Basic tips from a Beginner!

#1eloreiPosted 11/7/2012 7:49:12 PM
I just got the game and after playing all day I thought it might help people if I posted a few basic tips that might be overlooked - especially if you're new to the Harvest Moon franchise. I'm sure all of this is very simple but it couldn't hurt to post.

1. First and foremost, most of your money in the beginning will be made from selling bugs. Grow some turnips and water them before you leave your farm and after you come back for the evening (as well as take care of your free cow you receive within the first week!) but your money makers will be the bugs you find in the 'wild' areas.

2. Find a nice circular route that works for you to make the most of gathering things from the river, forest, and mountain area. The zones are all connected and as you go through each inevitably you'll end up back in town where you can sell and make another loop through if you have the time.

3. Save building materials like rocks and branches. Unfortunately you do not get a supply shed until near the end of spring (The 25th, maybe?) and while that means you'll have to carry around perhaps 10 items in your bag at all times, you'll be glad you saved up when construction time comes!

4. Fodder (from grass seeds) does not need to be watered. Water the seeds once (Because I'm paranoid) and then you can gather it with your scythe daily and feed your cows for free. Just make sure not to hit the grass when it's short or you'll destroy your 'crop' entirely.

5. Talk to each villager at least once a day. If you start early and add this into your daily 'routine', you'll find that by the time you're actually concerned with making friendships you're already at a familiar level with the characters and have a nice amount of friendship points.

6. Being a pack-rat pays off in the end. While you can make a little extra gold in the beginning by selling rosemary or other herbs you find, if you save many of the non-essential items you'll likely find that they're good gifts to villagers or requested through message boards. If this game is anything like the previous harvest moon installments, even weeds and scrap metal will be requested at some point from a villager. But you have to make money somehow! So sell those bugs.

Once you've made a nice routine of looping through the wild areas and collecting items and selling bugs, you can make a comfortable profit of 2-3k a day, not including harvest days when your turnips or what have you have come up. Cook them for extra profit!

So. Tl;dr - Handy tips for newbies from a person that just got the game today. Post your own tips of things that may seem simple but you probably wanted to know right when you started!
#2pokechampbluePosted 11/7/2012 9:06:23 PM
Cool tips i've got some to.

1. Give Flowers to Emma, Hana, and Iroha you will be able to get stuff like tools blueprints a new villager but i'm not sure about any others.

2. Grow Grass to make fodder for your barn animals or to make some money.

3. Grow Potatos and fertilize it to win the spring crop festival.

4. Keep Honeycombs, Chamomile, Mint, and Materials.
---
My 3DS friend code is 4339-2621-1486
#3LeanaunfurledPosted 11/7/2012 9:23:01 PM
Do NOT chop down small branches for small lumber.
---
http://i.imgur.com/INrw2.gif
http://i.imgur.com/4RgpO.gif
#4_The_Blode_Posted 11/8/2012 12:00:51 AM
Leanaunfurled posted...

sweet salted lord, this.
---
-Official Lord of the Victorious Minjo Brotherhood-
That's great. You won't be playing SC2 beta on your Mac though. - MBorella
#5Specdrag88Posted 11/8/2012 1:57:14 AM
HONEY COMBS
If I had only known about the honey problem!

Spend money to make it

Bachelors thus far (mid summer)
Allen- flowers
Neil- milk or fodder

Main: dunhill likes wine
Alice, Emma, Hanna like flowers
Iroha building materials
Clement fish
Rebecca...?

Totally circle through like 2x a day, my chick makes 6 k a day and is in bed by 4 usually
#6Sam Van DamPosted 11/8/2012 2:10:27 AM
Leanaunfurled posted...

And why is that?
---
[SVD]
sam. you are the silence to my lambs. - jmoneycgt
#7OniNoMeKyoPosted 11/8/2012 2:23:46 AM(edited)
Sam Van Dam posted...
Leanaunfurled posted...

And why is that?

you'll need small branches for blueprints. also, because chopping down round leaf trees gives you more small lumber than small branches.
EDIT: "blueprints" meaning you'll need small branches to make stuff (iirc. Bushes for town renovation plan 2).
---
PSN: OniNoMeKyo, Currently Playing: Uncharted 3, Disgaea 4, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2, until Hyperdimension Neptunia V gets a US release
#8Sam Van DamPosted 11/8/2012 2:30:05 AM
Good to know, thank you.
---
[SVD]
#9Sam Van DamPosted 11/8/2012 3:03:14 AM
Is it the same for small rocks or no?
---
[SVD]
#10OniNoMeKyoPosted 11/8/2012 3:19:15 AM
Sam Van Dam posted...
Is it the same for small rocks or no?

There are some minor blueprints that require small rocks, but a majority of the "small" stone blueprints require small material stones. I'd keep a stack of 99 small rocks, and convert them into small material stones, if necessary. Remember that once you change a Stone/Branch of any kind, you can't change it back.
---
PSN: OniNoMeKyo, Currently Playing: Uncharted 3, Disgaea 4, and Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2, until Hyperdimension Neptunia V gets a US release