmiliaTheSage posted...
Lisa. She plays alot like Chreddy from Tekken. You'll never know when you're opponent will grab or sweep.

That is the first time I have heard someone say that Lisa is broken, then again I main her so maybe I am biased.

@OP - Sarah is god tier on this game.
#8Infernus93Posted 7/16/2013 9:34:32 AM
I remember hearing that about Helena early on. I'm not sure if she did get nerfed afterwards, or if it just turned out to be a symptom of not quite knowing enough about the game. Or both.

Everything I can find now has Helena listed as decidedly average (along with most of the characters). The people at FreeStepDodge have probably put the most effort into constructing and analyzing tier lists, and even they mention that some characters (e.g. Rig) haven't been looked into enough to be accurately placed. This is what they've come up with:

S: Leifang, Ayane, Christie, Kasumi, Sarah
A: Jannlee, Akira, Alpha-152
B: Genfu, Pai, Hayabusa, Brad Wong, Helena, Mila, Bayman, Hitomi, Kokoro, Lisa (La Mariposa), Hayate, Tina
C: Rig, Zack, Bass, Eliot

They put a lot into match up analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlpWyNEiiBMndEJVeVJvM2ZXbTNhc3VnajdMWC1GQ2c#gid=0

Something to keep in mind when looking at this, though, is that these are rankings built by people who know their characters at a tournament level. Not everyone is going to know which of their characters moves beats out what on another character. That's why, even as someone who likes to use Kokoro, for example, I get destroyed by Rig (a favourable match up), but can do very well against Christie (unfavourable). I don't know how to use Rig at all. I use Christie quite a bit.

I think it says a lot that half the cast fits into one tier. Even the entire A tier is barely above B, and Rig and Zack aren't too far out.
---
I like Monster Rancher.
#9gokuKOGPosted 7/25/2013 10:49:05 AM
Infernus93 posted...
I remember hearing that about Helena early on. I'm not sure if she did get nerfed afterwards, or if it just turned out to be a symptom of not quite knowing enough about the game. Or both.

Everything I can find now has Helena listed as decidedly average (along with most of the characters). The people at FreeStepDodge have probably put the most effort into constructing and analyzing tier lists, and even they mention that some characters (e.g. Rig) haven't been looked into enough to be accurately placed. This is what they've come up with:

S: Leifang, Ayane, Christie, Kasumi, Sarah
A: Jannlee, Akira, Alpha-152
B: Genfu, Pai, Hayabusa, Brad Wong, Helena, Mila, Bayman, Hitomi, Kokoro, Lisa (La Mariposa), Hayate, Tina
C: Rig, Zack, Bass, Eliot

They put a lot into match up analysis.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlpWyNEiiBMndEJVeVJvM2ZXbTNhc3VnajdMWC1GQ2c#gid=0

Something to keep in mind when looking at this, though, is that these are rankings built by people who know their characters at a tournament level. Not everyone is going to know which of their characters moves beats out what on another character. That's why, even as someone who likes to use Kokoro, for example, I get destroyed by Rig (a favourable match up), but can do very well against Christie (unfavourable). I don't know how to use Rig at all. I use Christie quite a bit.

I think it says a lot that half the cast fits into one tier. Even the entire A tier is barely above B, and Rig and Zack aren't too far out.

Pff the only thing I can agree with here is Sarah being on S tier. The rest of the tier list is BIASED. Ryu hayabusa, Helena, Kokoro and LIsa on B is the proof of that. Leifang on S tier.....naaaaaa and Akira...a crap tier character on A lol. Totally BIASED.
---
YOU ARE RACIST!!!
#10Rapham0nPosted 7/25/2013 7:07:34 PM
Well from what I've heard according to the Japanese players Gen Fu, Jann Lee and Hayate are considered to be OP.

Also a lot of people seem to say that Helena has a ton of problems that the player needs to overcome in order to be any kind of good with her. She is not the type of character that just anybody can use.

Again, this is only what I have heard from other people. I don't have any actual evidence to back up any of these claims. Although, having gone up against my fair share of Gen Fu users I definitely feel that is one character that needs to be taken down a notch or three. And in my own personal opinion the VF characters are broken in more ways than one. For example Sarah is not a grapple character and yet her throws do insane amounts of damage. Enough damage to rival the throws of the true grapplers in the game.

Also the tier list on freestepdodge has been updated:

S: Leifang, Christie, Ayane, Kasumi, Sarah
A: Jann Lee, Akira, Pai
B: ALPHA-152, Gen Fu, Mila, (Ryu) Hayabusa
C: Brad Wong, Helena, Hitomi, Hayate, Lisa, Bayman
D: Kokoro, Tina, Rig, Zack, Bass, Eliot
---
Thus did man become the architect of his own demise.