The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Translation for "Enemy officer defeated!" / "Tekishou, uchitotta!"

#1KungFu RiderPosted 3/22/2012 10:33:04 PM
Ever since DW5, the translation team has been pretty liberal when it comes to translating character lines to better fit the English script. One of the most obvious one was the ENEMY OFFICER DEFEATED line. In the Japanese version, most everybody says "Tekishou, uchitotta!" (or somewhere along the line), which is just "Enemy officer defeated!" in Japanese. This can be seen in DW7 if you switch to the Japanese audio where everybody says something UNIQUE in both the English voices and text when he/she defeats an officer, but its very apparent in the Japanese audio that they all say "Enemy officer defeated!"

Now being that this is the first console -Warrior game released without English voice-over, I was wondering if they stick with the direct translation of the audio for the written text script, or were they kind of liberal with the translation?
---
CYBORGS ARE SO CONTENT, I WISH I CAN BE ONE...
#2IxbranPosted 3/22/2012 10:36:45 PM
ive been told that the game is pretty much a direct translation of the original japanese text.

meaning all those unique officer defeated quotes and 1000 ko quotes are all replaced with "officer defeated" and "i am a true warrior of the three kingdoms" shtick.

any form of character development or personality's only found in the english dubbing of the games series is gone.
#3KungFu Rider(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2012 10:41:58 PM
Ha ha, if there is ANYTHING I liked about the English voice-acting/script was the officer OK and 1000 OK line. But based on your info, there is pretty much no chance they would release a English voice track. Oh well, I can live with it.

Also interesting to note, it may have been this very reason that DW5 (DW4 had Japanese voice option in Empires) through DW6 did not have the Japanese language option on disc, since a lot of the lines weren't direct translation... with the above mentioned lines being the most apparent.
---
CYBORGS ARE SO CONTENT, I WISH I CAN BE ONE...
#4RyosagiPosted 3/22/2012 10:47:05 PM
That's disappointing. That kind of tells me they might went for a faster release over a good localization. Could have had good potential with some character quotes.
---
I like to use exclamation points!! My favorite punctuation and it just shows emotion!!
#5ThatOneGuyStevePosted 3/22/2012 10:51:57 PM
"Entropy will triumph." -.-
---
If murder were legal, I'd play the genocide game.
Official Steve
#6IxbranPosted 3/22/2012 10:53:43 PM
Ryosagi posted...
That's disappointing. That kind of tells me they might went for a faster release over a good localization. Could have had good potential with some character quotes.

there are alot of hiccups like that in this game.

one of the funny ones ive been told is that in the stage you unlock Gracia, when shes trapped in that box that Masemune and Sima Yi cant open. they take the box to Zhang Jiao, and when he opens it they say "Your a Girl?!", after she introduces her self to them.

alot of stuff like that happens.
#7BrownDerbyPosted 3/22/2012 10:55:00 PM
From what I've seen, they just kept the same lines from DW7 and SW3. One of the generics even had the "I shall return, remember that" etc.
#8AC UnitPosted 3/22/2012 10:57:03 PM
Enemy defeated quotes are still unique even if they voice the same quote from what I've seen.

Sima Zhao's win quote is still 'That was almost too easy!' for example even though he says 'Tekisshou, uchitotta!'
---
"Wait what?"
The most appropriate response to most things these days.
#9yuber112Posted 3/22/2012 10:57:16 PM
Its true that most characters from DW and SW have genericish lines for that. But its still translated in the text as something completely different that would be more inline with their personality.

Like for example Kuniochi says "That's another one for the little girl!" whenever she get an officer k.o.

Also most of the new characters and mystics like Yoshitsune say things completely different in japanese besides the generic quotes that everybody has.
#10RyosagiPosted 3/22/2012 11:41:15 PM
That's good that they use the old quotes instead of generic lines. Do new characters like Joan say unique stuff?
---
I like to use exclamation points!! My favorite punctuation and it just shows emotion!!