How does fertilizer work?

#1do mi noPosted 11/18/2012 2:54:22 PM
How does fertilizer work? I heard that putting it on every day raises the star rating, but I just used 7 bags of fertilizer (1 a day) on some carrots planted in regular soil and the carrots that came out were only 1 star. I did the same with tomato crops in the summer: fertilized daily and the result was 1 star tomatoes. How do I get higher than a 1 star crop so I can win the monthly festivals? Am I not using the fertilizer correctly? It seems strange that 7 bags of fertilizer would produce the same quality crop as a square that was only fertilized once.
---
Now playing on Ragnarok Online's free Valkyrie server:
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/
#2KlinnyPosted 11/18/2012 2:57:31 PM
The fertilizer works, just very slowly. You generally have to fertilize every day, while also slowing down the growth of you crops, (only water the crops once a day, or let them wilt for a couple days so you can add more fertilizer).

Eventually you will have access to the Seed Maker. You can produce higher quality seeds from the fertilized crop, and then plant, fertilize again, and etc.

It takes a very long time and several batches of seeds to get high quality crops. If you're just looking for 1 and a half star crops to win the Beginner's Festival, you can usually accomplish that by delaying the growth of your crops as much as you can.
---
3DS FC: 1418-6969-9307
#3ShinononoHoukiPosted 11/18/2012 2:57:42 PM
do mi no posted...
How does fertilizer work? I heard that putting it on every day raises the star rating, but I just used 7 bags of fertilizer (1 a day) on some carrots planted in regular soil and the carrots that came out were only 1 star. I did the same with tomato crops in the summer: fertilized daily and the result was 1 star tomatoes. How do I get higher than a 1 star crop so I can win the monthly festivals? Am I not using the fertilizer correctly? It seems strange that 7 bags of fertilizer would produce the same quality crop as a square that was only fertilized once.

A trick is to not water the plants for a day so you can apply more fertilizer.
A good tip is to grow crops that can be harvest every few days so it keeps it's points.
But to get anything higher then a 3 star, you require the seed maker.
---
Previously Known as raging Hitomi.
3DS FC:5069-3994-5272 PSN:NanbuKaguya
#4do mi no(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2012 3:03:13 PM
Thanks for the tips-- I'd been watering slow-growing plants only once per day but had never tried letting them wilt for a few days to add even more fertilizer. I guess it takes a lot...

So if 1 bag of fertilizer = .5 stars to 1 star, how many bags does it take to get a crop from .5 stars to 1.5 stars?
---
Now playing on Ragnarok Online's free Valkyrie server:
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/
#5alianpePosted 11/19/2012 3:48:34 AM
do mi no posted...
Thanks for the tips-- I'd been watering slow-growing plants only once per day but had never tried letting them wilt for a few days to add even more fertilizer. I guess it takes a lot...

So if 1 bag of fertilizer = .5 stars to 1 star, how many bags does it take to get a crop from .5 stars to 1.5 stars?

It follows a points system. 1-30 is 0.5 stars, 31-60 1 star and so on. Store seeds are at 30 points already so you only need 1 fertilizer to level them once. At first each fertilizer gives 5 points, and after a few levels just 3.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsdaIXFAYMwzdG4tbUpaLXdqZVR1SzZLQ2VTcy11a3c#gid=0

That's a chart with how many fertilizers you need to level crops. Other things affect the rank too, I think the seed maker can increase it, but I don't have it yet.
#6Lady MurasakiPosted 11/19/2012 10:49:08 AM
do mi no posted...

"A few days" is 3 days which may kill your crop. Alternate watering days and put the crop on a gravel field to slow the growth down more.

Also this game doesn't allow you to fertilize the same crop more than once a day.

For my first spring, I planted a potato that I extended to about 10 days to maturity and I gave it fertilizer everyday. It was 1.5 stars at harvest. It's not .5 star per fertilizer at all - more like .1 star.
---
<<<Operation...Danger>>>
~~~Supreme Subleader~~~