Metal Gear Games Chronological Timeline

#1gwetmore4523Posted 9/24/2012 5:49:43 PM
I played Metal Gear Solid back when it first released on the PS1 and really enjoyed it. I played Metal Gear Solid 2 but never finished and stopped playing the series. I recently got a Vita and decided to grab the HD Collection. Now if memory serves me correctly MGS1-4 don't actually occur directly in chronological order as far as the timeline is concerned. Can someone shed some light on which games make up the timeline? Looking at the Wiki I found that Snake Eater seems to be the first so I decided to start that game first, can someone fill in the blanks? Is it better to play them in order of the timeline or just MGS 1-4? What about Peace Walker? Thanks!

1964 - Virtuous Mission - Operation Snake Eater - Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
1970 - San Hieronymo Takeover - ??
1972 - Les Enfants Terribles Project - ??
1974 - Peace Walker Incident - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
1995 - Outer Heaven Uprising - ??
1999 - Zanzibar Land Disturbance - ??
2005 - Shadow Moses Incident - Metal Gear Solid
2007 - Tanker Incident - ??
2009 - Big Shell Incident - ??
2014 - Liquid Sun - Solid Sun - Third Sun - Twin Suns - Old Sun - Naked Sin - ??
---
PSN - W3tm0G
#2JongJungBuPosted 9/25/2012 4:13:40 AM
I think you can play them in either release order or timeline order and enjoy them just fine. Either way some of them have some very confusing stories. Though, I have never played MSG 4 so that's the one I would like to get around to some day since Rising comes out February or so.

Here's some holes I can fill in for you in your timeline...

1964 - Virtuous Mission - Operation Snake Eater - Metal Gear Solid 3
1970 - San Hieronymo Takeover - Metal Gear Solid: Portal Ops (PSP, not available on Vita unless it's available for transfer from a PS3).
1972 - Les Enfants Terribles Project - ??
1974 - Peace Walker Incident - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP/PS3, Need PS3 for PSP-to-Vita download)
1995 - Outer Heaven Uprising - Metal Gear (MSX Included with MGS3 HD edition or collection)
1999 - Zanzibar Land Disturbance - Metal Gear 2 (MSX Included with MGS3 HD edition or collection)
2005 - Shadow Moses Incident - Metal Gear Solid
2007 - Tanker Incident - Metal Gear Solid 2
2009 - Big Shell Incident - Metal Gear Solid 2
2014 - Liquid Sun - Solid Sun - Third Sun - Twin Suns - Old Sun - Naked Sin - ??

Personally, I found Peacewalker to be my favorite of the Metal Gear series (not counting MGS4, again since I haven't played that one). I only wish I had a PS3 available to transfer Peacewalker to my Vita (and play MGS4). You should definitely give PW a go if you can as part of your playthroughs, as not only does it feel like a console-level Metal Gear game, but its story links heavily to MGS 3.
#3gwetmore4523(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2012 6:25:10 AM
I guess Portable Ops will be next in line then since I do have a PS3 to copy the PSP games from. Also you listed 2 items at Metal Gear Solid 2, does it span two different spots in the timeline or are there 2 different campaigns?
---
PSN - W3tm0G
#4JongJungBuPosted 9/25/2012 6:54:57 AM
gwetmore4523 posted...
Also you listed 2 items at Metal Gear Solid 2, does it span two different spots in the timeline or are there 2 different campaigns?

They are both in MGS2 because they are linked events, and the events between the two isn't really that much considering it's 2 years. They kind of fast forward past the boring parts one could say.

The Tanker episode is a smaller campaign that takes place earlier in the timeline. Then a couple years pass and you go back to that location in the Big Shell (Plant) episode where it fills in the gaps of what happened between then and now and you pickup the story from there. This campaign part makes up probably 70% or so of the length of the game give or take. When you startup an MGS2 game you get a choice of playing either one, or both in sequence. Normally you'd choose the option to play both (in sequence) for your first run through. Hope that makes sense, trying not to spoil anything.
#5gwetmore4523(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2012 7:50:53 AM
JongJungBu posted...
gwetmore4523 posted...
Also you listed 2 items at Metal Gear Solid 2, does it span two different spots in the timeline or are there 2 different campaigns?

They are both in MGS2 because they are linked events, and the events between the two isn't really that much considering it's 2 years. They kind of fast forward past the boring parts one could say.

The Tanker episode is a smaller campaign that takes place earlier in the timeline. Then a couple years pass and you go back to that location in the Big Shell (Plant) episode where it fills in the gaps of what happened between then and now and you pickup the story from there. This campaign part makes up probably 70% or so of the length of the game give or take. When you startup an MGS2 game you get a choice of playing either one, or both in sequence. Normally you'd choose the option to play both (in sequence) for your first run through. Hope that makes sense, trying not to spoil anything.

Awesome, thanks for the all of the info, I appreciate it! Now I gotta go grab Portable Ops and Peace Walker from PSN Store!
---
PSN - W3tm0G
#6JongJungBuPosted 9/26/2012 4:55:25 AM
No problem. Try not to have high expectations for Portable Ops. Some people just don't like it. Others find it to be awesome. I think it's good, but it's not like MGS1 where pretty much anyone who likes Metal Gear series likes that one.
#7gwetmore4523(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 1:52:33 PM
JongJungBu posted...
No problem. Try not to have high expectations for Portable Ops. Some people just don't like it. Others find it to be awesome. I think it's good, but it's not like MGS1 where pretty much anyone who likes Metal Gear series likes that one.

So I've discovered that Portable Ops can only be downloaded on a Vita from a UK account. Unfortunately this was after I purchased with a US account. I also grabbed MGS1 and Peace Walker but it's pretty disappointing that I either have to skip Portable Ops or pay another $10 on a UK account to download and play it. I'm still debating whether Portable Ops is worth $20 or if I should just watch the cutscenes on youtube and move on with Peace Walker.
---
PSN - W3tm0G
#8JongJungBuPosted 9/26/2012 3:49:27 PM
gwetmore4523 posted...
JongJungBu posted...

So I've discovered that Portable Ops can only be downloaded on a Vita from a UK account. Unfortunately this was after I purchased with a US account. I also grabbed MGS1 and Peace Walker but it's pretty disappointing that I either have to skip Portable Ops or pay another $10 on a UK account to download and play it. I'm still debating whether Portable Ops is worth $20 or if I should just watch the cutscenes on youtube and move on with Peace Walker.

Wow that sucks. I'd say just skip it (watch cutscenes). It's the lesser of any of the MGS games anyway. At least you'll get to play Peacewalker.
#9gwetmore4523(Topic Creator)Posted 9/26/2012 4:45:59 PM
JongJungBu posted...
gwetmore4523 posted...
JongJungBu posted...

Wow that sucks. I'd say just skip it (watch cutscenes). It's the lesser of any of the MGS games anyway. At least you'll get to play Peacewalker.

Yea I just watched 2 hours of cutscenes for Portable Ops after I finished Snake Eater. Maybe one day they'll make it playable on a US account so I can go through the game. I'm about to start Peacewalker which I've heard is a great game.
---
PSN - W3tm0G
#10JongJungBuPosted 9/27/2012 3:49:13 AM
Yeah I'm wishing they would both be available on the Vita PSN directly. Hope you enjoy Peacewalker. It's my favorite one.