Good title to pick up?

#1Ultima_OmegaPosted 11/19/2012 6:36:58 PM
I haven't played any Harvest Moon game after Back to Nature but a few days ago I started playing it again and that got me back into the series. Is this a good one to pick up or is there an older release that is just as good?
---
"I need a gun."
"No, I need a gun; you need to get the hell outta here before I find one."
#2StormfeatherPosted 11/19/2012 6:57:36 PM
Well, yes to both. Yes, this is a great title in the series, one of the top ones IMO, so you'd do well to pick it up if you liked the HM style in general. There are other good ones in the series recently though, although not so much on handheld.

Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility and Harvest Moon: Animal Parade are somewhat similar games (same townspeople, similar playstyle) that came out for the Wii, and both are great, although I'd go with Animal Parade. (Plus you can get it somewhat cheaply sometimes.)

Harvest Moon: DS was probably the best of the games on the DS, at least in my opinion, though I guess it's not to everyone's taste. Well, rather I liked "DS Cute" which is the female version... the regular version had a bunch of bugs though. -_-

If you go back a bit farther, A Magical Melody was for the Gamecube and was also quite good, although the art style probably wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

And the Rune Factory games (for DS and then two for Wii) are a ton of fun, if you like RPG elements and combat, exploring, crafting, etc. mixed in with your Harvest Moon.
---
Please insert witty quote here.
#31337ROXPosted 11/19/2012 7:01:31 PM
The first Rune Factory is the only game in the series I know of where you can actually DIE. I think there was another one that involved a lvl 99 poison mushroom.
---
That looks like a homing shot!
3DS: 4511-0726-1828
#4Ultima_Omega(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2012 7:28:09 PM(edited)
I've played Rune Factory 1 and 2 and I'm waiting for 4. I love the series but I always felt they were missing something. I'm only looking for games on handhelds, more specifically any on DS or 3DS since I don't have a Wii or Gamecube. Is Tale of Two Towns good? My favorite was the original HM on SNES cause I really liked all the little secret stuff you can find (tool upgrades, Magic Beans, etc.) and I'm trying to find something similar to that.

Oh and I'm pretty sure you can die in all the Rune Factory games.
---
"I need a gun."
#5AlimuffinPosted 11/19/2012 8:04:18 PM
agreeing that hm 3ds really redeemed the hm series as a whole.. my personal favorites are animal parade (wii), a wonderful life/another wonderful life (gamecube), save the homeland (ps2) and friends of mineral town.. for the gba? i think?

people don't really like awl/awl2 or save the homeland but they were like my favorites ever ;_; esp save the homeland.. not only was the plot really nice, the art style was one of my favorites. also, dat soundtrack.
---
3DS FC: 2277 6699 1168
#6StormfeatherPosted 11/19/2012 8:45:44 PM
Tale of Two Towns was.... well, different people have different opinions. :p I've seen some praise it, but most dislike it, and I fall down more on the "dislike" side. There was some good stuff to it, but most of it was just too annoying. Such as...

-Having to travel over the stupid mountain to go between the two towns constantly. Really annoying.

-Shop owners closing whenever there's a hint of bad weather. Yeah, Neil and Rod do that in this game too, but at least it's because they're outside and the other shops stay open.

-Random items for sale in shops, made much worse by the fact that they were sooo limited in number. I think Hana needs to teach them how to store and display lots of stock. -_- Along with apparently how to keep their roofs from leaking and closing down business.

-Cooking festivals so often, which would have been nice except a) it shuts everything down, b) you have to travel to the top of the bloody mountain (again), c) it takes most of the day, and d) results are mostly random. I can deal with some random element where the quality/whatever of your dish still has the most effect, but with just some randomness mixing things up slightly... but here, you had teams that were picked at random, and you could have an absolutely awesome dish and still be dragged down by bad teammates. Oh, and e) this was important, because story progress was based on winning the festivals. Because helping the mayors foster their hate for each other through competition brings them closer together, apparently?

-Weird crop systems and so on. I did not like the farming style in this at all, or the fact that you're forced to choose between too many things. (More crop space, or more barn space? Raise bees, or raise fish?) Yeah, it's not permanent, but still HIGHLY annoying.

...Yeah, I think I'll just stop there. -_-
---
Please insert witty quote here.
#7PikaleyPosted 11/19/2012 9:29:30 PM
Ultima_Omega posted...
I've played Rune Factory 1 and 2 and I'm waiting for 4. I love the series but I always felt they were missing something. I'm only looking for games on handhelds, more specifically any on DS or 3DS since I don't have a Wii or Gamecube. Is Tale of Two Towns good? My favorite was the original HM on SNES cause I really liked all the little secret stuff you can find (tool upgrades, Magic Beans, etc.) and I'm trying to find something similar to that.

Oh and I'm pretty sure you can die in all the Rune Factory games.

ive played all rune factories thus far and is by far my favorite series (hm is close but rune factory is top) ive ran through number 3's story at least five or six times and its still fun to me
---
3ds fc - 4983-5114-5815, Name: Brad
#8Ultima_Omega(Topic Creator)Posted 11/22/2012 1:33:07 AM
I got put off from RF 3 upon learning that you turn into a Wooly. Seriously. A Wooly? It couldn't be wolf or a dragon, but a fricken sheep? Well that and I didn't really like the main character's design too much. I'll probably pick it up at some point though cause the gameplay looks like an improvement. Are there still framerate issues with that one though?
---
"I need a gun."